Dang it!!!Paint!

MomNeedsVacay

<font color=red>was my mom just weird?
Okay so I wrote on here a little while back about how I am painting my daughter's room pink , but cannot paint over where her name had been drawn in cursive with black craft paint. I have just found out that my DH had decided to "touch up" her name (when I first wrote the name on the wall) with a black marker- THATS why its bleeding through and uncoverable. I took the advice from PP's who said to use KILZ. I have used KILZ and more KILZ on TOP of the KILZ and Zinzer on top of that plus many layers and layers of paint on top of that....THEN my Mom had the idea of sanding, spakling on top of, sanding again , THEN paint on top of that.....It is covered more than it was, but you can still see the name through the paint. I'm at my wits end!!!! Any words of wisdom other than move to a new house???:confused3

Wow, sounds like you have lots of layers on there right now... so sorry the KILZ didn't work for you...

I asked my DH and he has an answer, but it is alot of work.

He said to go to the marine store, like Boat US or West Marine, and get Interlux Top Side Paint in white, or Pettit Top Side Paint in white. These are oil based paints (stinky) but he said they will work. Then after you are sure it's covered, reprime to convert back to latex paint, then you should be good to go.

His other helpful options were to sand down to the bare wall, spakle, prime, paint...or replace the wall...

Anyway, he swears that the marine paint will cover anything...but he recommends that you "put on a blindfold at the register and hand them your credit card"...I'm thinking that means it's $$$.

Good luck!

I was going to suggest maybe to replace that wall w/ new drywall... it'll be a pain in the butt....but at least you wouldn't have to worry about that darn ink coming through yet again.
We are re-drywalling most of the rooms in our house just because they fools who had our home before us....didn't do the job correctly so it's costing us more in the end...but at least it will be done to our satisfaction! ;)
Good luck with whatever you decide!

I just thought of something else that I did in the past...

I rented a wall steamer, the kind to remove old wall paper, it also bubbles off paint, spackle, anything that was on those walls came off. That might get you to the base of the problem faster than sanding would...

Just another thought...

at this point I would sand off everything you have put on so far. sorry the kilz didn't work, upon further reading some markers absorb the pigment of the paint which is why you are seeing it still. My other suggestion, but may be to late, is try a magic eraser. It may make the marker faded enough to paint over. That is what I did with red candle wax. I blew the candle out and it splattered on the wall so I used to magic eraser. It turned the spots pink but when I painted it covered it.

I think I am going to invest in a cute piece of art for that wall of my DD's room and cover it up! Hopefully, when we go to sell the house, they will have a child with her name ..(although its a VERY unique name....ha!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter