Danube River Cruise Meets Thread

I wonder how the welcome reception is going to work on these River cruises or if they are even going to bother with something like that on these cruises. I can't imagine that they'd have everyone sitting around while 160 people introduce themselves. That would take forever. I'm a little sad to be losing that though, and the sense of family you get by traveling with the same group of folks for several days, but I'm hopeful ABD have already thought about this, and will work to foster it even though the groups could be fairly disconnected.

That said, is anyone on the July 21st trip interested in setting up some sort of meet and greet on the ship? Or if you're all doing the pre-day in Budapest, maybe at the Marriott the evening before the cruise? I'd like to know who my fellow DISers are!

Sayhello
Hi We will be coming into Budapest the day before around lunchtime..might be a little jet lagged. We would enjoy connecting for dinner or afterwards. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

We were thinking of going here once we are arrive in Budapest to help with the jet lag! It's a 500 year old thermal bath! Apparently it's just across the Danube from the Marriott.

http://en.rudasfurdo.hu

:cloud9:

We are on the August 4th sailing. Me, my husband, and two teens 19 and 17.

We could meet up at the Marriott the night before sailing if anyone is interested.

Hi We will be coming into Budapest the day before around lunchtime..might be a little jet lagged. We would enjoy connecting for dinner or afterwards. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Looking forward to meeting you, pandw! I guess when it's a little closer, we can figure out how to arrange this. :)

Sayhello

I wonder how the welcome reception is going to work on these River cruises or if they are even going to bother with something like that on these cruises. I can't imagine that they'd have everyone sitting around while 160 people introduce themselves. That would take forever. I'm a little sad to be losing that though, and the sense of family you get by traveling with the same group of folks for several days, but I'm hopeful ABD have already thought about this, and will work to foster it even though the groups could be fairly disconnected.

That said, is anyone on the July 21st trip interested in setting up some sort of meet and greet on the ship? Or if you're all doing the pre-day in Budapest, maybe at the Marriott the evening before the cruise? I'd like to know who my fellow DISers are!

Sayhello
We will need a recommendation for dinner. Someplace near that Marriott that takes credit cards as we weren't planning to exchange currency for Budapest. I hope we don't need to.

We will need a recommendation for dinner. Someplace near that Marriott that takes credit cards as we weren't planning to exchange currency for Budapest. I hope we don't need to.
I'm sure the concierge at the Marriott can give us a recommendation. I wasn't planning on getting Hungarian currency, either, just some euros (which I already have, left over from another trip) and some Czech koruna (since I have an extra post-day in Prague). I'll check out TripAdvisor for a restaurant; there might be something there.

Sayhello

OK, so I was looking at AMAWaterways' website and they say:
Electricity on board all ships is 220v, with 2-pin power outlets. You will need an adapter, and/or converter depending on which electrical appliances you bring with you.
So it looks like I need to take my European adapters with me. Most ocean cruises I've been on, they've had 110 plugs available... Although I guess I'd need them for Prague anyways. :)

Sayhello

What is the dress code on the river boat?

Wondering if we can get everything in carry-ons.

I was wondering the same thing. I think I'll contact ABD...

Sayhello

Thank you!

My 17 year old daughter was putting together blouses/skirts and tank top/shorts outfits, similar things she would wear on Disney ocean cruises. I wondered if she needs a little more dressy for dinner and also sweaters for the top deck in the evenings??

I'm sure the concierge at the Marriott can give us a recommendation. I wasn't planning on getting Hungarian currency, either, just some euros (which I already have, left over from another trip) and some Czech koruna (since I have an extra post-day in Prague). I'll check out TripAdvisor for a restaurant; there might be something there.

Sayhello

When we stayed at the Marriot we had dinner on the first night at the restaurant in the hotel, since we were tired, and the food was quite good. Next day we had lunch at the restaurant next door to the hotel, Dunacorso. We could see the terrace with it's brightly colored umbrellas from our room and it looked so inviting that is the main reason we decided to have lunch there - and because it was so convenient. I wasn't very hungry, so I just had goulash soup and to the best of my memory it was pretty good. I don't recall what my son had. I don't think either of us was blown away by the food (although we didn't really try enough to judge) but the location is great with a view of the river.And both restaurants take credit card.

When we stayed at the Marriot we had dinner on the first night at the restaurant in the hotel, since we were tired, and the food was quite good. Next day we had lunch at the restaurant next door to the hotel, Dunacorso. We could see the terrace with it's brightly colored umbrellas from our room and it looked so inviting that is the main reason we decided to have lunch there - and because it was so convenient. I wasn't very hungry, so I just had goulash soup and to the best of my memory it was pretty good. I don't recall what my son had. I don't think either of us was blown away by the food (although we didn't really try enough to judge) but the location is great with a view of the river.And both restaurants take credit card.
Thanks!! That's great info!

Sayhello

YAY!! I just got my box for the July 21st cruise! :D It contained the drawstring laundry bag, the document/tablet holder, the canvas backpack, the luggage strap and the handbook. There's also a destination guide from AMAWaterways about the sites along the Danube. (Did anyone get actual luggage tags as listed, or are they talking about the paper ones inside the booklet?)

The document holder is really, really nice, but it's honestly too big/heavy to be useful while traveling. I may find it useful in just normal life, though.

The document answers the dress code question. It says:

"The dress code on board the ship is "casual and comfortable" by day and "smart casual" for dinner. We kindly ask guests not to wear bathing suits in the restaurants or lounge at any time. Please be advised that shorts are not suitable for dinner. You may wish to wear something a bit dressier for the Captain's Dinner (jackets and ties not required). We recommend wearing comfortable shoes for shore excursions. Walking barefoot in the public areas of the ship is prohibited."

The packing list suggests:

DAYTIME ATTIRE
  • T-shirts
  • Shorts
  • Jeans, long pants, capris, khakis
  • Lightweight rain jacket
  • Hat/visor/sun hat
  • Swimsuit/swim shirt/rash guard
  • Sweater/jacket
Swimsuits are not allowed in the ship restaurants or lounge at any time.

DINNER ATTIRE*

• Smart or resort casual
  • Collared shirts, polo shirts
  • Long pants
  • Dress, skirt or sundress
*Unlike ocean cruises, there are no formal nights.

FOOTWEAR
  • Closed-toe shoes
Walking barefoot in the public areas of the ship is prohibited.

I'm still going to call ABD and see if they have any additions to this.

Sayhello

Last edited:
YAY!! I just got my box for the July 21st cruise! :D It contained the drawstring laundry bag, the document/tablet holder, the canvas backpack, the luggage strap and the handbook. There's also a destination guide from AMAWaterways about the sites along the Danube. (Did anyone get actual luggage tags as listed, or are they talking about the paper ones inside the booklet?)

Congrats on getting your box! Yes, we received two blue leather luggage tags in addition to the paper ones and orange luggage straps.

I have also clarified with ABD that "nice, non-holey" jeans are acceptable at dinner. :)

Congrats on getting your box! Yes, we received two blue leather luggage tags in addition to the paper ones and orange luggage straps.

I have also clarified with ABD that "nice, non-holey" jeans are acceptable at dinner. :)
:( No leather luggage tag for me. I think I'll call ABD...

Sayhello

ETA: Yay! The Vacationista is sending me out a leather luggage tag! :thumbsup2

Last edited:
We were just got our box yesterday too! We will be staying at the Marriott the night before too! Can't believe it is almost here! I thought I saw the amount of children on the cruise. Hopefully my daughter will have someone near her age. We'll have 3 generations on this trip.

Following up on the dress code question above - do you think that nice shorts and a collared shirt would be appropriate for boys 10 and 12, for dinner?

Following up on the dress code question above - do you think that nice shorts and a collared shirt would be appropriate for boys 10 and 12, for dinner?
It's certainly up to you, but the dress code in the booklet that I quoted above specifically says "Please be advised that shorts are not suitable for dinner."

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter