DAS Runner/Friendship Boats questions

DrGirly

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

My family used the DAS technology on the Magic Bands earlier this year and it worked perfectly for us. On our upcoming trip, we have an ADR at Beaches and Cream at the Beach & Yacht Club before heading into Hollywood Studios for the day. Is it possible for me to run ahead of the rest of the family, enter DHS while they are having lunch, and get an attraction return time before the DAS holder even enters the park? Or does the DAS holder have to have already come into the park in order to get a return time? I know that I can use my own magic band to get the return time for the family, but in the past when I've been the "runner", our DAS holder has already been in the park with us. Any knowledge would be appreciated!

Also, this is the first time we will be traveling with my father, and he uses an ECV. I am pretty sure, but can someone confirm for me that he will be able to take his ECV on the Friendship Boats that travel between DHS and the BC/YC? Is there a limit as to how many ECV's can be on the boats like there are for the buses? Our plan was to take the bus from our resort to DHS, then take the Friendship Boats to and from DHS and Beaches and Cream. I was planning on heading into DHS to get a DAS return time for Toy Story while the family loaded onto the boat and toward the restaurant, and then meet them there in time for our ADR.

You should be fine getting the return time before the holder enters the park.

Can't answer the EVC question, but I'm sure there is a limit for safety reasons per boat.

You have to be in the park to get a return time or to be put on for a return time if you are not in the park then you pretty much do not exist when it comes to the DAS I tried the same thing with a friend this summer. If you have time before to all go in and one person get the return time that would work

Last edited:
I don't know if there is a limit, but we've been on the Friendship Boats when there were two people using ECV's.

Or hunk I have heard something about the water leaves and if it is too low then no ECV can be on the boat but I could be wrong

The limit is 2 mobility devices per friendship boat. I travel with my boyfriend who uses a power wheelchair, we use the friendship boats all the time.

Hi all,

My family used the DAS technology on the Magic Bands earlier this year and it worked perfectly for us. On our upcoming trip, we have an ADR at Beaches and Cream at the Beach & Yacht Club before heading into Hollywood Studios for the day. Is it possible for me to run ahead of the rest of the family, enter DHS while they are having lunch, and get an attraction return time before the DAS holder even enters the park? Or does the DAS holder have to have already come into the park in order to get a return time? I know that I can use my own magic band to get the return time for the family, but in the past when I've been the "runner", our DAS holder has already been in the park with us. Any knowledge would be appreciated!

Also, this is the first time we will be traveling with my father, and he uses an ECV. I am pretty sure, but can someone confirm for me that he will be able to take his ECV on the Friendship Boats that travel between DHS and the BC/YC? Is there a limit as to how many ECV's can be on the boats like there are for the buses? Our plan was to take the bus from our resort to DHS, then take the Friendship Boats to and from DHS and Beaches and Cream. I was planning on heading into DHS to get a DAS return time for Toy Story while the family loaded onto the boat and toward the restaurant, and then meet them there in time for our ADR.

My understanding of the DAS rules are that the qualifying individual with the DAS must be present to get a return time. In practicality I am not sure that it is enforced

My understanding of the DAS rules are that the qualifying individual with the DAS must be present to get a return time. In practicality I am not sure that it is enforced
the person with the DAS card dose not need to be there to get a return time another person in your group can get a return time ( and disney dose encourage this with some disabilities) you do have to have all members of your party in the park to be able to get a return time for the person, but the person with the disability must be at GS when the DAS is being set up or renewed.

This is incorrect. The DAS holder does NOT have to be present to get a return time.

The DAS holder has to be present and scan their band first to use the return time. They have to ride the attraction/show. If they don't no one can use the return time.

Agree with other posters:
1) The person applying for DAS must be present to APPLY for DAS. This has always been the case, with DAS and with the discontinued GAC

2) The DAS holder does NOT need to be present to request a DAS Return Time. This has been true since DAS began.
From the beginning of DAS, Disney encouraged sending another member of the party to obtain the DAS Return Time.
That was considered part of the accommodation.

3) The person with DAS must go on the attraction that the Return Time is for. It is not for use by other members of their party without the DAS holder.
This was true also for the discontinued GAC, although people did use it for other members of their party (one of the abuses that DAS was designed to prevent).

Thank you all for the replies! I am relieved knowing that my father will be able to take his ECV on the Friendship Boats.

I'm still unsure whether I will be able to get the return time if our DAS holder hasn't come into the park yet, so perhaps we will all enter Hollywood Studios, and the family will stay by the entrance, maybe look into some shops, while I run to get the Toy Story return time. Then we can all head over to Beaches and Cream together via the boat, and then go on Toy Story all together when we finish with lunch.

I tried the same thing as you same ride too I was at HS and my friend texted me when she was on her way so I went over to TSMMA and asked for a return time I asked them to add my friend and her replay was she was not in the system and asked if she was in the park I said no she was on her way and was told you have to be in the park. I think your idea of all coming in and looking around there are plenty of street shows to watch or go in a store but in order to get a return time you have to be in the park. enjoy beaches and cream that is one place I am hoping to go.

I hope the DAS user has to be in the park in order to get a DAS time - otherwise, this is major abuse of the system, IMO. The DAS is to make it easier for a guest who cannot handle a standby queue. If that person is not in the park, he or she would not be in the queue. If Disney lets a family member secure a DAS return time without the person in the park, that is more than equal access, and illegal by definition of the ADA. I'm sure Disney knows this, and I hope they don't let the DAS tumble down the same path as the GAC.

Last edited:
The original statement released clearly stated this, however there has been no follow up, and it sound like that was likely modified, anyone have the link to the WDW published rules as they stand now.

Found it, yes the current rule does allow for a proxy, sorry for the outdated information

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

It didn't.

If you find the original discussions here on the changeover the rules have always stated the DAS holder not be present. It was argued at length.

It didn't.

If you find the original discussions here on the changeover the rules have always stated the DAS holder not be present. It was argued at length.
::yes::
The original allowed for someone else to get the DAS Return Time.
That was never altered.
As I mentioned, allowing someone else to obtain the DAS Return Time was considered to be part of the accommodation. That allowed the person with the disability to be able to not have to physically come to the attraction until it was time to go on.

And since you're not convinced that you're just flat out wrong, here's the tidbit from the original announcement in 2013:

• Does the DAS Cardholder have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?
    No. Another member of the DAS Cardholder’s travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.
Source: http://micechat.com/45512-disability-access-service-disneyland/

Which is where the story originally broke, I believe.

And since you're not convinced that you're just flat out wrong, here's the tidbit from the original announcement in 2013:

• Does the DAS Cardholder have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?
    No. Another member of the DAS Cardholder’s travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.
Source: http://micechat.com/45512-disability-access-service-disneyland/

Which is where the story originally broke, I believe.
I also believe that was where the story first broke.

This article was originally released October 4, 2013. The GAC changed over to the DAS on October 9, 2013:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/...service-card-replacing-guest-assistance-card/

Does the DAS Cardholder have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter