• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Daughter's stuffed toy "lost" by housekeeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear your DD lost her stuffed animal - that is pretty rough but glad to hear she is pretty apathetic about it now.

Overall, it's a lesson learned and Disney went above and beyond in terms of compensation ($75 to BB ain't bad!). Truly hoping they find the lamb. Next time, maybe the stuffed friends should live in the suitcase while you're out?

Regardless, sending pixie dust for a safe arrival of Lamb!

My son had a great big bunny. He used it in the car for the long rides to disney as a body pillow. It had sentimental value. It was HUGE and somehow the housekeepers at the beach club took it. I can understand a small thing but come on....
I filled out the forms
Never got it back
Didn't ask for money because that would have done nothing to improve his situation
So it does happen and, yes, I do blame the person. But stuff happens.

Last May, my 19 y/o dd forgot to remove her iPod from her pillowcase in our AllStar Music room. She remembered it a few hours later, at MK. I told her we could go back to the room, but she said no, she didn't want to miss the Merida meet where her friend was Merida's 'friend'. So, we hoped for the bear, but truly expected the worst. When we got back to the room, there the iPod was, on the nightstand. Not even close to where dopey dd had left it. So, housekeepers do take time.
But sometimes, things get lost. It happens. Dd used to take about 5 or 6 olives with her to WDW. But she always took them off the bed and put them on a chair before leaving for the day.....and no, this wasn't last spring! She's been going to WDW since she was 5!
I'm sorry your dd has lost her favorite lamb. Bit, as you said, she has pretty much forgotten about it. You've been reimbursed, nicely. I would just take your dd to Build a Bear and let her go wild! Chalk it up to a learning experience and let it go.

I just don't see how it would be the guest's fault that housekeeping would accidentally take something during a linen change-out. It's not like there's warning signs in every room saying things left in the bed will be taken. [...]. yet they don't take an extra minute to take each linen off one at a time to make sure it doesn't happen. Ya see what I'm saying?

if it is THAT precious/irreplaceable to you then it is YOUR responsibility to keep track of it. why does Mousekeeping need to remind you of your basic responsibility in the first place?

I was a housekeeper for a hotel.. if I wasted time gently shaking out every rumpled pile of bed linens I'd never finish. and I'd never get clean replacement ones in time to actually complete the beds before the next day's guests began checking in.. and how often do we see people on here wanting to get into their room at noon or earlier?

Wow, some harsh opinions here. I don't see it as your fault at all. Kids leave stuffed animals on the bed. I would think that any Mousekeeper would be used to looking for this given the number of children that visit WDW on a regular basis.

I'm sure it was an accident, but preventable which is why they reimbursed you. I hope they find the lamb...but if they don't at least you can go get another one with what they sent you.

You came on and asked for people's opinions and experiences. People gave them. You're not happy with the general feel of the opinions, but you did come on soliciting input.

Also, did you create this account today just to ask this question? It seems you already had some opinions from FB and other venues so I'm not sure why it was necessary to make an account just to post this.

I do feel for the fact your daughter lost her toy, however she seems to have dealt with it and moved on. I find $75 a VERY nice reimbursement and I see no fault of the housekeeper. If the toy was sitting out in the middle of the floor and she scooped it up intentionally, that would be one thing. But, if your DD is anything like mine, stuffed friends often go wandering around the bedding - I once found a toy in the pillow case after a good night's sleep. I imagine the housekeeper just pulled up the sheets and bundled them into the cart.

As for responsibility of tracking it down, I think Disney goes above and beyond. DD once left a stuffed animal in the backseat of a rental car we returned at LAX. We called an hour later when we were at our gate and realized it was gone. Company apologized and said the car had already been cleaned. It stinks - it would have been in plain sight on the floor of the backseat had we taken the second or two to look - but it's not their fault... it's mine for not sweeping after DD.

I have to agree with the majority here and canot find any blame with mousekeeping. We only do 3 beds at our house and have seen items other than the sheets pillow cases going in a circle through the washing machine window:rotfl:

I was one of the lucky ones... my bear disappeared at a hotel when I was young, and shipped to our house a few days later. I have never since left a stuffed animal in the bed and felt like i had betrayed my stuffed friend's love. It IS a good lesson, and I'm sorry your DD had to go through it!

Alternatively, a lot of times housekeeping doesn't WANT to see whats in the bed. I also remember snuggling in at the same hotel once and finding a used rubber with my toes. Eww!! Housekeeping came and changed them immediately, a thousand apologies. Maybe the mousekeeper had been traumatized by something in a previous room...!

I was on a cruise with Disney oct 2010 and had my cell phone on the bed housekeeping came and put phone with laundry. We told her and she found my phone a few hours later undamaged. I still don't know how it got put with the laundry since the bed was made

Travel Lesson # 1: Never take anything with you that is irreplaceable.

#2: if you do it is "your" responsibility to keep up with it.

If you do this, you won't have lost items and unhappy children.

Hopefully others will learn from this mistake.

When they strip the beds, they just take the corners and fold them in on top of each other, they don't peal them off, shake them out. They have hundreds of rooms to do and are in a hurry.

Travel Lesson # 1: Never take anything with you that is irreplaceable.

#2: if you do it is "your" responsibility to keep up with it.

If you do this, you won't have lost items and unhappy children.

Hopefully others will learn from this mistake.

When they strip the beds, they just take the corners and fold them in on top of each other, they don't peal them off, shake them out. They have hundreds of rooms to do and are in a hurry.

Amen. I always make sure my personal items are off the bed and out of the way of housekeeping. Keeps my items safe, and the housekeeper has to spend less time in my room since everything is organized and ready for her or him.

Definitely not "blaming the victim" but its hard to be annoyed with housekeeping for neglecting to do something simple like shake out the sheets, when OP could have done something as simple as scan the room before leaving for the day. Lesson learned, and I do hope they can find it!

I empathize with you OP! When we were at Poly last August they somehow took my DDs hot pink leopard with the laundry. I knew we had never taken it out of the room so it had to be housekeeping! It wasnt particularly special...we always leave the most precious toys at home...but I thought it was safe to bring a comfort toy that would never leave the room,! Was my DD devastated? No...did she want her toy back? Absolutely! Silly me thought I could go home and replace it with a new one but apparently the new one had different eyes and she called me on it immediately! LOL! I only pursued it twice with housekeeping but it never showed up. I learned my lesson! All toys off the bed before we leave the room from now on! Good luck!

Wow... some of you guys are heartless! C'mon... blaming the victim?

No - it never left the room - the only thing the kids needed in the parks or while we were out eating was their MagicBands* and that was it. I carried everything we needed in the parks in a backpack... and definitely no room for the lamb in there!

I just don't see how it would be the guest's fault that housekeeping would accidentally take something during a linen change-out. It's not like there's warning signs in every room saying things left in the bed will be taken. You'd think they'd take a moment to make sure things like teddy bears and blankies don't get taken up with the linens - so that's why I'm saying this is more carelessness on the part of housekeeping. I mean there's a large percentage of kids staying at the resorts, so these things are bound to happen... yet they don't take an extra minute to take each linen off one at a time to make sure it doesn't happen. Ya see what I'm saying?

And yes, it does happen. Do some research, ask some friends. When I posted my dilemma from the airport on Facebook, several people told me the same thing happened to them, and they got their kids stuffed toys back.

Well I suppose lesson learned the hard way. I'll keep trying... we're at the 30-day lost toys are tossed mark now... and linens take a week or two to make it through the system - so there's still some time.

* - MagicBands... very cool idea BTW... they worked great for us each and every time.
I have the opposite view, it's my job to take the moment to make sure my belongings don't end up in the laundry by not keeping them in the bed. I am the one who should take the extra minute so I don't really see what you are saying.

I have the opposite view, it's my job to take the moment to make sure my belongings don't end up in the laundry by not keeping them in the bed. I am the one who should take the extra minute so I don't really see what you are saying.
I agree a quick scan would have prevented this. It was my first cruise and didn't know we got two housekeeping a a day

Thank you for sharing your story. Our son's stuffed turtle went missing from the room. We assumed it got tangled with the sheets. We filed the paperwork. The front desk lost the paperwork. No compensation or turtle since. It's a story about being cautious, what disheartens me is how rude some people are when giving their "opinions".

Sorry that your little one lost her toy. Although I understand how you feel, it's difficult to really blame housekeeping knowing how rushed their job is. It's easy enough for us to get items tangled in bedclothes at home when we aren't rushed, so I doubt that there is much that can be done to prevent the occasional lost item in hotel rooms. Sorry, losing a sentimental toy, regardless of blame, is tough.

It's a good reminder to us all to be vigilant and protect our valued items when travelling. Never leaving items on the bed has never really occurred to me, but obvious now that I read about it as a standard practice. I'll be more careful in future.

I do hope that you get it back! Good luck!

We've lost a couple of things in rooms. It's not a good thing, but sadly, it does happen.
So, now, I do scan the room and beds for 'stuff', which annoys DH immensely, since he wants to leave right now :rolleyes1

Critter Care 101
Before leaving the room for the day - or even for a short trip if you think Mousekeeping might be nearby - place all critters who are NOT travelling with you in the window, so they can watch what happens outside. Not only will you know where they are, they can greet you when you get back, and they might even have acquired a friend :goodvibes

I'm assuming that should WDW find and return said $75 lamb OP will return the money he received to Disney,right?
I'm calling troll on this one - OP has 3 posts total, daughter has moved on and wife 'doesn't want to talk about it'. Disney sent $75 to him and he can't 'get over it' or let it go? I'm thinking :stir:

Critter Care 101
Before leaving the room for the day - or even for a short trip if you think Mousekeeping might be nearby - place all critters who are NOT travelling with you in the window, so they can watch what happens outside. Not only will you know where they are, they can greet you when you get back, and they might even have acquired a friend :goodvibes

What a cute idea! I love it when mouse keeping does clever things w/ the towel animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter