Darn you, Air Tran!

poohfriend77

DIS Veteran
Air Tran has changed our perfect flights without notifying us! :scared1: DH discovered it while checking on something else. One nonstop flight was moved by 5 hours, and our return nonstop flight was canceled all together and replaced by a much later flight with one layover. Aarrgh!

I know this stuff happens all the time, and it's not the end of the world, but it is annoying. I planned to do 1900PF dinner the evening we arrived (never mind that I can't actually make ADRs for 65 more days :rotfl:), but now we don't even land until 8 p.m. We'll be taking the kids straight to the resort to go to bed. On the plus side, our return flight is later, so we may be able to squeeze in one last character breakfast before heading to the airport. But I still hate connecting in Atlanta. And now I'm wondering how many more changes they'll make between now and November. :confused: Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. ;)

You can call them and ask to be changed to a flight with a better schedule, at no cost. Just check their website to make sure there is something better available so you know what flight to ask for. Being moved from a flight that is non-stop to one with a layover, is a big problem for me!

The joke's on me! After reading your post, I checked our flights on Delta for August. They'd changed from direct flights to routing us through Michigan (from Connecticut). :sad2:

I got on the phone and they were able to put us back on the new direct flights (our old flights had changed times by about 5 minutes, requiring new numbers and automatically bumping us to completely different flights). But a 15 minute phone call got it all worked out.

The joke's on me! After reading your post, I checked our flights on Delta for August. They'd changed from direct flights to routing us through Michigan (from Connecticut). :sad2:

I got on the phone and they were able to put us back on the new direct flights (our old flights had changed times by about 5 minutes, requiring new numbers and automatically bumping us to completely different flights). But a 15 minute phone call got it all worked out.

I'm glad you got your flights all figured out. There is no direct flight at any time on our return day right now. We're flying out of a very small airport (because it's easier, ha ha :rolleyes:). They only have one direct flight per day, and those are only on four days of the week. We even looked into flying out of a larger airport instead, but I think the hassle of that would outweigh the hassle of the layover. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the reinstate some form of our original flight.

Did you accept the changes yet? They never contacted me either and I know you don't have to accept the changes. Once you agree to the changes, you don't have too many options. Have you checked other airlines? Airtran changed my flight 3 times last year and I shopped around then cancelled the flights...I saved almost $100 too!

This happened to me on Continental too. Went to check my flights on line and was clicking away here and there and stopped just in time. There was a note in red, but not overly obvious (if you are clicking links you could just easily go right through it). It said something like "accept changes and go to flight info click here". I stopped, called Continental. Sure enough they had cancelled our original flight down. It is on DS's bday so I wanted to make sure to get there in plenty of time to enjoy the free bday perks, so I ended up taking a very early flight (not ideal with 3 little ones) but also negotiated a later flight out on my way back (when I bought my tickets only the early flight out of Orlando was the cheapest rate). I just said something like "since you had to move my flight on the way down would you be willing to move my flight on the way home to make it more convenient". No questions asked he did it right then. They have since moved the time of my flight down AGAIN. This time 1 hour later (which is actually better for me). Like PP said - if you see changes being made, call and try to get something for your troubles.

Happened to me twice, first time found me another flight. Second time, would refund my money...or take the impossible flight.

I am glad you posted. I for some reason can't access the web site for Airtran and called them. Our flight out which is no biggie was changed to 7:45am. But our return flight was changed to 11am. I don't know if that's going to be enough time for me to get off the Wonder and through security to make my flight. The other option was to take a 5:29 flight home. ARRR!!!:mad:

:scared1:It happened to me too!!! For my August trip they took me off a 10 am flight and changed it to a 6am flight!!!! I couldn't believe it! But Expedia was able to change it for me to a 11 am flight! Yay!

Happened to us to but on US Airways. I was just looking over our flight info and noticed our return flight was cancelled and they put us on a flight 5 hours earlier. Our departing flight was a huge mess. They changed to a smaller plane and we lost our seats. DH called to see what could be done because the flight is sold out (and apparently overbooked). The first lady made it sound like my kids could be separated from us, but the second lady said the kids must be with us, but they can't guarantee we'll be together in one group. They temporarily put us at the bulkhead, but we may lose some of those seats if anyone with a physical disability needs them. The morning of the flight should be fun!!! :scared:

It's just so stressful when you think you have a good plan and then someone else changes it without telling you!

Count us in too. Airtran cancelled all but 1 direct flight to MCO from our airport. It stinks with small children changing planes!

We are going on Jetblue, and I picked our dates because of their early and late flights. Two weeks ago they cancelled 2 of our flights. Now we are losing a total of 5 hours of Disney. I hope they change it back, it's not too late.

I feel your pain. Last Dec I was printing out our flight tickets the day before our trip, and found out that our flight was going to be taking off at 5.30am - that ment that we had to get on the road around 2.30am!!!!! We were OK with it - it just ment more time in Disney...... or so we thought...... Ended up we sat in the plain for a hour and a half while they found the slip to prove that the plane had gas in it!!! I guess they don't come with a fuel gauge??

This happened to us, too. We are flying Horizon (Alaska Air) to LAX. They got rid of our 6 am flight and moved us to an afternoon flight. Totally unacceptable; since, they had not contacted us. I read about it in the newspaper. They said that since our flight wasn't until Sept., they thought that they had plenty of time to contact us later. They didn't seem to understand that I needed to be at LAX by a specific time on that day. I had them move the flight back a day and called DLH to see if I could add on another night. I wish there was a "Passenger Bill of Rights," but I don't see it happening any time soon. Airlines have too much lobbying power!

We had Delta do the same sort of thing to us for our trip this past January. It totally worked out in our favor though! I originally booked a morning flight out on our last day as that was the only one available for the super-duper-low-price fare. Lo and behold, they changed my flights all around, but when I called with issues on the departure they were also able to change our return flight to a 6:30PM departure. :woohoo: Woo-hoo! :woohoo:

So at this point, I kinda keep my fingers crossed that they change my flight times. BTW, there seemed to be something magical about a change >1 hour...like at that point they HAD to address it or something. :confused3

OP here-- I just looked at airtran's Web site, and the nonstop return flight is back on their schedule, although we're not on it at this time. I just don't get it! Now we have to decide whether or not to complain and try to switch. the nonstop flight leaves at 9 a.m., which means a very early start to our day, but we'd be home by noon to relax. If we stick with the 3 p.m. connecting flight, we'd have a more relaxing morning (probably no park, but maybe a character breakfast), but we wouldn't get home until around 8 p.m., just in time to put the kids to bed because they have school the next day. I'm worried they'd be too tired after all that.

I hate stressing about things I thought were already perfectly planned! I guess I should be thankful we still have options and try to figure things out again closer to our trip date.

Sorry to hear so many of you are having the same problems! Thanks for commiserating. ;)

Air Tran did the same thing to us. When we booked, the flight was at 10:55a.m. I discovered the flight change looking at their website. After several changes, it was finally to take off at 4:57p.m. We arrived to the airport to check in only to discover the plane was delayed. When they began boarding our flight, they were telling us to hurry as the flight attendants can only work so many hours and then the flight would be cancelled:scared:. The pilots reassured us that it was only their second flight of the day and that they were well rested. We ended up taking off at 6:40 and landing at 10:03. We had to claim our luggage since anything after 10:00 ME won't deliver. Actually, this last part was a blessing. With small children, I wasn't looking forward to luggage being delivered at midnight.

Air Tran has changed our perfect flights without notifying us! :scared1: DH discovered it while checking on something else. One nonstop flight was moved by 5 hours, and our return nonstop flight was canceled all together and replaced by a much later flight with one layover. Aarrgh!

I know this stuff happens all the time, and it's not the end of the world, but it is annoying. I planned to do 1900PF dinner the evening we arrived (never mind that I can't actually make ADRs for 65 more days :rotfl:), but now we don't even land until 8 p.m. We'll be taking the kids straight to the resort to go to bed. On the plus side, our return flight is later, so we may be able to squeeze in one last character breakfast before heading to the airport. But I still hate connecting in Atlanta. And now I'm wondering how many more changes they'll make between now and November. :confused: Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. ;)

Why WE avoid Airtran and their Great Deals like the PLAGUE.
Taking time from a DISNEY trip is just NOT right!! :lmao:
Seriously, this happens all the time, so I hear, annoying indeed!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter