Date Night ADR

KateDinVA

Earning My Ears
OK, fabulous Dis-ers - I want your opinions (a dangerous way to start a thread! :) )

Short question - where should DH and I go for a date night ADR on our January 2015 trip?

More pertinent details - we will be at Disney for 8 days with a standard dining plan. Most of our other meals will be with the kids and my SIL, and heavy on character meals.

We have park hoppers and our own transportation, so park/resort is not of issue.

DH is a [strikethrough]man of established tastes[/strikethrough] kinda picky eater. He's your standard meat and potatoes kinda guy, who loves ribs, lean meats, salmon, rice, and sweet potatoes. He has a bit of a sweet tooth, and has been known to pick a restaurant based on desserts.

I am a more adventurous eater (just no mushrooms - I'm allergic!) and crave a place where I can get something different for dinner, while still being "approved" by DH. I especially love Mediterranean food, and my "comfort food" is Americanized Mexican :thumbsup2

So, what do you say, DISers? Where do you suggest I "sell" him on?

We just had our first meal at Cítricos last month and it was incredible! The food and the atmosphere were superb. The menu has some interesting items as well as things that would (I think, anyway) appeal to the more picky palate.

The only downside for us, honestly, was the dessert menu...but we were able to order this from the children's menu and it was awesome!:

1eb8zq.jpg

First place that comes to mind...Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge and second...Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yachts Club...

First place that comes to mind...Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge and second...Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yachts Club...
Agree with Artist Point as it offers meaty fare (buffalo, pork, filet) and other fine options such as their signature salmon. Best of all, it offers a very romantic ambiance which you can embellish by walking around the grounds of the Lodge. Even if the kids come along, they would be very welcome in AP.

My second suggestion would be either Sanaa or Jiko. They both offer "adventurous" fare for you while maintaining items that would appeal to a meat-and-potatoes kind of person. Sanaa has two very good lamb dishes, tandoori-style offerings, and their increasingly well-known bread service appetizers (that could be a meal). Jiko is a bit more upscale (and expensive) but has a tremendous menu including the best appetizer I've had in quite some time--wild boar tenderloin--and a spicy Seswaa beef short rib entree that was the second best thing I had a few weeks ago (yep, the boar was best).

Have fun choosing. :thumbsup2

I would suggest Sanaa. It is (generally) quiet and imo, perfect for a date night. The "slow cooked, choose two" comes with two proteins and a choice of rice. The beef short rib is my husband's favorite. The butter chicken is melt in your mouth. The choices change sometimes and we have enjoyed all we have tried. For you, there is a some more adventurous choices like the bread sampler with 9 dips and the salad sampler which was so fantastic. The menu also has tandoori and other Indian entrees. We had a dessert there (banana kulfi sundae) that was one of our favorites ever.

The AKL is so amazing to visit. If it is light, you can see animals and if it is dark, you can use the night vision goggles which is very cool. If you can, visit both buildings, Jambo and Kidani as they are both worth a visit.

Jiko would be my second choice but we have had three meals at Sanaa and are heading back again next month. Hope you have a wonderful date night!

If you are willing to go off the dining plan and pay $$$ oop, I'd strongly suggest Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge. Food should suit both of you and the atmosphere can be very romantic.

I think Sanaa might be too much of a stretch for your DH. If you want to hold it to a 1-credit meal, how about a romantic carriage ride at the Port Orleans resort followed by dinner at Boatwrights? They have prime rib for your DH and various Cajun/creole dishes you might like to sample. Then stop next door for an after-dinner drink and a bit of Bob Jackson's show in the River Roost Lounge? Or if Bob does not appeal, schedule the carriage ride for after your dinner - and take a bottle of wine with you (yes, it's allowed).

We will be there January 2015, too! 7th-15th to be exact! We have chosen California Grill for our Date Night! Our ressie is at 7pm with Wishes scheduled for 8pm. I'm hoping that we might be able to get through our appy and entree before viewing the fireworks, from the restaurant atop the Contemporary Hotel, and then come back to the table for dessert afterward! I feel like they have a good combo of traditional American dishes and more fine dining, interesting options as well! ....And the desserts...well, they all sounds so good its going to take me the entire 180 days to decide what I want! :goodvibes

blueZoo is not on Dining Plan, so I suggest Artist Point or Yachtsman given your preferences.

Jiko and/or Sanaa can have flavors that might overpower your husbands palate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter