Dave Ramsey ?

disneygirlatheart

DIS Veteran
I have seen you all discuss him so much, and have heard about him from other places. We need some serious help in paying down our debt. Please tell me what is the best book to get to read and the cheapest place to get it. Thanks in advance.

Usually around holidays he offers the TMMO (Total Money MakeOver) on his web site daveramsey.com for $10.

I picked the TMM up on ebay for about 10-12 dollars. You might try that and the Dave Ramsey website as well. I really do like that book above others I have tried.

Drew

I would highly recommend "Total Money Makeover" and I would also suggest that you check it out from your library.

The Dave Ramsey way is only for the serious-minded ones that are ready to follow a strict plan. He has an aggressive strategy for starting out, which you must get radical and save $1000 in 30 days, as I recall, by any means (legally) neccessary. Having garage sales is a good way to start.
Also, he wants you to cash your checks and always use cash instead of checks or CCs because paying with cash is tied to your emotions. Much harder to part with. So cash your paycheck and divy up the money in designated envelopes.
You have to plan a budget, which he does provide some great worksheets, even worksheets for those without regular income. Although, he says you have to be caught up on bills before you start the budget.
Another area where you have to get radical to get caught up. Sell stuff. Cut back on all expenses that are not absolutely neccessary.
Sorry to go on, I love the idea but had a hard time with it myself! :sad2:

I don't recall him saying that you had to save the $1000 in 30 days. Yes, starting an emergency fund of $1000 is the first step but I don't think there is a time limit.

Yeah, just finished the book (TMM) and he just recommends to do it as fast as possible to build momentum, but wrote in his book that the single moms of the world (and people with less income) will probably take a little time to save it up.

We need some serious help in paying down our debt.

I invite you to head over to savingadvice.com. Check out the forums there and you'll find a ton of people who have been there-done that with great advice for helping others straighten things out. Lots of friendly and helpful people (many of whom are regulars here, too).

check with the churchs in your area . our church does several courses a year and some times even offer scholarships.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter