1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

DAS for WDW first-timers

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by Drusilla, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Drusilla

Drusilla Mouseketeer

A co-worker of mine is going to WDW later this summer. It is their first visit ever to WDW. One member of her party has special needs. I explained to her the DAS card, how it works and how to get it. She then asked a question that stumped me, "How do we explain what help we'll need for [the DAS holder] if we've never been to WDW to know what issues we'll face."

My only suggestion was to explain what issues DAS holder has had in situations that involved crowds, lines, etc. and the CM will just know what help you will need with the DAS at WDW.

Any other suggestions ?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Maggie'sMom

Maggie'sMom DIS Veteran

That's the best advice you could give.

4. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

I agree.
    Because each person is different, they will need to look at what his invidual issue are.

5. tobikaye

tobikaye DIS Veteran

She probably needs to think about what issues they have going other places with lots of people and lines? If they have been to an amusement park elsewhere, they may be able to figure out what has been an issue there.

Unless they need a stroller as a wheelchair tag, they may be better off trying the parks for a couple of hours to see what issues they have to see if they need the DAS. Even if they need the stroller tag, they may want to see if that is enough for touring the parks or not. They can then go back to get the DAS when they know what issues they encounter.

6. Aristomommy

Aristomommy <font color=deeppink>We were in the “wild animals”

A CM asked us :" how do you handle waiting in long lines, crowded situations etc at home?" That's a good starting point for anyone to consider what their needs may be. Once I explained what we do with our child, he then explained the DAS and how it might be a good fit for us.

7. ttintagel

ttintagel DIS Veteran

Maybe you can describe in detail for your co-worker what a typical day at WDW is like for you and your family. And, maybe some atypical days where things haven't gone as planned. That might give them an idea of the sort of things they might be dealing with.

8. Drusilla

Drusilla Mouseketeer

Thank you :)