DAS: Interesting Update

Jennafoo

Mouseketeer
So, I mentioned that I was bluntly turned down for a DAS this past weekend because the CM said it was only for "cognitive disabilities", even though I'd had one before. The CM barely listened to my needs (I have kidney disease) and walked away before I could finish. I gave up. This seriously impacted my ability to tour solo.

I sent an email to Disney, and received a phone call from a CM named Linda. She was emphatic that I should have been given a DAS, and it is NOT only for cognitive disabilities. She said it should be done on a case by case basis, and that my disability absolutely qualified and she has no idea why I wasn't given one - especially since I had proof of having one before. She apologized profusely, and said I should have contacted a supervisor.

So, that's interesting. Clearly the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Unfortunately, as a solo disabled traveler, it's a lot of money and time to go through the crap shoot of what CM you get and whether they know what they're doing and are willing to listen. I don't know that I'm willing to take another chance...

It's bad that the answer they give is that you should have asked for a supervisor. No, all CMs should be properly trained to give the correct answer all the time.

I remember your situation and felt badly that you were treated the way you described. In fact, I went and read the "Disabilities" section posted on the Disneyland website so I could better understand where the CM was coming from. When reading your situation, I wondered if you asked for a Supervisor. But then I thought you were probably so shocked that you just wanted to get out of there. I am glad you sent an email. I am glad that you received a response.

I certainly would be willing to take another chance if I were you. I have read how much you enjoy your trips. Don't let one bad experience ruin that for you. Next time, you know to ask for a Supervisor.

I found that renewing my DD's DAS card was easy, mainly because we had her old card. They took her old card and issued her a new one. (Silly but, the CM just went to throw it in the garbage and I wanted it shredded because it has a picture and her name on it) I am sure it isn't going to be the same easy experience when they no longer have the card to turn in when renewing. Hopefully they will enter the information into their "system."

Edited to add: My DD did have to explain her needs again when we went to renew. I wanted to make this clear. It wasn't simply a matter that we had her old card and they renewed it without questions.

Last edited:
I sent an email to Disney, and received a phone call from a CM named Linda. She was emphatic that I should have been given a DAS, and it is NOT only for cognitive disabilities. She said it should be done on a case by case basis, and that my disability absolutely qualified and she has no idea why I wasn't given one - especially since I had proof of having one before. She apologized profusely, and said I should have contacted a supervisor.

So, that's interesting. Clearly the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Unfortunately, as a solo disabled traveler, it's a lot of money and time to go through the crap shoot of what CM you get and whether they know what they're doing and are willing to listen. I don't know that I'm willing to take another chance...
I don't believe that anyone from Disney said this. They have never said that there is a diagnosis or disability that absolutely qualifies. Is it possible that you expressed your needs in your email more clearly than when speaking to the CM? Maybe if someone is worried about that then writing a short note with their needs ahead of time is a good tip.

No, all CMs should be properly trained to give the correct answer all the time.

But asking for a supervisor right there makes sure the supervisor knows that the CM doesn't know the right answer, so they can be moved or properly trained.

Because no matter what, there will always be employees who were sleeping one day during training, who understood something wrong, who are having a bad day, etc etc etc. And it's fabulous when a supervisor has that pointed out to them immediately.

But asking for a supervisor right there makes sure the supervisor knows that the CM doesn't know the right answer, so they can be moved or properly trained.

Because no matter what, there will always be employees who were sleeping one day during training, who understood something wrong, who are having a bad day, etc etc etc. And it's fabulous when a supervisor has that pointed out to them immediately.

True, but when someone has just made you feel like crap, a lot of the time, you don't have it in you to ask for a supervisor at that point. Sometimes, you just want to leave before you let the person that treated you so bad see you cry.

I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience and worse, that it impacted your ability to enjoy your visit.

While it is helpful to bring a prior DAS back, the phone CM is incorrect as that is not guarantee a new DAS will be issued. People's needs change, including the need for a DAS. You should always be prepared to explain your needs again when requesting a new DAS. If you indicated "I have kidney disease" in requesting the DAS, that might have been an area of confusion for the CM. DAS is not diagnosis-based, but rather needs-based. Any given CM may or may not recognize how kidney disease might translate to needing the DAS. Yes, he/she should have further questioned and allowed you to fully explain. I also wouldn't bring the "touring solo" into discussion of why you are requesting DAS, as that shouldn't have pertinence either. Keep your request to the specifics of why you need to avoid a standard queue environment.

While rudeness is never acceptable, unfortunately we human-beings sometimes have a bad day or get things wrong. Unfortunately even those working Guest Relations. I agree that you should have requested to speak with a supervisor. Or alternatively, understanding the desire to get away from the situation and think, I would have returned later and expressed exactly how not having the DAS earlier was impacting your visit.

Please don't give up. I wouldn't let one difficult experience completely taint my view of the parks. I'd give it another chance so you can enjoy that visit!

I don't believe that anyone from Disney said this. They have never said that there is a diagnosis or disability that absolutely qualifies. Is it possible that you expressed your needs in your email more clearly than when speaking to the CM? Maybe if someone is worried about that then writing a short note with their needs ahead of time is a good tip.

Sorry, she did say it. I did not comment on whether she was right or not; clearly there's confusion on both sides.

I'm just reporting what I was told. I'm not lying.

I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience and worse, that it impacted your ability to enjoy your visit.

While it is helpful to bring a prior DAS back, the phone CM is incorrect as that is not guarantee a new DAS will be issued. People's needs change, including the need for a DAS. You should always be prepared to explain your needs again when requesting a new DAS. If you indicated "I have kidney disease" in requesting the DAS, that might have been an area of confusion for the CM. DAS is not diagnosis-based, but rather needs-based. Any given CM may or may not recognize how kidney disease might translate to needing the DAS. Yes, he/she should have further questioned and allowed you to fully explain. I also wouldn't bring the "touring solo" into discussion of why you are requesting DAS, as that shouldn't have pertinence either. Keep your request to the specifics of why you need to avoid a standard queue environment.

While rudeness is never acceptable, unfortunately we human-beings sometimes have a bad day or get things wrong. Unfortunately even those working Guest Relations. I agree that you should have requested to speak with a supervisor. Or alternatively, understanding the desire to get away from the situation and think, I would have returned later and expressed exactly how not having the DAS earlier was impacting your visit.

Please don't give up. I wouldn't let one difficult experience completely taint my view of the parks. I'd give it another chance so you can enjoy that visit!

Sorry, but you are making BIG assumptions about what I said. I actually did not tell her my diagnosis and did tell her that my frequent needed breaks and the fact that I was alone made it hard to wait in long lines. I told the last CM the same exact thing and got the DAS.

Honestly, I just wanted to share the confusing situation. Not to be attacked and called a liar or start a big deal. I'd love for this thread to be removed. Sorry I even brought it up.

I'm so sorry! I did not mean to imply that I knew what you said as you did not indicate that in your post. I guess I was also using it as a clarifying point to anyone new who might be reading and does not know the process.

Again, my apologies if my intent did not come across ... :flower3:

I think this thread is good. It shows someone that does not have experience with the DAS something that can happen. Now future people will know to speak with a supervisor if needed. I am sorry you are feeling attacked.

I feel very lucky that both times I needed a DAS I got the nicest most understanding CM's ever. I think it really just depends who you get and how specific you are. I hope that all your future trips are easier :)

Sorry, she did say it. I did not comment on whether she was right or not; clearly there's confusion on both sides.

I'm just reporting what I was told. I'm not lying.
I think it should be pointed out that that is not the answer that most people will hear. Otherwise it sets an unrealistic expectation for people that they'll get the response they want to hear, when that has not been the stated policy for the year and a half since the change. I'm going to send you a PM of a really good/bad example of setting up a bad expectation...

I really don't need continued contact from you, especially of a thread that has nothing to do with me. I said to the CM "IS my disability allowed?" and she said "Absolutely."

I'm not making it up. I'm not lying. And I know what I heard.

Please stop accusing me of something you're projecting. Do not contact me privately, please.

I'm leaving the boards due to this harrassment.

I really don't need continued contact from you, especially of a thread that has nothing to do with me. I said to the CM "IS my disability allowed?" and she said "Absolutely."

Please stop accusing me of something you're projecting. Do not contact me privately, please.

Sorry, I had already sent the PM before you posted this. Go ahead and block me, then I can respond to your posts without you seeing them.

I think it should be pointed out that that is not the answer that most people will hear. Otherwise it sets an unrealistic expectation for people that they'll get the response they want to hear, when that has not been the stated policy for the year and a half since the change. I'm going to send you a PM of a really good/bad example of setting up a bad expectation...

I would be interested in reading that too. tia

Your leaving for good? Honestly, if I allowed smarmy, snarky people to scare or insult me away, I wouldn't be here now.
Maybe take a break for a bit, then return to post. That is what I do.

I was trying to edit my previous post, the mobile site is not cooperating whatsoever. Anyway, want to add, I don't believe that anybody that has posted here, has intentionally insulted you. Just that it is easy on line for people to be taken the wrong way. Then there is the matter of people definitely being very negative towards someone. Again, I am certain that nobody on this thread meant to come across as being rude and or insulting.

Sorry, but you are making BIG assumptions about what I said. I actually did not tell her my diagnosis and did tell her that my frequent needed breaks and the fact that I was alone made it hard to wait in long lines. I told the last CM the same exact thing and got the DAS.

Honestly, I just wanted to share the confusing situation. Not to be attacked and called a liar or start a big deal. I'd love for this thread to be removed. Sorry I even brought it up.

If you're left you won't see this, but I'll ask anyway...what does being alone have to do with making it harder to wait in lines. It would seem to me that you can either wait in lines or you can't...I'm not clear on why being alone would make it harder.

I don't see why she'd say anything different?

Any disability is allowed. It's needs based.

I don't see why she'd say anything different?

Any disability is allowed. It's needs based.

Again, OP, I am sorry that you had this experience and that it impacted your visit.

I also think that you need to communicate your needs more and not your diagnosis. For example, I have a brother and a cousin who both have Parkinson's. Both of their needs are different. I am not doubting your conversation with the CM at the Parks and I am not doubting your conversation with the CM on the phone, I think it would be helpful in the future to list how Kidney Disease affects your ability to stand in the standard queue. I do understand how Kidney Disease could make it difficult, but, I think you need to tell Disney. If it is too embarrassing, then as someone has mentioned, write a short, bullet-pointed, need based description.

I hope that you will take this in the spirit it is intended. I do not mean to insult you and I don't want you to take offense. I am trying very hard for you to be able to go to Disney and enjoy your visits by offering suggestions. Knowledge is power and now you have 2 suggestions that you can try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter