• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Mild vs Moderate vs Severe can have clinical meanings depending on the diagnosis, often defined by test results. Conversely, the disability may impact different individuals to a greater or lesser extent, which may or may not correspond to clinical definitions of mild to severe.

But all this discussion is simply pitting one disability against another and trying to show one is "worse" or "more deserving" than another. STOP.

Agree! But I do want to add that there are different varieties of boots. As an OT who worked in a level 1 trauma center, we regularly used a boot called an “air cast”—has an internal bladder system used to immobilize the foot/ankle. We used them frequently on patients who were non weight bearing. So there are instances when someone in a boot can’t walk and needs to use crutches and or wheelchair/scooter. I don’t know what the pp’s weight earring status is, but if I had a patient in a boot, ambulatory or otherwise (heck, I’ve been that person in a boot), I would absolutely advise them to use some type of mobility device.
This has nothing to do with DAS nor disney. But just to say, a situation can mean 20 different outcomes or needs for 20 different people.

With one of my broken ankle episodes....I went from hard cast, to air case to a laced up thing that looked like I was going figure shaking without the blade. Went from a walker to a cane. From fall to healed. 7 months. Not a happy time.

Up to that point, I thought, break a bone, sit on butt for 6 weeks, all better.

But all this discussion is simply pitting one disability against another and trying to show one is "worse" or "more deserving" than another. STOP
Ty mods!

My previous post got swept up in the cleanup.

Want to echo the request that we need to get through this change of accommodation strategy by Disney TOGETHER and be supportive of those having troubles navigating the new system coming.

If you cannot do that in this thread, agree to disagree and please simply bow out of this thread.

No it doesn’t…

however, what they have publicly released is that “mild cases might not qualify” for a DAS.

That means they are saving that
accommodation for people who have such severe challenges related their disability that they cannot be accommodated by any of the other accommodations they may be able to offer.

So if they are telling people that mild cases of disabilities might not qualify for a DAS…

then that leaves me thinking if someone does have a DAS under the new system, they will most likely have severe limitations ..

to be given that accommodation that Disney has publicly stated they are hoping to have fewer people use.
This is the actual wording from the WDW website area on disabilities:
"DAS is one of the programs offered at Walt Disney World Resort theme parks intended to accommodate only those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time."

And, further down:
"DAS is intended to accommodate a small percentage of Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time."

Other than including the wording "due to a developmental disability like autism or similar"
the rest of the words have similar meaning to what was previously written. If I remember correctly, it said something like,
"DAS is intended for guests whose disability prevents them from waiting in a conventional queue for an extended period of time".

I have not seen anything that implies "severe" as in 'don't bother trying'. People who are calling and contacting Disney about whether they would qualify are reporting they have been told to contact registration and discuss their needs.
There's a reason so many people with disabilities mention the phrasing of "mild" and "severe" being problematic. It's not a linear scale.
And, that doesn't have to do only with Autism or similar conditions.
ANY person's condition may have more or less impact on their ability to do what they want or need to do.
And, that impact is not always constant. There may be more or less impact on different days or times

These boots are often called “walking boots” for a reason, by the way. The doctors provide these instead of a cast to encourage continuing to use the foot / walking on it.

A walking boot should not be used for long amounts of walking. I broke my foot and was in one for 7 months because it was a difficult break. It causes improper alignment for the body which can damage a person's arch, femur, tibia, shoulders and hips. It is almost impossible to get proper alignment from a shoe + a boot. The back and hip pain associated with it can be excruciating after an hour or more of walking. I am fit and active. I sat more than I ever have in my life because of how it affected the rest of my body. That was suggested by the Podiatric Surgeon to avoid further damage that would require physical therapy or surgery. You can use a knee scooter, but that is only a short-term fix as well. It does damage to the knees and hip. Plus, if you get bumped from behind....OUCH!

Last edited:
Would mild/severe difficulties work better?? Genuinely asking since it seem what you have an issue with is the phrasing.
It's not the phrasing - it's that the phrasing represents a lack of understanding of disability. As @SueM in MN shared very well a few posts after this one - all disabilities exist on a spectrum, and the impact on the person with the disability is often not constant.

It's this lack of understanding, for ex, that results in disability stereotypes and judgments. For ex, like people having trouble understanding how someone using a wheelchair can also be ambulatory - and why there's often judgment of "that person can stand and walk, they don't need a wheelchair" or "why can they park in that accessible parking space, they can walk!" type moments.

It's not the phrasing, it's the lack of understanding that the phrasing demonstrates that's the issue.

ANY person's condition may have more or less impact on their ability to do what they want or need to do.
And, that impact is not always constant. There may be more or less impact on different days or times
I want to thank you and others who’ve expressed this so well - this thread has been weirdly and appreciatively therapeutic to me! As someone whose disability isn’t developmental and entered my life without warning, AND whose daily life rarely encounters triggers, the severity of my symptoms at theme parks continues to come as a surprise. Like, just as I think I’ve got a pretty good handle on what might trigger, why, and how severely, something I thought would be innocuous hits. It’s been helpful to hear from others that this isn’t unusual and is a large part of why appropriate accommodations based on need is important.

It is not clear that the supposed 8-10% figure some people are quoting is ONLY the persons registered for DAS and doesn’t include their entire group.

Just mathematically-speaking, if the 8-10% figure includes the DAS pass holder’s entire group, that would mean that only 2-3% of guests on any given day would hold a DAS pass themselves. (Assuming an average of 3 additional guests attached to each pass).

I’m not sure that Disney would institute a major overhaul if only 2-3% of guests were availing themselves of the program. If I’m understanding the website changes correctly, Disney now clarifies, “DAS is intended to accommodate a small percentage of Guests…”

If the number was only 2-3% that would already be a small percentage, so there would be no reason for the clarification.

If you believe Len’s estimate of upwards of 75% of people in the LL are beneficiaries of a DAS pass, I’m not sure that’s possible if the 8-10% figure also includes the pass holder’s entire group. Because, if 8-10% represents 75%, that means that Disney is only selling Genie+ to less than 10% of their guests each day…and that doesn’t seem plausible.

Again, I’m just looking at this mathematically. If the 75% figure is accurate, it’s far more likely that the 8-10% does not include the pass holder’s additional guests.

Now…whether those 75% and 8-10% figures are accurate is another story.

This has nothing to do with DAS nor disney. But just to say, a situation can mean 20 different outcomes or needs for 20 different people.

With one of my broken ankle episodes....I went from hard cast, to air case to a laced up thing that looked like I was going figure shaking without the blade. Went from a walker to a cane. From fall to healed. 7 months. Not a happy time.

Up to that point, I thought, break a bone, sit on butt for 6 weeks, all better.
Oh my lands you are so right. My 3 bone ankle break and subsequent pins, screws, plate and non weight bearing made me more depressed than ever in my life. I've had several major surgeries which I dealt with just fine but that stupid broken ankle threw me for a loop. I cried so much I couldn't believe it and the stupid ankle still bothers me 13 years later. And yes, I thought "ahhhh, I'll be off work, sit on a couch and watch Netflix". Instead it was a horrible experience. And yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but just being honest.

Aww aww

But unruly kids is?

I don't get the complete dismissal of physical issues.

How are you defining "unruly" children?

I will give you this....these days everybody needs instant gratification and society as it is now, for the most part, is parents gratifying their children with a lack discipline, a lack of "no" and always placing a device in their hands, which has resulted in a lack of patience. There are many studies out there showing that attention deficits and ADHD "signs" are often produced by instant gratification, always having screen time and a poor diet filled with bioengineered foods and artificial coloring. While that would make a child seem "unruly", are they ruining your vacation?

The bottom line is this...the number of people on the Autism spectrum these days is off the charts. How can any of us know who is "unruly" and who really has a medical situation that affects their brain? ASD does not wear a sign. My niece is 8 and on the spectrum and has the attention span of a 4-year-old, but high functioning. She does not appear to have a disability, but when you are around her for more than 30 minutes she can be "a lot". I love her with all my heart and have learned how to work her differences, but if I saw her at a grocery store, I might think "wow, that kid needs discipline". My other niece, 18, is on the spectrum and has severe dyslexia. She is also high functioning, but quiet, fidgety, and as sweet as she can be. Opposite ends, both high functioning. They do not wear a sign saying they have Autism or an attention deficit.

Maybe it is best to take a step back and say “maybe that child has a developmental issue that affects their thinking process and thank God my children do not struggle with that”. If somebody’s children bother any of us in the parks, we can just walk away. If you are in a line and they are bothering you, turn your focus from them and talk to the people you are with and appreciate what you have. None of these parents wanted this for their families.

Just mathematically-speaking, if the 8-10% figure includes the DAS pass holder’s entire group, that would mean that only 2-3% of guests on any given day would hold a DAS pass themselves. (Assuming an average of 3 additional guests attached to each pass).

I’m not sure that Disney would institute a major overhaul if only 2-3% of guests were availing themselves of the program. If I’m understanding the website changes correctly, Disney now clarifies, “DAS is intended to accommodate a small percentage of Guests…”

If the number was only 2-3% that would already be a small percentage, so there would be no reason for the clarification.

If you believe Len’s estimate of upwards of 75% of people in the LL are beneficiaries of a DAS pass, I’m not sure that’s possible if the 8-10% figure also includes the pass holder’s entire group. Because, if 8-10% represents 75%, that means that Disney is only selling Genie+ to less than 10% of their guests each day…and that doesn’t seem plausible.

Again, I’m just looking at this mathematically. If the 75% figure is accurate, it’s far more likely that the 8-10% does not include the pass holder’s additional guests.

Now…whether those 75% and 8-10% figures are accurate is another story.
Can anyone refresh my memory on where those percentages come from again? I know LT quoted 75% but where did he get that number? And the 8-10%? Unless Disney has released their current numbers (I suspect they haven't, but maybe I missed it), do we really know where (and when) they come from? Just trying to get this straight in my head.

Can anyone refresh my memory on where those percentages come from again? I know LT quoted 75% but where did he get that number? And the 8-10%? Unless Disney has released their current numbers (I suspect they haven't, but maybe I missed it), do we really know where (and when) they come from? Just trying to get this straight in my head.
From Len Testa's very anecdotal observations at a single ride (Haunted Mansion, I think?). He's a very smart statistician, so he probably didn't mean for this to be taken as gospel...but it has been spread and misinterpreted like crazy.

We are a family of 6, myself, my husband, our 3 adult children and one GD.
My husband has ASD we have never requested DAS for him because he has developed ways to cope in queues.

I have multiple physical disabilities which have qualified in the past for DAS but there’s a large question mark over now. Still I cannot be left alone.

One of my daughters and her daughter both has great difficulties waiting in line dues to ASD. They both require a lot of support in the park to make it work.

We have a July 2 week holiday booked (actually our 1st DVC!) and the uncertainty of it all has really dampened any excitement. I can’t even fathom how the 4 person limit would work for us! And I’ve given it ALOT of thought :sad1:

I’m hoping it doesn’t mean we can’t take our GD on rides without her mum!
Each person who feels they need an accommodation while at Disney has the right to phone and speak to a CM about it.
Explain your issues, your daughter can speak on behalf of her child and herself, and allow the CM to give you the accommodation they decide fits your needs. Each person can have their own accommodation independent of another member of your party. I do not know if DAS will be assigned or something else but do not go into it thinking all 6 members will be able to latch onto one DAS if one is offered. If it is allowed consider it pixie dust. Remember, there will now be people in your situation who will not even be eligible for DAS anymore and may have to do RS riding with one other person only. Everyone needs to adjust their expectations. Good luck and have a fantastic vacation with your family.

P.S. I believe that Disney may allow all members of a party to be on a DAS but only 4 would have to be chosen to go on any ride through the LL thereby allowing everyone a chance to ride with a child. This is speculation on my part only.

It came from Len Testa, so is unofficial, not verifiable and (as I understood it) is an extrapolation of a limited amount of data

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter