Dare I ask....... DAS in DL

nikkislaght

DIS Veteran
Hey there..

I will be traveling to Disneyland in April.. and I will need the DAS, I am just wondering if someone has been there recently and used the DAS, and how it went.. was it as bad as some of the feed back people are giving?

Thanks for your time...

Hey there..

I will be traveling to Disneyland in April.. and I will need the DAS, I am just wondering if someone has been there recently and used the DAS, and how it went.. was it as bad as some of the feed back people are giving?

Thanks for your time...

Just checking, do you just need a wheelchair, or a DAS? We did a wheelchair recently, so I can give you feedback on that. Otherwise, I think the best place to ask is over on the DisAbilities boards.

Just checking, do you just need a wheelchair, or a DAS? We did a wheelchair recently, so I can give you feedback on that. Otherwise, I think the best place to ask is over on the DisAbilities boards.

I have a walker, which I think they will say is the same as a wheelchair???

I would love to hear your experience for a wheelchair.

I have not listened to it yet, but I believe one of the October Dis podcasts focused on the new DAS program and actual experience with it. You might want to look that one up and have a listen.

I touched on this a bit in my trip report, but here is the longer version. I hadn't read anything about this system before our trip so I didn't know there was anything negative about it, but after dealing with it, we definitely had a negative experience with the first cast member we dealt with.

We were there with myself, my mother and father in law, my wife, her brother and his wife.My mother in law was in a wheelchair and the first half of our day we spent EE at DL and then went over to California adventure where she met us. We were able to use the queues there fine.

However, halfway through the day a problem emerged. My sister in law has a painful foot condition that makes standing for long periods of time unbearable. She is mostly okay if she is walking or in motion, but standing for her was brutal. She had to sit and take a break after a 20 minute wait for Soarin. Then I remembered that there is the new disability pass so we talked to the people at the guest services station by cars land and they directed us to guest services.

At California Adventures guest services I was really surprised by how the CM treated us. I am sure they get a ton of people faking illnesses for these passes, but they shouldn't be rude or condescending to guests as they never know if something is real or not. So first he asked us to explain what our limitations are. She stated what her condition was (it had a latin name, I cannot remember) and that it hurts to stand for long periods of time. He asked what our plan was in helping to alleviate things. She said that so far she is taking breaks, doing foot stretches, etc. He kind of looked at us funny and said, and what about a wheelchair?

My sister in law is on disability for a multitude of health issues, and her husband is a handyman, so she explained that they were on a very tight budget (and they were, we ended up giving them one of our gift cards). He then asked, what if he were to give her one complimentary for our trip. She said, well I don't think I would feel comfortable with that at her size. He starts going on about well you'll find after a while that no one is paying attention to you and it's okay. She laughs and goes no- I don't think my family will want to push me! I started busting out laughing and agreed- it was hot and we were all taking turns with my mother in law as it was. She asked if a scooter was possible and he said he couldn't issue those complimentary.

So then she asks what her options are and he just kind of stares at us, like he STILL didn't even want to mention the pass. He actually mentioned having our group wait in line and her joining us as we got closer to the front!! Then he goes back to the taking breaks as an option and she just got a bit fed up and said okay and started to walk away. So at that point I stepped in and asked about the pass for disabilities. He said that could be an option, how many are in our party? I told him 6 and he said he needed to see them. I was confused about this but luckily everyone was right outside by Oswald's so we go grab them, wheel my MIL in and he says okay, they just have to visually confirm our party size.

So he processes the pass, takes her photo, prints it, explains how it works and then we left.

As far as using the pass, we didn't have any issues. She still took a lot of breaks, and it was great that Disney allows someone else in the party to run ahead and get a time written in, which saved her walking distances. The cast member would write down the come back time, which was the current wait time for the ride plus 10 minutes. We often found a bench to park at until it was time to go on the ride which helped her immensely.

Still, some rides had a bit of a wait longer than what was written on the card- Jungle Cruise was one of them. But there were some that we got right on and received dirty looks from those waiting in line (definitely happened on RSR)

Honestly, I don't know how she would have been able to enjoy the trip were it not for this pass and I'm glad she got it even though she was ready to give up.

Not sure if this is the feedback you were looking for, but that was our experience with it.

I touched on this a bit in my trip report, but here is the longer version. I hadn't read anything about this system before our trip so I didn't know there was anything negative about it, but after dealing with it, we definitely had a negative experience with the first cast member we dealt with.

We were there with myself, my mother and father in law, my wife, her brother and his wife.My mother in law was in a wheelchair and the first half of our day we spent EE at DL and then went over to California adventure where she met us. We were able to use the queues there fine.

However, halfway through the day a problem emerged. My sister in law has a painful foot condition that makes standing for long periods of time unbearable. She is mostly okay if she is walking or in motion, but standing for her was brutal. She had to sit and take a break after a 20 minute wait for Soarin. Then I remembered that there is the new disability pass so we talked to the people at the guest services station by cars land and they directed us to guest services.

At California Adventures guest services I was really surprised by how the CM treated us. I am sure they get a ton of people faking illnesses for these passes, but they shouldn't be rude or condescending to guests as they never know if something is real or not. So first he asked us to explain what our limitations are. She stated what her condition was (it had a latin name, I cannot remember) and that it hurts to stand for long periods of time. He asked what our plan was in helping to alleviate things. She said that so far she is taking breaks, doing foot stretches, etc. He kind of looked at us funny and said, and what about a wheelchair?

My sister in law is on disability for a multitude of health issues, and her husband is a handyman, so she explained that they were on a very tight budget (and they were, we ended up giving them one of our gift cards). He then asked, what if he were to give her one complimentary for our trip. She said, well I don't think I would feel comfortable with that at her size. He starts going on about well you'll find after a while that no one is paying attention to you and it's okay. She laughs and goes no- I don't think my family will want to push me! I started busting out laughing and agreed- it was hot and we were all taking turns with my mother in law as it was. She asked if a scooter was possible and he said he couldn't issue those complimentary.

So then she asks what her options are and he just kind of stares at us, like he STILL didn't even want to mention the pass. He actually mentioned having our group wait in line and her joining us as we got closer to the front!! Then he goes back to the taking breaks as an option and she just got a bit fed up and said okay and started to walk away. So at that point I stepped in and asked about the pass for disabilities. He said that could be an option, how many are in our party? I told him 6 and he said he needed to see them. I was confused about this but luckily everyone was right outside by Oswald's so we go grab them, wheel my MIL in and he says okay, they just have to visually confirm our party size.

So he processes the pass, takes her photo, prints it, explains how it works and then we left.

As far as using the pass, we didn't have any issues. She still took a lot of breaks, and it was great that Disney allows someone else in the party to run ahead and get a time written in, which saved her walking distances. The cast member would write down the come back time, which was the current wait time for the ride plus 10 minutes. We often found a bench to park at until it was time to go on the ride which helped her immensely.

Still, some rides had a bit of a wait longer than what was written on the card- Jungle Cruise was one of them. But there were some that we got right on and received dirty looks from those waiting in line (definitely happened on RSR)

Honestly, I don't know how she would have been able to enjoy the trip were it not for this pass and I'm glad she got it even though she was ready to give up.

Not sure if this is the feedback you were looking for, but that was our experience with it.

Dragonflycurls : Thanks so much for your feed back. I have heard that some people had trouble with being in a WC and then being told they need the DAS, and then going to get one and then being told they don't need one.. etc.
Glad the trip went well , and glad you got the pass.. Im hoping that by April I will have it sorted out in my head how to use the pass..
Thanks again..
Nikki

I have not listened to it yet, but I believe one of the October Dis podcasts focused on the new DAS program and actual experience with it. You might want to look that one up and have a listen.

Thanks, heard the podcast, but wanted up to date info. and I went onto the Disability board but couldn't really find up to date info , it was all feedback from the start of last month..
Thanks again

Dragonflycurls : Thanks so much for your feed back. I have heard that some people had trouble with being in a WC and then being told they need the DAS, and then going to get one and then being told they don't need one.. etc.
Glad the trip went well , and glad you got the pass.. Im hoping that by April I will have it sorted out in my head how to use the pass..
Thanks again..
Nikki

That's confusing! FWiW at California Adventures all the lines are wheelchair accesible so you definitely wouldn't need one for there

That's confusing! FWiW at California Adventures all the lines are wheelchair accesible so you definitely wouldn't need one for there

Confusing yes.. and in CA yes wheelchair accessible, cept for the rides with stairs..
I was reading that people with WC will get a return pass, due to restrictions on the amount of people that can be on a ride at a time, with WC..
anyway I will gather more info as the year goes on...

I'll give you a feel for our experience. We were there Dec. 14-17. We arrived as 2 healthy adults with 2 kiddos (1 of whom I thought we might need a DAS card for since he has ADHD and couldn't tollerate the lines). Checked into our hotel, unloaded the car, and enjoyed the evening. Woke up the next morning and hubby could barely walk, he'd carried a REALLY heavy suitcase up the stairs and hurt his back. We tried walking to the park, but got about 1/2 way and I went back to our hotel to inquire about the scooter rentals out front. It was $25 to rent a wheelchair for the day, so I did it. ($12 in the park, but you can't take it back to your hotel).

Wheelchair in tow and 5 year old on Daddy's lap we headed out to California Adventure. For the most part, we were treated as regular guests. Most rides (at least everything we rode) the lines are long enough to use a wheelchair. So we did that. Had FP for RSR and where taken straight to the wheelchair entrance, no problems. TSMM has a special spot that you can load slower and don't have to do stairs. They'll ask you if you need that. WOC we were allowed to enter the area first to get our spot before they let the rest of the crowd in. Overall, not a lot of special treatment.

The next day we had the chair again and hit Disneyland. Much different. Everyone was VERY pleasant, but many of the lines aren't equipped for a wheelchair, so for those (Small World, Fantasyland rides, Jungle Cruise, POTC) we went to the exit and were handed a slip of paper with a return time. No mention of a DAS and we were able to gather a few of those (like FP's). For other rides like the Canal Boats, we entered the hadicapped enternce and he had us wait a few boats before loading to keep the wait times fair. Overall (especially with my son, it actually went really well for us).

We never encountered any mention of a DAS, and did see people with them. I did have a cast member tell me they don't care about the end time for the return (coming later) but we didn't attempt it.

Hope that helps!

I'll give you a feel for our experience. We were there Dec. 14-17. We arrived as 2 healthy adults with 2 kiddos (1 of whom I thought we might need a DAS card for since he has ADHD and couldn't tollerate the lines). Checked into our hotel, unloaded the car, and enjoyed the evening. Woke up the next morning and hubby could barely walk, he'd carried a REALLY heavy suitcase up the stairs and hurt his back. We tried walking to the park, but got about 1/2 way and I went back to our hotel to inquire about the scooter rentals out front. It was $25 to rent a wheelchair for the day, so I did it. ($12 in the park, but you can't take it back to your hotel).

Wheelchair in tow and 5 year old on Daddy's lap we headed out to California Adventure. For the most part, we were treated as regular guests. Most rides (at least everything we rode) the lines are long enough to use a wheelchair. So we did that. Had FP for RSR and where taken straight to the wheelchair entrance, no problems. TSMM has a special spot that you can load slower and don't have to do stairs. They'll ask you if you need that. WOC we were allowed to enter the area first to get our spot before they let the rest of the crowd in. Overall, not a lot of special treatment.

The next day we had the chair again and hit Disneyland. Much different. Everyone was VERY pleasant, but many of the lines aren't equipped for a wheelchair, so for those (Small World, Fantasyland rides, Jungle Cruise, POTC) we went to the exit and were handed a slip of paper with a return time. No mention of a DAS and we were able to gather a few of those (like FP's). For other rides like the Canal Boats, we entered the hadicapped enternce and he had us wait a few boats before loading to keep the wait times fair. Overall (especially with my son, it actually went really well for us).

We never encountered any mention of a DAS, and did see people with them. I did have a cast member tell me they don't care about the end time for the return (coming later) but we didn't attempt it.

Hope that helps!

Thank You for that very positive feedback.. I hope your husband back is better.. what a way to start your trip..
I have been to DL a number of times.. but in the past used a cane.. my condition as deteriorated to the point where I am now using a walker, (love that little basket.lol_) and was not sure if I would use a DAS or WC..
Thanks again..
Nikki

The way I understand it, the DAS is intended for invisible disabilities. If your disability is visible (i.e. you're in a wheelchair, use a walker/cane, etc.), then you go to the attraction and they'll tell you where you need to go. If there is a line, you'll likely be given a return time.

I'm going in February and will be able to confirm then.

Thank You for that very positive feedback.. I hope your husband back is better.. what a way to start your trip..
I have been to DL a number of times.. but in the past used a cane.. my condition as deteriorated to the point where I am now using a walker, (love that little basket.lol_) and was not sure if I would use a DAS or WC..
Thanks again..
Nikki

Thanks. He is fine. Was actually much better and walking by our last morning and manged to drive us home to the Bay Area. I will say I did like not having to carry all our stuff! :-)

We've never seen the need to use any assistance card. I have a son with autism (kind of between moderate and high functioning, plus he has other disabilities. Overall, his disabilities are classified as "severe"), and have gone with my mother who uses an ECV and before my father passed we went with him when he was terminally ill. He looked healthy, though. And I have an autoimmune disorder. We're quite the group, I guess. Anyway, we just make accommodations within our family, and don't ask anything special from Disney. They make access for my mom in her ECV easy, and we make sure we use FP when available, plan in downtime, and don't spend more than 20 mins in line because that's all ds can do with us distracting him. And apologize to other people a lot when he starts doing odd things. We're the people with a much older child riding in a stroller.

My dad wouldn't ride in an ECV until the very end of his life. We just rested when he needed to, and left early a lot. His diabetes made it tough, too, but we were able to get by without too much trouble. I'm just not sure what a DAS card will do for most disabled people. It seems like more hassle than its worth. For mobility issues, DL and WDW make it pretty easy.

The way I understand it, the DAS is intended for invisible disabilities. If your disability is visible (i.e. you're in a wheelchair, use a walker/cane, etc.), then you go to the attraction and they'll tell you where you need to go. If there is a line, you'll likely be given a return time.

I'm going in February and will be able to confirm then.

In the past I have used a cane and needed the GAC.. I guess the times I have been, the cane was not enough to allow me to use the alternative entrances, or get return times.. etc..
but thanks for your feedback

Confusing yes.. and in CA yes wheelchair accessible, cept for the rides with stairs..

A couple of rides have WC accessible lines up to the stairs but branch off to another section. An example of this is California Screamin' where WCs split off just before the stairs and either wait on the side or take the elevators to the middle section for boarding. We almost always have to wait longer than the regular queue on this ride, but it is worth it.

I just returned from DLR and this was the 3rd time I have used the DAS. For me (I have a bad back and while I have no problems walking, its the constant start and stop of lines that really bothers me) this system works for me. I love the fact that I can go do something else while waiting for my ride time. We strategically planned long waits (i.e. Radiator Racers, space mountain, etc) and went to eat our meals. If used properly, it was a great benefit. It came in very handy on this trip because the parks were sooooo crowded. I was able to take my time to get to each attraction.

I was talking to a CM at one of the kiosks and asked what he's heard in feedback. He told me that those who truly need it, really like it and those who are trying to manipulate the system are finding it frustrating to do so. I'm sure there are more tweaks coming but for now, I appreciate and welcome the change.

Oh...a little tip. If you do have a DAS card and plan to come back to DLR later in the year, KEEP your card and bring it to the desk at City Hall or Chamber of Commerce the next time you come to the park. It saves time because the CM will not have to ask why you need one. Both times I did this, the CM said "Ok, that makes it easy" and I had a new DAS and was on my way.

Has anyone had experiance with the DAS when you only need to avoid stairs?

I can stand in line, not great, but I can do it, it's just stairs that I have the issue with.

Would I still need to get a return time for those rides that have stairs?

It's not a problem to do so, just wondering how they are handling that.

Has anyone had experiance with the DAS when you only need to avoid stairs?

I can stand in line, not great, but I can do it, it's just stairs that I have the issue with.

Would I still need to get a return time for those rides that have stairs?

It's not a problem to do so, just wondering how they are handling that.

This is another reason I got a DAS card....to avoid stairs. It was beneficial for Radiator Racers and Toy Story Mania. Yes, you would still get a return time, but YOU have to make sure to tell the CM that you prefer not to do stairs. Although, most will ask, dont assume that if they know if they dont ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter