DAS scheduling - issues

Hoodie

<font color=purple>Going to BC and GF with one wee
We had a couple of issues with the DAS on our latest trip. Getting it wasn't an issue - we brought the old paper one and frankly, after watching him wait in the line at Guest Services, I'm thinking they wished he had a DAS for that.

We did have problems with getting return times with anyone's band other than my sons'. For some reason neither my husband nor I could get return times based on our bands. Both our sons (even though only one is the DAS holder) had no issues. All 4 of us were available as part of the party after they scanned the kids' bands, but not as someone who could actually get the DAS time. We ended up taking his band several times so he didn't have to go to the ride entrance multiple times. It was a bit of a pain.

Another time was the return time for the DAS conflicted with a fastpass time. We actually had a couple that over lapped with no issue, but for some reason, one (in EPCOT) wouldn't allow us to get a return time because the return time was in the FP+ window. The CM gave us paper passes for that one (we actually got a lot of paper passes. CM individual scanners weren't working at several rides.)

Just some recent feedback on some stumbling blocks so others can plan a bit!

yah I have run into similar problems my friend could not get a return time one time ( for soroaing at EPCOT and I was waiting out side down the hill for her and she had to go and come back to get my band) also there were a few times I would scan and her would not let her in ( the CM would let her in) but I do agree there are some problems with the DAS being on the MB.

That's how it is suppose to work or at least how it was explained to us. DH would always take DDs MB to get the return time. Though they are linked it needs to go on band of the person with the pass.

That's how it is suppose to work or at least how it was explained to us. DH would always take DDs MB to get the return time. Though they are linked it needs to go on band of the person with the pass.
my friends have gotten a return time on there MB and I am the one with the DA card they have done this a number of times

It was my understanding that you must use the DAS holder's band to get a return time. I could be wrong, but whenever I was going to get one for my son, I took his band with me. I never tried to get one on a non-DAS holder band.

As far as getting a return time that is in a fastpass + window, I don't understand why that would be a problem since the return times don't expire like FP. Seems like that CM didn't know what they were doing.

We also got a lot of paper card return times last week. We had used it first on BTMR and they didn't scan us in, so it was never removed from our bands. None of the CMs at rides after that knew how to take it off, so just gave us paper cards. We went to EPCOT that evening, and the CM at Soarin' was able to remove it for us. She said all ride CMs have the ability, and should have the knowledge, to have fixed it for us.

Same problem again at BTMR later in the week. They are bad at scanning people in at the wheelchair entrance.

I believe "technically" the DAS holders band/ticket media is always suppose to be the first one scanned. The DAS holder doesn't actually need to be present just their band/ticket media.

The FP+ thing doesn't make any sense as the systems are not connected. Sounds like a CM who may or may not have been on a power trip. Just wondering was the FP+ time for the same ride as the DAS maybe that was why that it would mess up the system if it had two entitlements to pull from?

yes I often loop space montian and will get a DAS time and have my FP for the same time. so that I can loop it, so I think you had a CM with the wrong information, and you should be able to get a DAS return time on any band linked to the DAS holder but the person with the das must scan the Mikey first to get in.

If you can only get 6 on the return, the other members of your party can go in the standby line - you should be pretty close to getting through at the same time if you use the DAS as soon as it can be used.

To clarify:

We could use either child's band to get the return time (and only one was using a DAS), but not my husband's or mine. This wasn't returning - in that case we need the DAS holder first and then we follow. This was to GET the return. Even the CMs said that we should go back to Guest Services and have them re-link because members of the party should be able to get a return time, but when you return the DAS holder MUST go first. (Per Disney: Does the guest utilizing DAS have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction? No. Another member of the DAS Cardholder’s travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.)

The one we had issues getting because it overlapped a fast pass time was a system glitch. It wasn't the same ride, but it wouldn't let the CM give us an electronic return time because the Fast Pass was pulling up and blocking the time. She just gave us a paper pass to return. No big deal.

We ended up getting paper passes due to system issues at at least one attraction in each park. I know at the beginning they had some problems with the electronic DAS, but they seemed to diminish after a couple of months. I don't know if they system itself is already showing it's age or if something else was going on, but it appears to be a bit glitchy again.

To clarify:

We could use either child's band to get the return time (and only one was using a DAS), but not my husband's or mine. This wasn't returning - in that case we need the DAS holder first and then we follow. This was to GET the return. Even the CMs said that we should go back to Guest Services and have them re-link because members of the party should be able to get a return time, but when you return the DAS holder MUST go first. (Per Disney: Does the guest utilizing DAS have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction? No. Another member of the DAS Cardholder’s travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.)

The one we had issues getting because it overlapped a fast pass time was a system glitch. It wasn't the same ride, but it wouldn't let the CM give us an electronic return time because the Fast Pass was pulling up and blocking the time. She just gave us a paper pass to return. No big deal.

We ended up getting paper passes due to system issues at at least one attraction in each park. I know at the beginning they had some problems with the electronic DAS, but they seemed to diminish after a couple of months. I don't know if they system itself is already showing it's age or if something else was going on, but it appears to be a bit glitchy again.

Have had times where they could not add my friend to my DAS return time even thought we had been using it all day, so there are times the DAS dose not work like it should, but a trip to GR homily salves the problem and like a GR CM told me when people go there to get a problem worked out they know there is a problem and they can have there IT look at it.

I always have problem at space getting a return time the guest before me can get one the guest after me can get one space just dose not like my MB so I often get a paper one there, but I do agree it seems to be working better then when it first came out, I was there the day it came out and let me tell you that was not fun, ( well I really got it he day before it came out but that is another story) so I am glade thing worked out for you.

I think the system is pretty glitchy, I got several paper tickets on my trip last week.

If I need to rest, usually BF will take my magic band to go get a return time while I sit for a bit, though he's had it work through his band. I still make him take my band just in case. I've never had it interfere with Fastpasses, if that happened for you it was either a system glitch or a castmember who wasn't sure what they were doing. I've had a DAS return time and a Fastpass time for the same attraction at about the same time. I kind of feel weird doing it that way, but it certainly helps when I know I want to try to ride something twice in a day without walking completely across a park.

I've had a DAS return time and a Fastpass time for the same attraction at about the same time. I kind of feel weird doing it that way, but it certainly helps when I know I want to try to ride something twice in a day without walking completely across a park.

why would you feel weird
about this any guest can have a FP for say space between 12-1 and decided to get in line at 11 ( if the wait is an hour) and when they get off get back on by the FP line. For the most part I use my DAS as if I were in line I try not to do other rides while waiting and if I do it is homily the pope mover or something because the area I am in is just too crowded. But if you need a DAS to do Disney and you are using it as it was meant for then I would not feel bad about using it. ( not sure why some of the world look bold to me I am not meaning to do it)

why would you feel weird
about this any guest can have a FP for say space between 12-1 and decided to get in line at 11 ( if the wait is an hour) and when they get off get back on by the FP line. For the most part I use my DAS as if I were in line I try not to do other rides while waiting and if I do it is homily the pope mover or something because the area I am in is just too crowded. But if you need a DAS to do Disney and you are using it as it was meant for then I would not feel bad about using it. ( not sure why some of the world look bold to me I am not meaning to do it)

totally agree. Having a FP would not stop someone else form getting in a standby line if they wanted to ride back to back so not sure why the poster would feel bad. The only time it gets to be a big abuse is if you get in a super long line and wait there when you are saying you can't and thus have the DAS but if you are getting in a short line (like People mover or hall of presidents or whatever) while you pass time no biggie but if you can do wait 45 minutes in line for Ariel while you wait for your 7DMT FP maybe a DAS isn't the accommodation you really need. (note not saying anyone one on this board does this).

To clarify:

why would you feel weird

totally agree. Having a FP would not stop someone else form getting in a standby line if they wanted to ride back to back so not sure why the poster would feel bad. The only time it gets to be a big abuse is if you get in a super long line and wait there when you are saying you can't and thus have the DAS but if you are getting in a short line (like People mover or hall of presidents or whatever) while you pass time no biggie but if you can do wait 45 minutes in line for Ariel while you wait for your 7DMT FP maybe a DAS isn't the accommodation you really need. (note not saying anyone one on this board does this).

If the DAS return time started at the same time as a FP+ return time, I can see the issue - you can't be two places at once, can you? So why should you be able to have a DAS time and a FP+ time at the same time? Now, if you started at the same time the other one ended, that would make sense.

If the DAS return time started at the same time as a FP+ return time, I can see the issue - you can't be two places at once, can you? So why should you be able to have a DAS time and a FP+ time at the same time? Now, if you started at the same time the other one ended, that would make sense.
why would it matter

ok so I know I want to loop space I have a FP for between 12-1

around 11 I start to keep an eye on the wait time I see it is an hour wait so I go get in line around 11:15 I ride get off and it is 12:20 I then go and use my FP too loop

Now with the DAS I know I want to loop space I have a FP fro 12-1 around 11 I start to check the wait time I see a 60 minute I walk over to space and get there at 11:15 and ask for a return time they tell me to come back at 12:05 or any time after I go do something come back and use my DAS then get off and use my FP/

so see you can do it any guest can do it, it just take planning

but I will also say that because of one of my disability I have had EMT called on just about every trip and every trip I have seen hour at first aid I do less then the average person at the park dose ( trust me) so the one time a trip ( not even some trips) that the wait is over an hour for a ride that I have a FP for I may get to do one more ride that hour but what about the time I spent waiting for EMT in first aid or in the hospital ( yes it has happened a few times) trust me I would give anything not to have (8 or 9) disabilities.

Last edited:

I was thinking if you could wait the full standby time ride and then use your FP. So say at 11:30 you get a return time of 60 minutes and go wait you return at 12:30 and ride you had a fp for 12-1 so as soon as you get off you get to ride again. A non-das guest could have done the same thing.

but I will also say that because of one of my disability I have had EMT called on just about every trip and every trip I have seen hour at first aid I do less then the average person at the park dose ( trust me) so the one time a trip ( not even some trips) that the wait is over an hour for a ride that I have a FP for I may get to do one more ride that hour but what about the time I spent waiting for EMT in first aid or in the hospital ( yes it has happened a few times) trust me I would give anything not to have (8 or 9) disabilities.

What does this have to do with anything else?

I was thinking if you could wait the full standby time ride and then use your FP. So say at 11:30 you get a return time of 60 minutes and go wait you return at 12:30 and ride you had a fp for 12-1 so as soon as you get off you get to ride again. A non-das guest could have done the same thing.

With a DAS, you can go do something else while you are waiting for the return time. When you are standing in the queue, you can't do anything else but wait in the queue. There is a difference. But I guess it is that way for every time you use a DAS, so there's that.

What does this have to do with anything else?

With a DAS, you can go do something else while you are waiting for the return time. When you are standing in the queue, you can't do anything else but wait in the queue. There is a difference. But I guess it is that way for every time you use a DAS, so there's that.

it has to do with you are thinking some one with a DAS get to do extra ( you said you can not be in two places at one no I can not be in fist aid waiting for the EMT or in the hospital and in line at the same time.

I am sorry you think people with a DAS card get something extra but I can just about say with 100% serenity that the people that Disney intended the DAS to be used for get to go on the same amount of rides that a none DAS user would. ( yes there are peoples that get a DAS that really should not that more then likely go on more rides then if they did not have a DAS) there are people that get 2X more FP a day then other guest do ( I will not go into how to do this) but I see that you do not care about then getting double, or what about people that get more FP people they have a small child and know how to use child swap, so it works for them. If you know how to use the tools Disney gives you then yes, you can go on more rides then the next gust can. Like I said for the most part people that get a DAS card that Disney had intended for really do not go on more rides. Unless you call the people mover, HP, COP ( wich most of the time I have my eye closed and I am trying to regroup my self on, so it is not like I am enjoying the ride or show) getting more rides then yes I do

I do not know if you use a DAS or not or if someone in your party dose( and if you or someone in your party dose then you can use it how you see fit, and I and other will use it how we see fit. And in whys that help us tour the park so that we can enjoy things. Within the rules set by disney) but you really need to get off the it is not fair thing you are on. life is not fair. if life was fair then there would be not need for a DAS system at Disney.

Last edited:
It was my understanding that you must use the DAS holder's band to get a return time. I could be wrong, but whenever I was going to get one for my son, I took his band with me. I never tried to get one on a non-DAS holder band.

As far as getting a return time that is in a fastpass + window, I don't understand why that would be a problem since the return times don't expire like FP. Seems like that CM didn't know what they were doing.

We also got a lot of paper card return times last week. We had used it first on BTMR and they didn't scan us in, so it was never removed from our bands. None of the CMs at rides after that knew how to take it off, so just gave us paper cards. We went to EPCOT that evening, and the CM at Soarin' was able to remove it for us. She said all ride CMs have the ability, and should have the knowledge, to have fixed it for us.

Same problem again at BTMR later in the week. They are bad at scanning people in at the wheelchair entrance.
The bolded is not correct.
Anyone whose Magicband or ticket has been linked to the DAS Holder can get a Return Time.
We have been to WDW multiple times for 10 - 14 day trips since DAS was put on Magicbands. We have had no difficulty with anyone in our group getting a Return Time with their Magicband.

When returning to an attraction, the guest with DAS needs to scan first. The Mickey head will glow blue instead of green, which alerts the CM to look at their screen and make sure the picture of the guest matched the person who scanned.
If you have both Fastpass and DAS Return Time during the same time period, if the person with DAS scans first, the DAS Return Time will be used first. If someone else in your group scans first, the Fastpass will be used first.

BTMR is a bit different and the difference is probably why they forget to scan. Because the regular line is not accessible, every guest using a wheelchair enters in the wheelchair entrance. Everyone has a paper ticket (or at least used to) , but only guests with DAS need to be scanned. For the rest, they just collect the card.

For removing DAS Return Times, even though they can't make Return Times, I think the CMs at the Fastpass stations should be able to help remove them.

To clarify:

My guess is the same as the CM suggested - that your and your husband's Magicbands did not link correctly. Did you go back to Guest Relations and get them re-linked and, if so, did they work after?

There are a couple of situations where I know they commonly give paper DAS Return Times.
They are the attractions like BTMRR and Jungle Cruise which have inaccessible regular lines.

Another situation is shows if you are requesting a DAS Return Time for a show that is starting soon. Some of the shows also give written DAS Return Times for guests with mobility devices so they can keep count of filling the wheelchair spots better.
Other situations include:
- wifi issues
- scanner out of power
- scanner not available
- and, during certain times in sunny areas, too much glare on the iPad screen.

That is not how it's supposed to work, anyone in the DAS party is supposed to be able to get a return time as they are all linked to the DAS. The person who the DAS is for however has to be the first one to scan their band when they arrive back to the ride at the designated time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter