DAS card/pass at Disneyland - question

ebharris

Mouseketeer
Hello,

My husband has been looking into options for Disneyland so that we can experience it as a family as much as possible.

I had a life altering back surgery in 2015, and one of the biggest issues remain sitting or standing still for more than 15-20 minutes. Walking is fine.

Do you know if a DAS card/pass can be issued allowing one person to join the party once the line is shorter? He spoke to someone at guest services and they said we’d be given return times for rides, but I’m not sure that’s necessary? The rest of my family can stand in the lines, but I can’t unless I’m moving...more than 15 minutes of standing virtually still and I will be in agony within an hour.

I want to enjoy this trip with my family, but don’t want to take advantage in the process.

Lastly, if we do get a DAS is the only place to get them once we are in the park? Or can we get them outside the gates?

Thank you for advice! :)

Use the DAS with the return times. You still have to wait for the rides, you just get to walk around while you wait and then use the fastpass line or exit to get on the ride. If a ride has a 60 min wait, you will be able to come back and ride anytime after 50 min later. They take the wait time and subtract 10 min. You can only have one active return time at a time, so there is not really any advantage. There will be no other way to "join" your group towards the end of the lines. They are not typically set up that way. You'd be cutting in line.

Hello,

My husband has been looking into options for Disneyland so that we can experience it as a family as much as possible.

I had a life altering back surgery in 2015, and one of the biggest issues remain sitting or standing still for more than 15-20 minutes. Walking is fine.

Do you know if a DAS card/pass can be issued allowing one person to join the party once the line is shorter? He spoke to someone at guest services and they said we’d be given return times for rides, but I’m not sure that’s necessary? The rest of my family can stand in the lines, but I can’t unless I’m moving...more than 15 minutes of standing virtually still and I will be in agony within an hour.

I want to enjoy this trip with my family, but don’t want to take advantage in the process.

Lastly, if we do get a DAS is the only place to get them once we are in the park? Or can we get them outside the gates?

Thank you for advice! :)
Using the DAS system in place is not taking advantage of the process.
It has been established for situations such as yours.
It's the way a family can experience the parks and rides together.

I don't think there is a specific card/pass issued. Generally special needs are handled for each ride near the exit. There is a CM stationed there.
They will issue you a return time for the ride. You can mingle around while waiting for the return time, rather than spending the full time in the ride line. It's similar to FP returns.

CM's have told me the "line time" for a FP's return is designed to take 15 -20 minutes from entry in the line to loading the ride. I'd think a DAS return time would be the same or less.

Even while in a ride line there is some movement. I can't think of a time where we have virtually stood still for 15minutes.

In the launch bay seeing the characters, when in line there may be a long pause where there is NO movement. But it would be easy for you slip in with your family as they approach the entrance for their turn with the character. This would be the same for the Royal Hall seeing the Princesses.

Most lines it is impossible to join your party when the line is shorter. Using the DAS allows you to skip the line part but not the waiting part. If the line is short enough you can just get in line. If the line is longer (such as Space Mountain or Radiator Springs Racer) use the DAS, get a return time and then go do something else while you wait (eat lunch, shop, or go on another ride with a short line).

Last edited:
Using the DAS system in place is not taking advantage of the process.
It has been established for situations such as yours.
It's the way a family can experience the parks and rides together.

I don't think there is a specific card/pass issued. Generally special needs are handled for each ride near the exit. There is a CM stationed there.
They will issue you a return time for the ride. You can mingle around while waiting for the return time, rather than spending the full time in the ride line. It's similar to FP returns.

CM's have told me the "line time" for a FP's return is designed to take 15 -20 minutes from entry in the line to loading the ride. I'd think a DAS return time would be the same or less.

Even while in a ride line there is some movement. I can't think of a time where we have virtually stood still for 15minutes.

In the launch bay seeing the characters, when in line there may be a long pause where there is NO movement. But it would be easy for you slip in with your family as they approach the entrance for their turn with the character. This would be the same for the Royal Hall seeing the Princesses.

Thank you - it may not be an issue once we are there and I can judge how the lines are moving, or more how I’m moving in the lines! I just want to be able to tell my husband “don’t stress, they’ll take care of us” and have that ring true once we are there. I know that he’s smart thinking ahead, it just got me a bit nervous thinking about it - sometimes and forget that my health is now an issue when before it wasn’t.

Anyhow, thanks again for the replies! I appreciate it.

Most lines it is impossible to join your party when the line is shorter. Using the DAS allows you to skip the line part but not the waiting part. If the line is short enough you can just get in line. If the line is longer (such as Space Mountain or Radiator Springs Racer use the DCA, get a return time and then go do something else while you wait (eat lunch, shop, or go on another ride with a short line).
Thank you. This makes sense, the ‘waiting’ part should be okay as I don’t remember it being too long...or standstill. I know he’s thinking of rides like Peter Pan - that one always feels like I should have packed a lunch? ;)

Looking forward to going back, messy spine and all! My kids are 12 and 15, they were 4 and 7 the last time we were there :)

I just came back from a trip this week, and I just want to be honest with you about my experience. I worried about "taking advantage" too and tried to tell myself it would be okay without a DAS. I figured I was like you - I can walk pretty well as long as lines didn't slow down. I kept pushing through more and more pain, until I found myself stuck in a slow-moving line to be checked in for the World of Color dessert party while the CM decided to 'spread pixie dust' by having long conversations with everyone instead of moving people through. A 10 minute wait turned into 40 minutes of standing on concrete at a dead stop even though I was fifth in line, and there was nothing to lean on and nowhere to sit. My hip suddenly seized up and I could only move by dragging my leg behind me. I stood there in blinding, eye-watering pain listening to the CM chattering to someone whom she'd already checked in and given a bracelet to about where they could find the best Mac and cheese.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't assume all lines will always have some movement first of all. Second, the DAS is really there to help us. There's no shame in needing it.

Another suggestion: I use DAS for some lines, but have found that MaxPass is a real blessing in many other situations. Some days, depending on our ride selection, I don't even need to use DAS, but rely solely on MP and short regular lines. Look into MP to see whether it would work for you and your family. The two systems can be used together, which is really helpful. We have a friend with a situation very similar to yours. He tried DAS and found that for him, MP worked better. (His favorite rides are MP rides, so he wasn't really using DAS for anything else.) It couldn't hurt to try MP for even one day (maybe the first day of your trip?) to see how things go. If it works well for you, you can purchase MP for the rest of your days, too.
ETA: a very nice CM told me that if you ever need to leave a line because of pain, just explain quickly to the CM at the line exit or entrance (depending on where you entered the line). That CM will help you with a new return time and will get you any help, if needed.

Last edited:
Thank you to both of you for your honest, and helpful, replies.

I cringed at your experience @Jennafoo because that’s similar to what will happen to me. It’s unpredictable and debilitating when it happens, for me it’s my back and leg-but similar. I’m sorry. Were you able to enjoy World of Color in the end? I’m not sure we will go see it because other than the Dessert Party I can’t see there being an option to sit. I’m not sure I want to spend the money for the dessert party...but maybe :)

Thank you @theluckyrabbit for your MaxPass suggestion. That’s a good idea, and I’m not sure why we hadn’t thought of it as an additional support. We will definitely try it Day 1 to see if it helps us.

Thanks again!
Erin

I cringed at your experience @Jennafoo because that’s similar to what will happen to me. It’s unpredictable and debilitating when it happens, for me it’s my back and leg-but similar. I’m sorry. Were you able to enjoy World of Color in the end? I’m not sure we will go see it because other than the Dessert Party I can’t see there being an option to sit. I’m not sure I want to spend the money for the dessert party...but maybe :)

Thank you @theluckyrabbit for your MaxPass suggestion. That’s a good idea, and I’m not sure why we hadn’t thought of it as an additional support. We will definitely try it Day 1 to see if it helps us.

Thanks again!
Erin
Leave your party in the dessert line while you walk around. That is the one line that’s easy for.

Leave your party in the dessert line while you walk around. That is the one line that’s easy for.

Um. Not while you're solo. It was MY example and was only the worst situation in which the line didn't "always move some" as people mentioned earlier. It was NOT the only line that didn't move quickly, and it didn't matter, because after that encounter my ability to function the rest of the trip was curtailed, which is what the OP really wants to/needs to avoid. Thanks for the empathy.

Last edited:

Thanks again!
Erin

I did but only with massive medication and couldn't enjoy it. What I was trying to say is that other people don't always understand when someone has a disability the things we face and think that all lines move easily and we should be fine, because of course, THEY'RE fine. It wasn't the only line like that I faced, but it WAS the last, because I couldn't function after that. Not all solutions that seem so easy to abled people work for us. Make sure you think of YOUR situation and err on the side of caution, because it's not always black and white.

Trying to tour Disney based on how we think we should based on a.) abled people and b.) how we used to be can get us in big trouble. I know this intimately now.

Last edited:
Oh, and yes, in general, the Dessert Party WOULD be worth the money. With the waiting and standing around and the length of the show, I don't think I could have seen it any other way.

Um. Not while you're solo. It was MY example and was only the worst situation in which the line didn't "always move some" as people mentioned earlier. Thanks for the empathy. Glad your world is so black and white; a disabled person's isn't.
I was talking to op about their situation. Obviously what happened to you was horrible but I was letting op know they will have another option.

I think my reality is having to wrap my head around the fact that I can’t go through life the way I used to. And, accepting assistance when needed isn’t a bad thing. I’m thankful I’m doing as well as I am, truly. I’m glad there are options that will make this trip relatively pain free (hopefully) for me so I can enjoy it with my family.

I think my reality is having to wrap my head around the fact that I can’t go through life the way I used to. And, accepting assistance when needed isn’t a bad thing. I’m thankful I’m doing as well as I am, truly. I’m glad there are options that will make this trip relatively pain free (hopefully) for me so I can enjoy it with my family.

Yes, I understand completely. This is where I'm at right now, since I got home and am still in pain three days later. The emotional impact of it is very hard, and it's hard to wrap your head around. But unfortunately, we have changed. Be kind to yourself, and don't be embarrassed for asking for help.

I was talking to op about their situation. Obviously what happened to you was horrible but I was letting op know they will have another option.

Not for every line. I also ran into lines that didn't move quickly at Soarin' and other rides where the DAS made you go through the FP line even after waiting. Also, since this is a person like me who is just starting to deal with this, they may do what I did in this line: Say, well there are only a few people here and just wait, and then find themselves in a bad place that is not as easy to recover from. Once I'd waited for three of the five families in front of me to go through (at 5-10 minutes each, for what should have been 1 minute), I no longer HAD the choice to leave the line, even if I had someone to hold it for me.

Since I have actually had the experience this person is trying to avoid, I was relating it. I realized that I should have anticipated this and swallowed my pride and gotten help (in my case a scooter). It's not an easy realization to come to when you're newly dealing with this sort of thing, as is evidenced by the OP trying to talk herself out of the DAS.

Sometimes, it's better just to listen.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand completely. This is where I'm at right now, since I got home and am still in pain three days later. The emotional impact of it is very hard, and it's hard to wrap your head around. But unfortunately, we have changed. Be kind to yourself, and don't be embarrassed for asking for help.

Not for every line. I also ran into lines that didn't move quickly at Soarin' and other rides where the DAS made you go through the FP line even after wait. But I'm glad you have such easy answers.
I think Gottalovepluto was just trying to let the OP know that some lines might lend themselves to leaving and returning. Not that every line would. Honestly, it just seemed like she was trying to help.

Sorry you had such a rough time.

I think Gottalovepluto was just trying to let the OP know that some lines might lend themselves to leaving and returning. Not that every line would. Honestly, it just seemed like she was trying to help.

Sorry you had such a rough time.

And I'M trying to say that it may seem like that from the outside looking in, but it's not always as black and white as it appears when you don't have this problem. I'm also trying to help, but from the standpoint of someone who is actually in that person's shoes.

And I'M trying to say that it may seem like that from the outside looking in, but it's not always as black and white as it appears when you don't have this problem. I'm also trying to help, but from the standpoint of someone who is actually in that person's shoes.
That's not what she said though and you jumped on her. She said that some lines might have the ability, so just be aware.

Sorry it didn't work out well for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter