DAS card/pass at Disneyland - question

I just came back from a trip this week, and I just want to be honest with you about my experience. I worried about "taking advantage" too and tried to tell myself it would be okay without a DAS. I figured I was like you - I can walk pretty well as long as lines didn't slow down. I kept pushing through more and more pain, until I found myself stuck in a slow-moving line to be checked in for the World of Color dessert party while the CM decided to 'spread pixie dust' by having long conversations with everyone instead of moving people through. A 10 minute wait turned into 40 minutes of standing on concrete at a dead stop even though I was fifth in line, and there was nothing to lean on and nowhere to sit. My hip suddenly seized up and I could only move by dragging my leg behind me. I stood there in blinding, eye-watering pain listening to the CM chattering to someone whom she'd already checked in and given a bracelet to about where they could find the best Mac and cheese.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't assume all lines will always have some movement first of all. Second, the DAS is really there to help us. There's no shame in needing it.
I can't imagine, using a DAS or not, that spending 40 minutes in line so the cast member can chat is "pixie dust." Even though I would be sitting comfortably on my scooter, I would have made it known that she needed to pipe down.

Heck by the time she was done talking, I would have missed whatever it was I was going to.

I can't imagine, using a DAS or not, that spending 40 minutes in line so the cast member can chat is "pixie dust." Even though I would be sitting comfortably on my scooter, I would have made it known that she needed to pipe down.

Heck by the time she was done talking, I would have missed whatever it was I was going to.

Yes, I wasn't the only one who was mad, and she finally came close enough to be told to hurry it up. But unlike the people who were just upset that it was cutting into their party time, I had a different issue.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all of the support/help/ideas/opinions.

Is there a way for me to close this because I see some unhealthy comments going on and feel a bit responsible!

In a world where there’s enough negativity going on, let’s just assume that all comments here were meant to be helpful - that’s definitely how I took them! Thanks to all of you for your thoughts/ideas :)

OP, is there any way that an ECV would be useful for you? Would that help or make it worse?

Um. Not while you're solo. It was MY example

Of course it was your situation. No one is judging your situation or telling you what you could have done. And I’m not sure your initial post mentioned you were solo, but the OP won’t be. Since she won’t be, she has another option.

Not for every line.

And the post you’re taking umbrage with said that. They said that the woc checkin line is one where it’s easy to split up for. They didn’t say it would work for them all.

And as far as I can tell people are saying to get the das, which was a big part of what I took away from your post as your point. Lotta people on the same page plus with extra help for the OP’s situation.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all of the support/help/ideas/opinions.

Is there a way for me to close this because I see some unhealthy comments going on and feel a bit responsible!

In a world where there’s enough negativity going on, let’s just assume that all comments here were meant to be helpful - that’s definitely how I took them! Thanks to all of you for your thoughts/ideas :)
Hi,
One of the best things I ever did was swallow my pride and start using an ECV at the park. I don't need one in the rest of my life, but I'm not waiting in long lines on a daily basis. My knees and back seize otherwise. An ECV has saved my trips. It gives me a place to sit and wait. Made my trips much easier.

I did but only with massive medication and couldn't enjoy it. What I was trying to say is that other people don't always understand when someone has a disability the things we face and think that all lines move easily and we should be fine, because of course, THEY'RE fine. It wasn't the only line like that I faced, but it WAS the last, because I couldn't function after that. Not all solutions that seem so easy to abled people work for us. Make sure you think of YOUR situation and err on the side of caution, because it's not always black and white.

Trying to tour Disney based on how we think we should based on a.) abled people and b.) how we used to be can get us in big trouble. I know this intimately now.
I’ll add our similar but different experience. Our kids have brain damage. It causes anxiety. They appear perfectly normal, if “misbehaved” toddlers. But the “behaviors” are symptoms of their disease and if we were home: sleeping well in our own beds, quiet, just us around, etc. then it wouldn’t be an issue!

So, the first day they may actually do OK without DAS. But the rest of the trip would be ruined because the anxiety and stress will build up. So, we start with DAS. We take a midday break. We have lots of snacks. We don’t actually spend that much time in the parks. Last trip we were there 6 days with an AP and had about 5 hours in the parks a day. Our kids are older. We’re coming right after the time change so our kids will probably be waking up late and staying up late. So, this will be an all new adventure. I’m going in very open minded about our schedule. We only need 1 nap a day now since the kids are 2 & 3. But we’re using the DAS!

Totally agree with the above post. Having a DAS doesn't mean I use it all the time. The flexibility is one of the great things about it. One reason I put off applying for one for so long was because I kept convincing myself that I didn't really need it as much as other people. My bad days just weren't "that bad" and didn't occur "that often." Well, then they started happening more often and getting worse. And I finally applied. One of the best things I ever did at DLR -- that plus getting MP made a world of difference to our park visits. The first day we used DAS and MP together we did 4 rides in one day -- more than we'd been able to do in one visit in a very long time. Things aren't always so tough now, and I only use the DAS when necessary. But I am much more honest with myself about when "necessary" is my reality that day. I hope the OP has a wonderful visit, gets a DAS, and never even has to use it! But if she does, I hope she still has a magical visit -- because there's no reason why she shouldn't!
Oh, and just as a heads up, the OP might want to skip riding Matterhorn. Or, perhaps, send her husband on a trial ride to see if she would be able to stand it. That ride can be harsh on the neck and back!
By the way, did anyone answer you about where to obtain a DAS? You must apply inside the gates, usually at either City Hall (DL) or Chamber of Commerce (DCA). However, if the lines are too long (at City Hall in the morning, this can happen), try asking at one of the Information Kiosks (dark green umbrellas, CMs wearing red and blue plaid -- locations noted on the app). Make sure you've downloaded the free DLR app on your smartphone (you'll need it for MP anyway). The CM will ask you a few questions, explain the DAS system to you, have you sign an e-form stating that you understand the rules and requirements, take your photo, and apply your DAS to your app account.
(NB: The CM may ask you if getting an ECV or a wheelchair would be a better option for your needs. If so, then a DAS won't be given because it isn't for mobility issues. At DL, not all ride lines are accessible, so I think a wheelchair or ECV checks in at the exit and gets a return time -- other posters can verify this. At DCA, all ride lines are accessible.)
When you get a return time, it will be loaded on to your app. When you check in to the ride, the CM will need to see your tickets (paper or loaded on the app is fine) and will make sure that you are the one checking in (thus the photo). The return time is good all day, so if you need to take some time to rest, don't worry. After you ride and you want a new return time, ask at any Information Kiosk and a CM will help you.
Sorry for the long post. Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter