DAS - what to do while waiting?

KatLight

Earning My Ears
I'm sorry if this question has already been covered; how this works is probably so well-known that most people don't even need to ask, so I feel a bit silly for starting a thread about it, but I can't seem to find any ideas or info out there. We're heading to WDW for the first time in November and hoping to get a DAS for my eldest (he has autism, mental anticipation/excitement leads to trying to his emotions & physicality feeling unbalanced and thus seeking out sensory experiences through things like shrieking, flailing, unintentional physical aggressiveness, etc). Assuming we are able to get a DAS for him, what sorts of things do you normally do around the park while you're waiting? Speak with characters? Play interactive games? Can we go on other rides that don't have long lines? I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible so he doesn't start feeling physically under-stimulated.

Not such a silly question. I am going in November also with my daughter who also has Autism. My plan was to stop by the rides with really long lines (like 40+ mins) right before dining reservations. This way our "wait" will be while we are eating. Also I was going to try to fill the time with some shorter waits for rides/characters. Also try to check in with your DAS for a ride right before you use fast passes, this way by the time you finish your fast pass ride, the next will hopefully be minimal.

If you haven't already read it, the WDW - Disability Assistance Card thread pinned near the top of this forum is kept up-to-date. It should answer many questions about DAS. Just read the first post; the rest was discussion.

While waiting for s DAS return time you may choose to do almost anything else -- ride standby, use a FP+, shop, stop for a break, use the restroom, have a snack or meal, go back to your resort, etc.

Enjoy your vacation!

If you haven't already read it, the WDW - Disability Assistance Card thread pinned near the top of this forum is kept up-to-date. It should answer many questions about DAS. Just read the first post; the rest was discussion.

While waiting for s DAS return time you may choose to do almost anything else -- ride standby, use a FP+, shop, stop for a break, use the restroom, have a snack or meal, go back to your resort, etc.

Enjoy your vacation!

Ah, so you can wait in lines for other rides while waiting with a DAS? I thought I saw somewhere that wasn't allowed for some reason. Glad that's not the case; I was worried he might not do well with just wandering the park.

Ah, so you can wait in lines for other rides while waiting with a DAS? I thought I saw somewhere that wasn't allowed for some reason. Glad that's not the case; I was worried he might not do well with just wandering the park.

You can't have two DAS times, but you can use standby or FP while waiting.

MK has Sorcerors of the Magic Kingdom which is fun. We usually plan our time alternating FP and DAS times. We always try and have a time active.

I try to have my 3 FP for for midmorning and then get another FP when my last one runs out. the FP is a great tool to use to help with wait times

as fair as the DAS and what to do while waiting for my return time

do a FP ride
a shorter wait line
shop or look in shops
talk to CM/ pin tread
get something to eat whether I buy something or bring something in with me
play a game on my phone or at disney SOTMK at MK
watch the parade ( if they have one)
sometimes people watch

a few things you can do another ride while waiting for your DAS return time there have been some times I am not sure if can do a standby line or not so I will get a DAS return time then go in the standby and if I can do the stand by I will cancel the DAS ( get a new one for a different ride) if I can not I get out of line go find a quiet place regroup and then go in the FP line with my DAS.

you can only have one DAS return time at a time.

we try to schedule our FPs early and alternate FP With Das. The schedule long lines before meals is very good advice. My twins (autistic) find even short lines very challenging so we very rarely did standby. Things we did to inbetween include;
Play areas like tom sawyer island, Casey Jr water area, climbing play area by mission space exit and the boneyard
Shows are a great option. Street entertainment is perfect with no wait when you stumble upon it but is not always available. Some shows do put some big lines or have longer run times so you could have a wait but there are several we found that you basically never wait longer than it takes for the last show to finish and empty out and most of them have some pre show entertainment to make the wait easier. Shows i recommend are The enchanted tiki room, the Carousel of progress, and the country Bear Jamboree at magic kingdom, Disney 3D short films at Epcot. Muppets and little Mermaid at Hollywood and its tough to be a bug at AK.
There are also a very few rides that in all but the busist days are walk on or really close. At Magic Kingdom you have tommorrowland transit or what ever they are calling the people mover these days and no matter how long the line for the river boat is everyone will fit on the next boat. At Epcot you have mexico and figment ride. at one point i would have said the great movie ride for Hollywood studios but with so many closers right now no guarantee. AK has has very few rides and they have lines but they have animals to look at will your waiting on das.

I'm sorry if this question has already been covered; how this works is probably so well-known that most people don't even need to ask, so I feel a bit silly for starting a thread about it

Aw don't feel silly, these boards are brilliant and have been so helpful to me; especially around issue like this. As these type of things add an extra layer of difficulty while planning.

This is my first trip also wit my son (well he went when he was a babe in arms but doesn't count) and with the help of the boards, I'm slowly getting plans in to place.

Also you know your child best, so will have an idea of what will work for you. As with me queuing, especially in confined dark queues like POTC for more that a few minutes is not a option, but queue in a fast moving out door queue like Autopitia with around a 10 minute wait might be possible.

Also what is it your son likes to do? mine is obsessed with Water, so when I'm in Epcot I know the Jumping Fountain and the big fountain will just be mesmerizing and even if I had a 50 min DAS wait, I could plonk him in front of them and he'd love it.

The good thing about Disney is there's always something going on, like the show, street performers and as @ErinTwinmom said the Animals at AK.

I think it's just making sure you have a back up to plans, so you've got any length of wait time covered.

Good luck and I hope your trip is fantastic :tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter