DAS and Autism with new FP+?

Karen1999

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm new to the boards, but have been reading on here over the past few days about problems with FP+. We will be at WDW the 2nd week of March with my 8 year old mildly Autistic twins, and I'm wondering if anyone on here has experience with DAS when the FP return line is long, as has been described by folks visiting over the MLK holiday weekend. I figure the Spring Break crowds will likely cause the same issue, and I'm sweating it a bit! (Wish we could go at a slower time, but we are military, and hubby gets leave when the Army says)

My guys can tolerate waiting in line with others ok on some days; other days, not so much. I'm wondering if we use the DAS, and get a return time for a ride, then have to wait 30 min in the FP return line, how is that even helpful? Isn't that making the overall wait longer for DAS users? Are CMs doing anything to help with this? We are planning on arriving at RD and using a touring plan to avoid some of the crowds. Should we just stick with that and forego the DAS altogether, and hope for the best? Guess I should add that we are staying offsite, as we are traveling with other family members and needed to keep the budget in check, so we are stuck with yet another line at the FP+ kiosks in the parks. :worried:

This post will help you a lot.
The 2 links to easywdw.com blogposts show very clearly how a good touring plan can help, even on a busy day in the park that is the 'not recommended' one.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3225425

Because of my daughter's needs and all the care she needs to get up and going, we could not do rope drop with her. We always had some days where other members of our party went to a park early to do things she could not do or things that would have a long wait.
We never followed a touring plan exactly, but using the principles and ideas of one, we never waited long for anything. She did have a GAC, but we used it very sparingly - sometimes we didn't use it at all on a day.
We saved it for times when we could not get a Fastpass or could not do the attraction without it.

We did the same thing with the DAS on our trip in October/November of this year. It was not that busy of a time (so not the same as Spring break by sny means). But some of our previous trips, using the GAC sparingly WERE over Spring break and we did fine. I font see a lot of difference in how the DAS works compared to how our family was using the GAC.

SO, I would follow the touring plan you are set to do and use the DAS to help fill in. even just knowing which park to avoid is helpful.

The DAS is helpful because the bulk of your wait you can do outside the line. As far as long FP lines... Anyone using a FP is in the same boat. Waiting 30 minutes in a FP line is a heck of a lot better then 60 minutes in standby.

If it's busy, moderate waits just won't be avoidable. I'd bring a few things to help aid you in line if they're a bit longer - a DS, iPod, etc.

When you get to the park you'll be able to schedule 3 FP+ options. If you use your FP+ and get return times using the DAS for in between FP times you should be able to get a fair amount done in a short time.

If fp wait is that long usually one of two things happened - it's a very busy day and the standby line is very very long. Or the ride stopped running for a period of time and backed things up. Either way you are still in a better position than you would be waiting in the standby line

There are a few FP queues that can get long. What I've done is scheduled FP+ or planned for obtaining a RT early in the morning when the FP waits aren't as long. It's just what we've always had to do. This is where planning using sites like easywdw.com have been especially helpful. The wait in the queue won't be any different now with FP+ or DAS than it would have been with the old GAC. The only difference is the steps we're taking to get to that queue.

Planning a trip for the upcoming year and so confused. My DS-5 is on autism spectrum. In the past trips we did not use the DASC, we simply made very good use of the legacy fastpass system and planned and planned. We have not been in a year and plan on bringing DD-1 for her first trip this next time.

I have a couple of questions- lets say we use DASC for Splash Mnt. I would have to sit out with DD while DH and DS rode with the DASC. Would they then give me a child swap with the DASC to go in after they finish riding or not?

Further, when we return for our time with the DASC will we be joining the FP line. This scares me as that line recently has been as long as standby and we have been virtually waiting for say an hour and then stand in FP line for another 35 minutes. This worries me. I don't know how DS will handle that.

Finally, I have read several threads still not sure- We get DASC from guest services and DS needs to be there. But then we go to CM for ride we would like to use card for. Does DS need to be there at each ride when we do this?

Thanks so much for all the information.

Your child will be photographed at guest services, so yes, he needs to be there.

When you go to get a time on the DAS, your son does not have to be with you. He does have to ride the attraction in order for the DAS to be used though. You can't get a DAS for an attraction he won't ride.

There's no way to judge how the FP+ queue will be when you return with your DAS time. One good thing about the DAS is that it doesn't expire, unlike the FP+.

Hi! I'm new to the boards, but have been reading on here over the past few days about problems with FP+. We will be at WDW the 2nd week of March with my 8 year old mildly Autistic twins, and I'm wondering if anyone on here has experience with DAS when the FP return line is long, as has been described by folks visiting over the MLK holiday weekend. I figure the Spring Break crowds will likely cause the same issue, and I'm sweating it a bit! (Wish we could go at a slower time, but we are military, and hubby gets leave when the Army says)

My guys can tolerate waiting in line with others ok on some days; other days, not so much. I'm wondering if we use the DAS, and get a return time for a ride, then have to wait 30 min in the FP return line, how is that even helpful? Isn't that making the overall wait longer for DAS users? Are CMs doing anything to help with this? We are planning on arriving at RD and using a touring plan to avoid some of the crowds. Should we just stick with that and forego the DAS altogether, and hope for the best? Guess I should add that we are staying offsite, as we are traveling with other family members and needed to keep the budget in check, so we are stuck with yet another line at the FP+ kiosks in the parks. :worried:

If I were you, I would absolutely get the DAS - you don't have to use it, if you feel it won't be helpful for your family, but you can have it ready, should you need it.

As for possibly waiting longer than non-DAS users, yes, it's entirely possible, because the purpose of the DAS is not to shorten wait times, but to provide the opportunity for a more comfortable place for the majority of the wait.

As for CMs doing anything to remedy the situation of longer waits, they shouldn't be, but as with everything at Disney, it depends on who you get.

If your child is not comfortable being photographed or if you are not comfortable with it, the CM can photograph you instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter