DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I'm repeating myself, but if DAS use needs to change, why doesn't disney just make some smaller changes.

They got rid of the pre trip rides......That's got to add up to a bunch of empty spots in lines.

Many people using DAS say their disney day is 4-8 hours, not 12-14 hours, why doesn't disney limit the times you can use DAS per day....6-8 uses per day. Yes, some people will line up 6 times straight for Rise, but that not 12 times straight.

Genie plus, ......I'm in the camp of "we do a quarter of the rides, but will do them over". Why doesn't disney allow 1 repeat per ride? Not talking just riding without getting off. But doing buzz, see COP, go back to buzz. You have now reached the limit on Buzz. And I'm sure there are others that would like this, not just us which is due to mobility issues. But what do families do with younger kids? Buy genie and could spent the day on the rides at fantasy land. They would go no where near thunder or space because of height restrictions.

Last edited:
I'm repeating myself, but if DAS use needs to change, why doesn't disney just make some smaller changes.

They got rid of the pre trip rides......That's got to add up to a bunch of empty spots in lines.

Maybe people using DAS say their disney day is 4-8 hours, not 12-14 hours, why doesn't disney limit the times you can use DAS per day....6-8 uses per day. Yes, some people will line up 6 times straight for Rise, but that not 12 times straight.

Genie plus, ......I'm in the camp of "we do a quarter of the rides, but will do them over". Why doesn't disney allow 1 repeat per ride? Not talking just riding without getting off. But doing buzz, see COP, go back to buzz. You have now reached the limit on Buzz. And I'm sure there are others that would like this, not just us which is due to mobility issues. But what do families do with younger kids? Buy genie and could spent the day on the rides at fantasy land. They would go no where near thunder or space because of height restrictions.
Makes complete sense and a lot more well thought out than what is currently being advised. I honestly never understood the prebooked rides anyway. Only was able to use them maybe half of the time

Maybe people using DAS say their disney day is 4-8 hours, not 12-14 hours, why doesn't disney limit the times you can use DAS per day....6-8 uses per day. Yes, some people will line up 6 times straight for Rise, but that not 12 times straight.

This sounds so very reasonable to most of us. And would solve so many of the limitations people on these threads have posted about! But because of ADA laws (as I understand them) Disney cannot restrict DAS availability if the stand-by line is open. They cannot accept the guests needs disability access through the DAS rider line and then restrict that access or cap it.
They have to not issue it to start with.

This is the way laws get changed though. The population changes and laws should adapt so Disney could do something like that.

An update from Facebook from the lady who was denied DAS and told to leave her five year old alone in line and also to hire an ECC whilst visually impaired. She edited her post to say that on the first day in the parks she went to guest relations filed a complaint as she went to the ECV rental and they were still going to let her rent an ECV despite it being dangerous to herself and others. She called back the next day and spoke to someone else and went methodically through why all of their suggestions didn’t work, having spent a day in the parks, and was subsequently approved for DAS despite being initially denied.

An update from Facebook from the lady who was denied DAS and told to leave her five year old alone in line and also to hire an ECC whilst visually impaired. She edited her post to say that on the first day in the parks she went to guest relations filed a complaint as she went to the ECV rental and they were still going to let her rent an ECV despite it being dangerous to herself and others. She called back the next day and spoke to someone else and went methodically through why all of their suggestions didn’t work, having spent a day in the parks, and was subsequently approved for DAS despite being initially denied.
I still think this emphasizes what is one of their biggest potential problems - liability.

Someone explains the need for accommodation, Disney says no (not because the person doesn't need the accommodation but because they're being told to say no). The person has issues and puts Disney on notice of that. At this point, if anything goes wrong, it was 100% foreseeable for Disney and Disney recognizes that they're having largely unqualified people make the initial determinations. It is a legal clusterF of liability waiting to happen.

The squeaky wheel always gets the grease. If they are folding that easily on an initial denial, this new system is only going to punish those who actually need it and aren’t great at advocating for themselves. Abusers and fakers are very good at it and have zero shame in repeatedly asking. It either needs to be a hard line in the sand or a modification of what it was before. Not a “only for this and this unless you ask us repeatedly”.

Am I the only one that has been wondering why if the LL lines are too long because of "DAS abuse" or an increase in DAS users, then how in the hell is denying those people and intentionally telling them to buy Genie+ going to decrease the LL line length?
This is a good point, but it is worth pointing out that Genie plus is much less generous that DAS in terms of rides gained.

I think someone above posted a good idea, that another solution could be to reduce the number of maximum rides possible through DAS in a single day. Possibly using a tier system like the old FP+ to avoid DAS users all concentrating on a few select rides.

I'm sorry, but, to me, this sounds like communication on what to say or do to cheat the system. People who want to abuse the system are going to be on here fishing for things to say to get DAS.

As of yet we do not know how WDW plans to handle Tiana's Bayou Adventure. Many have speculated it will open as VQ and ILL$ which is highly possible.
Tiana's has actually been confirmed on the Disney Parks blog here that it will open with a VQ! Nothing mentioned about ILL, but I know it was rumored that VQ will only be for a few months before moving to standby
Just want to point out—Per that same article (sorry, it’s not letting me keep the link in there for some reason, see Unity’s post) it will be Genie+, NOT ILL$.

I think people are missing the point of REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION. If you have lots of specific needs, including test results, to enjoy Disney, they'll probably help you out for a vacation.

If you say you plan on coming once a week, with your AP, with different people, they are probably going to back off the whole"going above and beyond" sort of thing.
I was saying that just prior to the May 20th deadline, that I think that APs are probably who they are generally going to target, more so than the once a year people, because they were probably the vast majority of the strain on the DAS system (where most of the abusers were from). I do hope the company still tries to help out those who are only coming for a couple days a year, especially, anyone who had already planned a trip with planes and hotels, etc. In 2025, it will be more fair game because everyone will have had news of this change for a while, but a lot of out of towners are stuck this year.

Am I the only one that has been wondering why if the LL lines are too long because of "DAS abuse" or an increase in DAS users, then how in the hell is denying those people and intentionally telling them to buy Genie+ going to decrease the LL line length?
And there you go making absolutely too much sense out of this nonsense. It is about the $$$. Disney wants to monetize moving DAS users to Genie+. People who can only be in the park for a short time of the day, and more than likely won’t be able to get “equal” benefit from that system

Once again…I get there are people that abuse the system. But this is not a fix for the people that were steered to that system BY DISNEY and are now facing the consequences

I'm sorry, but, to me, this sounds like communication on what to say or do to cheat the system. People who want to abuse the system are going to be on here fishing for things to say to get DAS.
Personally viewed it as more of an update on how the system is currently working as there’s been discussions around ability to appeal etc but obviously mods will edit if they disagree. That group has the same rules in terms of not disclosing conditions so there’s no detail on why she was applying for DAS or why the other suggested accommodations didn’t work for her. The ECV part was mentioned because (as with leaving a five year old on their own) it was a ridiculous suggestion from Disney for someone who also has visual difficulties.

This sounds so very reasonable to most of us. And would solve so many of the limitations people on these threads have posted about! But because of ADA laws (as I understand them) Disney cannot restrict DAS availability if the stand-by line is open. They cannot accept the guests needs disability access through the DAS rider line and then restrict that access or cap it.
They have to not issue it to start with.

This is the way laws get changed though. The population changes and laws should adapt so Disney could do something like that.
I have no idea of the ADA rules. If disney is doing an accommodation, does it have to be equal? I'm thinking shows or transportation. Only so many spaces for wheelchairs..

And I know it's very early, but aren't people who feel they should be getting a DAS being turned away. Disney is now deciding who is disabled or not. .

The issue with Genie+ repeats is that they would need to be carefully crafted so as not to take away capacity from other users. Why should guest A ride Slinky or Tower twice and guest B not be able to ride at all? Repeats would have to be limited to less desirable rides AND after some time in the afternoon to ensure everyone has a chance to ride. While I’d love to be able to repeat certain favorites I don’t think it would be the panacea that some here envision.

I have no idea of the ADA rules. If disney is doing an accommodation, does it have to be equal? I'm thinking shows or transportation. Only so many spaces for wheelchairs..

And I know it's very early, but aren't people who feel they should be getting a DAS being turned away. Disney is now deciding who is disabled or not. .
No, Disney is not determining who is disabled. Disney is determining what accommodations will be offered to a disabled guest based on their stated needs .

This isn’t about genie+. Many of us who use DAS also buy genie+ and ILLs.
a person, who truly needs DAS, should have been using all the tools available to them, to enjoy the parks as normal as possible. I was buying G+ and ILLs for every chance I could, because I am spending thousands to be able to come down to Orlando from Toronto for a 10 day trip and 4 days at the park, I know I have limitations and will be losing a lot of time, so to help out balance it out, I get G+ and ILL to help me out, and if there was more to pay for, I would, because I can't just show up to a park and just go into standbys like everybody else and last in the queues all day long

I do find it funny, when people are like "G+ and ILL won't work for me", listen they will work in some capacity, just comes down to your want to pay more or not, or too used to relying heavily on DAS alone

If I were to be denied DAS for my trip in August, it will be a shock of course and I would see a drop in what I could do in a day, I've been on DAS for 6 years, but I also have used every other tool they offered to get in the LL lanes like G+, so I am very familiar with it and have gotten quite good at getting maximum value out of it when I buy it each day, so it's possible my experience wouldn't suffer as much as some other DAS users. Regardless this year if I get it or not, I've already planned to show up earlier, stay later if possible, and buy even more ILLs if available. I'm not going to waste all the money I spent this year already. Next year, I'll have the choice to decide what I want out of a trip (if at all).

And they are doing so by going back to their original intention statement on who was supposed to be able to qualify. Which would all be fine and dandy if Disney wasn’t steering others towards this same system for years. They set a precedent and are now acting like we all misunderstood (?)

The issue with Genie+ repeats is that they would need to be carefully crafted so as not to take away capacity from other users. Why should guest A ride Slinky or Tower twice and guest B not be able to ride at all? Repeats would have to be limited to less desirable rides AND after some time in the afternoon to ensure everyone has a chance to ride. While I’d love to be able to repeat certain favorites I don’t think it would be the panacea that some here envision.
I've never bought genie plus, but if I am understanding right , you buy genie plus and then at 7 am, try to get a time for a ride? I've heard stories of slinky being gone by 7 :00:01. Isn't that the same thing? So you paid the $30 and still can't get the "FP" for the ride?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter