Daughter's project on Walt Disney

lovemy3girls

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! My 6th grade daughter is doing a project on Walt, and on how his life and childhood influenced his creations. She is doing an amazing job so fay, but we were wondering something. I had heard that there are some things in Disney movies, parks, etc. that are directly influenced my something in Walt's childhood, for example I heard that one of the 3 little pig was named for Walt's childhood pet. Does anyone know of any of these influences, specifically in movies (even recent ones)? Thanks so much, we though it would be fun to include these.

Check the blogs and the newsletter archives over on allearsnet.com. It seems like some of their writers have done some things on Walt and all the different "secrets."

Thank you to both of you! We are checking out both of these sights! I forgot about the archives on allears. Love that website!

One thing that I have heard about Walt that I always found interesting is that he was fired from one of his first jobs at a newspaper( I think he did political cartoons). The editor said he fired him because he "Lacked imagination".

Here are a few things you may or may not already know:

Walt's idea for Disneyland was born during his Sunday morning "Daddy days" with his daughters. They used to go to amusement parks. He noticed during these trips that parents sometimes seemed bored and that the rides themselves were often dirty and rundown. So, he started thinking of creating a place where parents and children could equally enjoy and wanted it to always be clean and beautiful. In the early days, he wanted to name it "Mickey Mouse Park."

Main Street is fashioned after the small town of Walt's boyhood.

Walt loved to build things and he loved trains. He built a train, complete with track, that ran around the perimeter of his backyard. Both adults and children could ride it. He called this train the "Carolwood Pacific," named after the street they lived on (Carolwood drive). One of his train cars is on display in the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge Villas. The trains at Disneyland and WDW are fashioned after Walt's train.

After Disneyland opened, Walt would often sleep overnight there in his apartment (on top of the train station). Workers would sometimes see him walking through the park in the morning in his robe.

WDW was originally to be named Disneyland. But, after Walt died, his brother Roy had it renamed Walt Disney World so people would always remember who was behind this magical place.

Oh my...I could go on and on. I absolutely love Walt. If you're looking for some great info., check out Bob Thomas' book, "An American Original, Walt Disney." It's an incredible biography. I've read it many, many times and always learn something new about him. He truly was a visionary.

my ds did a report on Walt Disney in Nov. He had soo much fun learning all about him. He used Mickey's hand for the base of his report! It came out soo nice. Each page of the report was attached to a Mickey hand. The teacher gave him high pts for creativity! We also added photos from our trips. ie- Walt and Mickey statue infront of the castle, Walt and Minnie on the bench at the entrance to MK.

He really wished he had walked thru the 'one man's dream' exhibit in DHS last Aug. I had ds2 sleeping in the stroller so they wouldn't let me in and he didn't feel comfortable going in to look by himself. (not the movie). He is soo excited to go and check it out again in Aug.

Good luck with the report. there is alot of info on line and he even had a few books on Walt too.

Tried to find info you are seeking re: 3 pigs. Did not find that but perhaps this story will work?
From the book Walt Disney The Triumph of The American Imagination by Neal Gabler (Alfred A. Knopf, New York 2007) pg 105
Walt felt guilty about leaving his wife Lillian alone so much while working on projects. He moved her Mother in with them and by all accounts treated his MIL very well (his daughter Marjorie Sewell said he treated his MIL like a queen). He was fascinated by stories of pioneer life from the Bounds' life on the Idaho frontier, as related by his MIL. After once night where he stayed all night at the studio causing his wife some anxiety he decided to get her "another companion that first Christmas on Lyric Avenue." Even though Lillian dislike dogs, he pressed her for what kind of dog she would want. She finally said that if she had to have a dog that her choice would be a chow, although she really did not suspect that he would get her one, given her dislike of dogs. Walt picked out a puppy, kept it next door at his brother's house on Christmas eve and then presented it to her on Christmas morning in a hatbox with ribbon on top. She apparently melted when she saw the puppy and was inseparable from her. She named the dog Sunnee and the entire scene was incorporated into Lady and the Tramp years later.
There is a picture between pages 522 and 523 of Walt with his daughters, son-in-law, grandson and Lillian and a dog name Lady. Don't know if he named the dog after the movie or vice versa. This pic is obviously more than 20 years after giving Sunnee to Lillian for Christmas morning.
There is a lot of information about the 3 pigs but nothing of the personal nature. Thought maybe she could substitute the story about the hat box gift of the puppy for the personal element she is looking for?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter