• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

The part of the rule of 4 that everyone argues back and forth against is, they need to keep it low to detract abusers, but it hurts the occasional visitor, who makes the trek to Disney maybe once a year, once every few years, or even once period; generally these are the people that make it a big family/friends trip because it's not a common thing you can just drive over any day you choose. I know people will say, well then just take turns and split the group up and ride attractions like that. The whole point of the trip in the beginning is to go TOGETHER, to experience it all as a group, a lot of grandparents wouldn't come if they had to ride alone. You wouldn't go to a restaurant and be told you need to split up and have 1 group eat first, then the second group eats right after, or a movie theatre, etc. etc. etc. Now, groups of 20 is overkill, half the time you couldn't even ride most rides at the same time regardless due to ride capacities. Let's just hope there is some flexibility in specific cases because a lot of DAS families have to do a lot of planning, and teamwork with family/friends to even make showing up to the park possible, nevermind riding the rides.

I do get the concept if you allow for 1, then you open the door for others. It's a hard problem for Disney to please because it's such a popular, large international theme park company that attracts large parties/groups.
The problem is that many DAS users on this thread aren't able to access some rides at all because the LL returns have gotten so long. With more than 10% of population having approved reasons they are unable to wait in line, it is unsustainable to allow average party sizes of even 4 to have unlimited access to lightening lanes, but Disney is trying not to limit it to DAS user and one guest at this stage. There are some families with 3+ children and they are likely to be accomodated, but Disney needs the rest of us to realize that the point of DAS is to allow people who otherwise can't ride at all to get to experience the rides, not to allow their extended families and friends to do every high wait ride together-- there are usually many rides or experiences in each park that do not have longer than 20 minute waits and those are the rides/shows we can do together with extended family and friends.

Yeah and they have the capability of waiting in lines without accommodation. If they want to ride twice, wait in line. I can have an MS episode triggered by waiting in the heat, so if I use Genie+, I am only able to ride:

Each ride once
Only if it’s available

Or I can risk having irreversible damage to my brain or spine.
Wow…ok…I didn’t say anything about DAS, waiting in line with medical issues, or accommodations. I was just pointing out that timing is a logistical challenge for ALL Disney guests. And that the challenges specifically alluded to by the previous poster apply to every guest who purchases Genie+.

If you pre-register before May 20th, the DAS will only be good for 30 days. Regardless of whether the trip is after the 20th.

If/when you pre-register on or after May 20th, the DAS should be good for 120 days.
So before it was 60 days from 1st park visit; and now it's 30 days from day of approval, or first park day? Sorry..so confusing

We still have no idea what accommodations for heat issues will be - if, for example, it is Rider Switch, then I would think it's unlikely that there would be any limit on party size, since all but one or two guests would be entering via the LL.

The assumption that DAS is the only accommodation that will be offered and that everyone who doesn't get a DAS will be told to get Genie+ has been debunked already.
I think you mean all but one or two guests would be entering via the Standby Line .

I wonder what if the grandparents, one has DAS, brought three grandkids along. All booked into same room.

Just thinking, not a case for us.
That’s a really good question and a very likely scenario that I’m sure happens at Disney a lot.
I would guess that Disney would not spilt up minor children in a party.. and assuming one of the adults has a disability, it would not likely be wise to leave minor children with that adult while the other adult waited so I would think that would be one of those “exceptions to the rule” sort of things (just IMO though, I have no idea what they plan to do in they situation ..but it seems like that would be reasonable🤷🏼‍♀️)

Last edited:
For those worried about being capped out at 4, there really is nothing stopping people from swapping bands, so even if A/B/C/D are the only ones allowed to be on the DAS pass, then E/F could swap bands with A/B once in a while and still go through the line, and A/B would go off to do a standby line/shopping/just wait. I don’t think Disney cares which bodies are going through the line (aside from the DAS holder, obviously). They just want to reduce the overall number of people getting access to LLs via the DAS.

I was shocked today to receive a phone call from Disney Disability Services. It was based on an email I sent them about registering for DAS for an upcoming trip to Disneyland in June (first day is 6/17).

My original question was about needing to register twice for DAS as some on this board had suggested (which has since been debunked I think) that if your trip crossed over the 5/20 (for WDW) or 6/18 (for DLR) boundary that your previously approved DAS would be invalidated and you would need to re-apply.

The CM I spoke with was very clear I would not have to re-register and my DAS would be valid for the length of my trip (or presumably 30 days for AP or Magic Keys).

While I had her on the phone, I asked about the change in eligibility for DAS. I specifically asked about the wording on the website which said "developmental disabilities". What I asked was whether that would impact eligiblity for DAS if the person did not have a developmental disability.

What she told me was that it is just an example of something that might qualify for DAS and that every discussion will be handled on a case by case basis just like it is today. She said they do not want to list all of the disabilities that qualify for DAS.

She said the only difference is that instead of talking with a CM that the Video calls starting on 5/20 for WDW and 6/18 for Disneyland would be with someone from their "Accessibility Services Team". I presume this still means CMs that are trained by medical professionals and not actual medical professionals, but it sounds like it is a different group of people (or possibly the same people doing the video calls today just under a different name and no longer the people at Guest Relations like it is today).

Anyway, I thought it was very interesting that she said there would be no changes to eligibility for DAS and it would be handled on a case by case basis. I suspect the devil is in the details and there will be changes to who qualifies for DAS but it will not necessarily be limited to developmental disabilities, which I think is the good news based on the conversation I had.

I know this is very much the same thing our awesome mods have been saying time and time again but I hope it also helps others feel a little better.

So before it was 60 days from 1st park visit; and now it's 30 days from day of approval, or first park day? Sorry..so confusing
It is confusing because from now until May 20th they are working through some short-term interim rules. Right now, DAS approval is valid for 30 days from the pre-registration date. You probably want to be sure all your park days are within the 30-day window so you don't have to re-register during your visit. If your visit doesn't begin until after May 20th, you can try waiting and pre-register at that point, then it should be good for 120 days (which should even get you to the Aug. renewal for your AP).

The more I think on this…

Say 8-10% of guests on any given day hold a DAS pass. And, each of those guests, on average, has 2 or 3 people connected to their pass. That means that, on most days, 25%-40% of guests have very little need to purchase Genie+. (I’m thinking it’s a fairly small percentage of people who combine DAS with Genie+.)

Economically-speaking, it would be a big win for Disney’s bottom line to increase the percentage of guests who have a less lucrative accommodation. Things like rider swap or leave-the-line would bring many people back to a more baseline experience that is, perhaps, equivalent to that of a regular standby guest. I’m thinking along the lines of “it’s doable but not perfect”.

And, if you want an experience that’s more “enhanced” than the most basic accommodation, or regular standby, you can buy Genie+.

The part of the rule of 4 that everyone argues back and forth against is, they need to keep it low to detract abusers, but it hurts the occasional visitor, who makes the trek to Disney maybe once a year, once every few years, or even once period; generally these are the people that make it a big family/friends trip because it's not a common thing you can just drive over any day you choose. I know people will say, well then just take turns and split the group up and ride attractions like that. The whole point of the trip in the beginning is to go TOGETHER, to experience it all as a group, a lot of grandparents wouldn't come if they had to ride alone. You wouldn't go to a restaurant and be told you need to split up and have 1 group eat first, then the second group eats right after, or a movie theatre, etc. etc. etc. Now, groups of 20 is overkill, half the time you couldn't even ride most rides at the same time regardless due to ride capacities. Let's just hope there is some flexibility in specific cases because a lot of DAS families have to do a lot of planning, and teamwork with family/friends to even make showing up to the park possible, nevermind riding the rides.

I do get the concept if you allow for 1, then you open the door for others. It's a hard problem for Disney to please because it's such a popular, large international theme park company that attracts large parties/groups.
I think Disney is being very generous at 4 guests plus more if minor kids. No matter what number they cap it at it will never be enough for everyone. When it was DAS plus 5 people pushed for more. There are plenty of things for a group to do together like swimming, shopping, shows, meals, fireworks, touring etc. that do not over burden the LL's. Also, a whole group can ride together on rides with short stand-by times. People are crying (not you) that their trip will be ruined, not enjoyed etc. etc. if their whole group cannot ride together. Really.....for 3-5 rides per day give or take is that what they base their trip enjoyment on? Everyone thinks their case should be an exception but tell that to the disabled person who now cannot get DAS because Disney says they no longer qualify. Even if they do RS they will only ride with one other person not their entire group. All of a sudden DAS plus 3 sounds very nice.

Folks -- just a reminder -- some posts are starting to stray back into speculation and how to "fix" DAS or the Lightning Lanes. Disney has already decided this, we just need to wait for info to come out.

I know it's hard without real answers, and people are concerned about the "what ifs" of their own situation and pending vacations. We just need to have patience.

Wow…ok…I didn’t say anything about DAS, waiting in line with medical issues, or accommodations. I was just pointing out that timing is a logistical challenge for ALL Disney guests. And that the challenges specifically alluded to by the previous poster apply to every guest who purchases Genie+.
I get where this sentiment is coming from… everyone has at least some challenges/ issues at times at Disney (or anywhere) …

I understand that those faced by people with disabilities can generally be more severe than those faced by non disabled guest ..

but I don’t think it’s helpful for either side of the

“DAS guests have it easier” and “standby guest don’t understand because they don’t have issues like a DAS guest does”

Argument to assume or think of this with a broad brush.

There is so much nuance here… people from all places of the spectrums from various disabilities causing all kinds of needs (from a need to be able to leave the line and return for whatever reason all the way to needing the ability to return to the ride later so they can take care of disability related challenges in between, or so they don’t experience extreme meltdowns and beyond belief anxiety while in the lines) …

and then there are those that don’t have disabilities but still experience different challenges ( some not “severe” but still take up time and cause extreme stress like maybe losing a phone in the parks, or even worse losing a purse or a wallet or backpack holding a wallet and then some really severe challenges, like the first trip back after losing a loved one, or maybe they are in the middle of a divorce or all sorts of other life shifting possibilities) …

But I said all that to say this: EVERYONE deserves to have a wonderful time at Disney.

And it’s certainly not my place to tell anyone what to say, but I do think that in this moment of transition and stress for a lot of people… we would all do well to err on the side of kindness when addressing this issue.

Disney will make these changes and hopefully they work for a better experience for all park guests no matter what they are struggling with in their lives during their Disney vacation….

Because it should be magical for all, regardless of the disabilities or challenges each guest faces ❣️

I just finished the registration process. Waited about 20 min for the video call, was done in less than 5 min.

We're going to WDW 5/21-5/26, planning to visit the parks 5/22-5/24, party of 4.

3-day tickets that require park reservations

DD has something in the realm of "developmental disability"

She was given the DAS pass, valid 5/22-5/25.

We were also offered advanced selections, but declined. So it looks like "old" rules still apply.

But I said all that to say this: EVERYONE deserves to have a wonderful time at Disney.

Because it should be magical for all, regardless of the disabilities or challenges each guest faces ❣️
THIS! ^

Disney is in a situation where they have to try to limit the cheating, assist those who need it and make it fair for those who purchase a service. It may end up changing again and Disney may actually offer more grace than we realize today.

Unpopular but truthful, Disney does not owe any special privileges or access beyond what the law requires. Disney is not required to offer DAS. Thankfully they do because we have had to use it several times. I love that Disney does that. Truthfully, they are not going to make everybody happy. We have used DAS in the past and may find that if we take a certain family member with us, it may no longer apply. :( She will have to make a choice rather she should go or not.

Disney has gone through these growing pains before. I remember when they changed the rules for bus loading with ECV/wheelchair guests. I recall when a family of 10 - 12 would roll up to a bus stop with an ECV after people had been waiting for 20 minutes and after the chair was loaded, their entire group would get on before those who had been waiting. We saw a group of almost 30 with 1 wheelchair where this happened at Pop Century years back and we had to wait for another bus after already waiting more than 35 minutes. :/ Disney had to make a change to that to try to curb people from cheating the system. Some families legitimately were "hosed" on it and those who used the wheelchair simply to get their party on the bus first were stopped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter