Daughter's hair part is widening -

disneydreamersx4

DIS Veteran
We think it's because of her straightener. She is 12 and got the straightener about 6 months ago and she's only allowed to use it once a week. Her part is really wider now. Have you ever heard of this happening? We are making her stop using the straightener and hopefully her hair grows back.

i have never heard such a thing! i've been using a straightener on DD's hair 4-5 days a week for the past month, and i haven't noticed her part widening, but the thought is scary! i hope your DD's hair is back to normal soon!

I would think that it only would be an issue if she was pulling hair out with the straighter? It really isn't any different then using a blow dryer or curling iron unless it is too hot for her hair and she is burning her hair off. Try turning down the temperature control. So, why can she only use it once/week?

I would wonder if it is because the hair is being pulled at the same spot every time she fixes it. I am white, so don't know about the chemicals in straighteners, but from my own experience I have noticed that I will lose hair by always putting my hair clip or pony tail in the same spot. Maybe she could try changing her part around and see if that helps?

my now 16yr old has been using a straightner for atleast 5years, several times a week and that has never happened to her, maybe she is having some kind of hormone problem?

My oldest daughter is 19 and is a hair straightening addict. Her once THICK black hair can now make a ponytail the thickeness of a Crayola Marker...maybe.

The straightener is definitely pulling her hair out, heck I can tell that from looking at her bathroom floor LOL I'll be glad when stick straight hair is out of vogue.

Oh, and she has a $100+ Chi straightener so it isn't a cheapie brand.

She's away at college so when I looked for a straightener for her little sisters I wanted to get something that wouldn't pull the hair out. I ended up with this one and so far am very pleased. http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Dam..._1_16?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1270663797&sr=8-16

I would wonder if it is because the hair is being pulled at the same spot every time she fixes it. I am white, so don't know about the chemicals in straighteners, but from my own experience I have noticed that I will lose hair by always putting my hair clip or pony tail in the same spot. Maybe she could try changing her part around and see if that helps?

I believe the OP is referring to a flat iron, not a chemical, since she said she could only use it once a week, you don't need to chemically treat your hair every week. :confused3

No, I'm pretty sure it would not be from the straightner...I use my everyday and have been for years. It has be something else, unless it is actually ripping the hair out, but it should not be

I've been straightening my hair for about eight years and have never had this problem so I would doubt it was the only cause...unless she's pulling her hair really hard to straighten it? My suggestion would be to have her part her hair slightly differently, maybe an inch or two to the side for a while to give the hair in the middle chance to grow back.

If it's that noticeable it's time to have her evaluated by a physician. It could be a number of things and probably has little to do with the flat iron. It could be alopecia, a fungal infection, hormones, or trichotillomania, to name a few.

If it's that noticeable it's time to have her evaluated by a physician. It could be a number of things and probably has little to do with the flat iron. It could be alopecia, a fungal infection, hormones, or trichotillomania, to name a few.

My first thought was trichotillomania. Trich is a condition where you pull your hair out. my dd16 does this and she had a wide part due to do.

I use a straight iron almost everyday and I never had a problem like that.

My dd7 has Alopecia areata There are 3 kinds of htis hair disorder.
it falls out in small spots. (this is what my daughter has) We go to the dermatologist for steriod cream.(some times they use needles to the head we haven't had those thank god) But the hair comes back. some can cause total hair loss on the head and body. Will come back and there is the type that the hair doesn't come back.
My dd was tested and all her blood work came back normal.So hers is from stress(can't derstand what stress a 7 year old has but that is all they can come up with)
But I would take her for a blood work up and see what a doctor says.

Maybe it's time to change her part. If she has the same part in the same place for a long time, this might be a contributing factor.

I'm not in the medical field, but I think you should take her to her doctor & have some bloodwork done...could be thyroid issues....:confused3

My oldest daughter is 19 and is a hair straightening addict. Her once THICK black hair can now make a ponytail the thickeness of a Crayola Marker...maybe.

The straightener is definitely pulling her hair out, heck I can tell that from looking at her bathroom floor LOL I'll be glad when stick straight hair is out of vogue.

Oh, and she has a $100+ Chi straightener so it isn't a cheapie brand.

She's away at college so when I looked for a straightener for her little sisters I wanted to get something that wouldn't pull the hair out. I ended up with this one and so far am very pleased. http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Dam..._1_16?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1270663797&sr=8-16

If she doesn't straighten her hair, is her pony tail thick again? I know that when DD straightens her hair her pony tail isn't as thick as it is if she doesn't straighten her hair.

If she doesn't straighten her hair, is her pony tail thick again? I know that when DD straightens her hair her pony tail isn't as thick as it is if she doesn't straighten her hair.

We'll never know 'cause she won't stop using the darn thing :confused3

I'm not in the medical field, but I think you should take her to her doctor & have some bloodwork done...could be thyroid issues....:confused3

That's what it was with me. I was getting a fairly wide bald spot at my part (and I have tons of curly hair) and it turned out it was hypothyroidism. I started parting my hair on the other side too, which helped. That bald spot is gone now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter