DANG! Dad's a cheapscate! QUICK SERVICE ONLY? (Arguments FOR QSDP)

SelfEmployedDebtFree

DIS Veteran
Just in case anyone is interested, here are a few good reasons to not be upset over the CS only dining. (I believe it may now be called QSDP)

CS only = no waiting for a table.
CS only = no planning necessary! :banana:
CS only = the freedom to PARK HOP if you arrive at a park that is packed with bodies!!! This is particularly handy when you arrive at the park just to find it's "insert your mega-group / sporting / convention" day. A good example is the brazillian tour groups that pour thousands into the parks. If you do not have any ADRs, and you have park hopping option (APs for us) you can hop to a less crowded park!
CS only = More flexibility! Stop and see a street performer, the candy lady, the mimes (they are gone forever, right?:sad1:) or the trash can group. No need to RUN to your ADRs.
CS only = (my personal favorite reason) no more "DANG! I gotta eat AGAIN!!! I'm still full from those RIBS!!!"
CS only = a chance to try more of the "on the go" foods. Grab a turkey leg or a quick sandwich somewhere.
CS only = less chance of gluttony!!! On previous trips i actually resorted to pouring salt on my food to stop myself. If its on the plate I want to eat it! At home its an easy remedy, just dont put much on the plate to begin with. At Disney you get HUGE portions. Gluttony actually ruined one of my trips. I spent half my trip in the bathroom. I was miserable.
CS only = LESS WEIGHT GAIN!!! (or none at all)
CS only = more time in the parks and on attractions. (Yeah, we've done them all countless times, but still.......)
CS only = more people watching! I love to find a nice shady spot on a breezy day and watch people. In a TS you only see people chewing.:rotfl2: You get to see DRAMA outside!:laughing::happytv:
CS only = free refillable mugs!!! ( I could have worded it differently, but that would have been a troll comment.)
CS only = no additional meal costs. (PM me, dont comment)

Now, the whole point of this post was to give people something to consider, so that they aren't "kicking dad" all week every time they pass a fancy restaurant. Yeah, the TS dining is fun. YES, there are some AWESOME TS restaurants that are MUST DOs but try to see the advantages of the CS only dining. I prefer smaller portions and the flexibility over the finer aspects of TS.

"The food is better on TS". I have seen this stated before, but I disagree. Some of my favorite meals in WDW are QS meals. Flametree BBQ, That SINFULLY GOOD cobb salad sandwich at Hollywood Studios, the Ham and Cheese Croissants in the France pavilion, The platters in Morocco, etc.

There is a REALLY good argument that the QSDP is actually better than the TSDP in many aspects. You also have that value resorts price difference as well. And as my doctor once said "I stayed at Pop Century on my last trip. I CRINGE TO THINK OF ALL THE MONEY I HAVE WASTED STAYING AT DELUXE PROPERTIES!!!". :happytv:

So enjoy your QSDP and enjoy it without feeling like the cheapskate that you probably are. Because there is a little cheapskate in all of us, and it can be a good thing!

hi there!

I have a sign up as you enter my house and it reads "Cheap is good".

You forgot a couple of salient points.

It is much easier to share different CS meals with each other and you do not have to get an entire meal for each member of your party so you get to eat even more often and taste a wider variety of things.

AND, the big one for me is that I am not having to leave a tip that equals more than I would pay for a meal back home.

Folks on the coasts may not understand that one but us in the midwest do.

That being said, if we should find ourselves hungry enough and wanting to sit down somewhere we are saving enough to afford a few TS meals if we so desire.

There is a difference between being cheap and silly. :lmao:

Enjoy and are you going to be there when we are this time too?

Slightly Goofy

Ah...this is timely! Thanks for posting this. Sounds like I don't have to worry about decent variety for adults, but what about kids? I've read that kids really get the shaft with the QS plan because they're forced to eat off of the VERY limited kid's menu. Anyone have some insight into this?

Great good points about the QSDP!!!

With the money you save, you can throw in a select TS meal.

I totally agree about the TS tip. The cost of a TS meal is way more than I would spend at a restaurant at home, so the tip will be correspondingly high! Something to consider, for sure.

I hadn't considered that kids order from a different CS menu with the QSDP. Maybe parents and kids each order meals, but share, eating family style.

glad ya'll like the QSDP - there are some excellent QSDP places there (we've eaten a week's worth of QS lunches and not a single burger or hotdog in the bunch - love the non-traditional-fast-food places at WDW.)

...so glad Disney offers lots of choices on restaurants & meal plans so we can all pick the one that fits our style/needs/tastes/touring style and so on.

:thumbsup2Have a great trip:thumbsup2

Slightly Goofy, I mentioned that point as well, but didn't say the word. Every time I even MUTTER the word a mod shuts my thread down. Apparently its a very touchy subject here, so I try to avoid it. But I will say (since its been mentioned already) that you are CORRECT! On a trip (last year I think? Maybe the year before?) the rules had changed. It was no longer included in the DDP as it had been in earlier years. So on our first night we paid by DDP, and literally SNUCK OUT after the meal. We didn't know about the changes till after the meal was over. I hadn't brought any cash or credit cards, and my room key didn't have charging ability. It can add up into HUNDREDS of dollars over a weeks time. I do NOT use my credit card in restaurants PERIOD!!! I don't like my credit card to leave my sight. I pay cash, or I don't eat. Same applies for the other. Cash on table, or not at all. So for the remainder of the week we did the best we could. It literally took every penny of my emergency and souvenir cash that week.

I've read that kids really get the shaft with the QS plan because they're forced to eat off of the VERY limited kid's menu. Anyone have some insight into this?
I've read that here for years. I don't agree with that at all.
No, they can't wine and dine on an elegant meal same as the parents, but they are CHILDREN. They don't always like the same thing the parents eat. I have found that for my children, 99% of the time they were perfectly happy with their choices off the childrens' menu. Most of the time they left stuffed. They rarely ever made a single complaint about their food, and they loved what they got.
At my home, we eat exotic foods. My children get tired of foods from India, Morocco, France, Israel, etc. They want fish sticks and french fries. "Awwww MOM, NOT ethnic foods AGAIN!!!" LOL I hear that so much. I like unusual foods, and my wife does as well.
As for portions:
I once made a fool out of myself. I complained about the child's portion at one of the CS meals. it just looked so small. They got an attitude about it, and I got one back. So they brought me an extra side of fish and fries. It then looked right. Well, half way through the meal my son said "I'm full". I couldn't eat mine and his, and as I threw the plate half full of food in the trash the CM just stared at me. I felt like a real jerk. Lesson learned. At Disney, we never complain about portion sizes. And to date we have never left any meal wanting more food. If mine wasn't adaquit I stole something from my wife's plate or vise versa.

Now, there are exceptions. Flametree does give a slack child's menu, and the burger at Pecos Bills for children resembles more of a slider than a burger. Now, listen carefully, the way the deal works, there is a somewhat of a work-around. The way the DDP works, you have one CS and one TS per person per day (2 cs per person per day) HOWEVER, you do NOT have to use them as such. In those situations where the children don't want whats on the child's menu, we simply order it off the adult menu, and just leave it at that. They rarely ever ask at CS meals. We NEVER EVER eat all out CS meals or snacks, and we are one of those (as slightly goofy mentioned) "sharing" families, and it usually equals out to 3 CS meals per meal for the 4 of us. A good example is Flametree. We would order 2 St Louis Ribs plates (my single favorite meal in all WDW) and one half chicken plate. Thats 3 adult CS credits. No, they NEVER ask. We then carry it along with about a QUART WORTH of that yummy hot sauce that I literally DRINK at the end of the meal, over to the table, and split it up 4 ways. We all eat, all are very full, and all are happy. As for my family, we rarely ever have to use all 4 credits at a CS for the 4 of us. Some times we only use 2. split it all up 4 ways, and then go over to another place an hour later and do it AGAIN!!!:cool1:
Every trip we have quite a few CS meals to cash in on the last day. We load the cooler with ice, grap several breakfast platters each, and load the coolers with breakfast platters. On the 9 hour trip home we snack on cold breakfast platters. Its not as bad as it sounds. We actually enjoy it all cold. Bacon and all. The only thing we didnt eat cold was the hash rounds!

SEDF, maybe the mods fear certain words or topics not because of the subject matter but the fact that some folks get all disjointed and uncivil with each other? They have a hard job trying to keep all of wild people under control and do a pretty good job of it.:goodvibes

I am pretty sure that on the QSDP adult and child credits are not separate and that you can order from the regular menu for your children. Just another reason for families to love that plan IMO.

I have quit using my key card with credit privileges because of the many reports of folks leaving a cash tip and then being charged yet again later. I do not give my credit card when eating out either. Seems a bit scary to let someone take my card off somewhere and do who knows what.

I always leave a tip at Puck's CS which is not really required, if given service. Had such good service last time that I left a BIG one. Just do not care to leave such for poor service and there is a lot of that going around.

I do note that you and I are alike in another way, we might watch the pennies in some areas but spend big where we love. In your case cameras? lol I am presently trying to convince myself that I do not NEED another computer. I have one desktop and one laptop at present. Wish me luck. :laughing:

SG

Cute and interesting but I don't think the QSDP is actually cost-effective. And I don't gain weight when I go to Disney no matter what plan I am on or not because I choose to eat healthy and not pig out (which you can do on any plan or no plan at all).

I don't think people should feel guilty for QSDP or TSDP or staying at a value or a deluxe. Each to their own and a nice sentiment for those that don't choose to eat table service but I wouldn't go so far as to diss those that don't choose 'cheap'.

I am pretty sure that on the QSDP adult and child credits are not separate and that you can order from the regular menu for your children. Just another reason for families to love that plan IMO.

Despite this, child credits are intended to be used for child meals. There's no problem sharing them, but using child credits to order adult meals (except for the relatively few locations that do not have a separate child menu) violates the letter and spirit of the plan rules.

I guess I am a cheapskate too...but I see great value for us in QSDP. We enjoy the flexibility, and there are plenty of good choices if you know where to look.

We will be going on a big family gathering in November, to the BWV...but I think we (three of us) are the only ones getting a DP. Might end up not working out for us financially, but I think we can share our credits throughout the week with other family members (I think):confused3
Then I'll look like a big spender! :cool1:

As far as value, try to understand, I've never paid a penny for the dining plan. Its free dining or not at all. When it's not being offered as free we have other ways of eating. We bring in much of our own food and revert back to our list of cheap places to eat and cheap menus. (IE: Ham and cheese Croissant at France for $3.50) If I only went once every year or two I'd probably just go ahead and buy what we want and not worry about it, but going several times a year that would add up fast.
And also many people don't understand that even when your on "free dining", it's not really free. There are other discount codes available that one could choose (some quite good I may add) that could be a much better deal for certain families at certain resorts. It all depends on your particular situation. We've done the numbers plenty of times, and for us, staying at PC, free dining wins every time. But at 40% off Beach Club (hopefully my Dec or May trip) we might do the resort discount instead.

Tinkerbellie... I envy you. I was raised poor. I was taught as a child that you ate what was put on your plate. "clean your plate!". We now know that's not really healthy or wise, but back then thats how we were taught. Old habits are hard to break. And I like food, i mean REALLY like food!!! If its delicious, I have a hard time stopping. I actually posted a thread about that once (after that overeating trip) and the responses were amazing from both sides of the fence. Thats how we learned about the salt trick. Even my son now uses that trick when we are at Disney.

I am fairly sure that I have read that while there is a difference in child credits for TS menus there is not for the CS places. I often, an adult, often pay OP for the child's meal and they know I am doing so and I have never had a problem.

Just another way that the QS DP beats the others IMO.

BTW, I respectfully argue that limiting children to PB sandwiches and such is just wrong. If the children are not happy the parents will not have as much incentive to take them to DW in the first place.

JMO, Slightly Goofy

Despite this, child credits are intended to be used for child meals. There's no problem sharing them, but using child credits to order adult meals (except for the relatively few locations that do not have a separate child menu) violates the letter and spirit of the plan rules.

You are absolutely correct. For example, if your KTTW card is marked 2 adults and 2 children, you will only be allowed to order 2 adult and 2 child CS meals at a time. If you are trying to outwit the system, trick the CMs at the restaurants, and get adult meals when you've only paid (or gotten for free) for a child's meal plan, it's just plain stealing.

I am sorry if I am wrong but I have often read that the CS do n ot differentiate between chld and adult credits only at the TS.

I tend to try to follow rules and would not encourage others to do so, within reason.

Slightly Goofy

As far as value, try to understand, I've never paid a penny for the dining plan. Its free dining or not at all. When it's not being offered as free we have other ways of eating. We bring in much of our own food and revert back to our list of cheap places to eat and cheap menus. (IE: Ham and cheese Croissant at France for $3.50) If I only went once every year or two I'd probably just go ahead and buy what we want and not worry about it, but going several times a year that would add up fast.
And also many people don't understand that even when your on "free dining", it's not really free. There are other discount codes available that one could choose (some quite good I may add) that could be a much better deal for certain families at certain resorts. It all depends on your particular situation. We've done the numbers plenty of times, and for us, staying at PC, free dining wins every time. But at 40% off Beach Club (hopefully my Dec or May trip) we might do the resort discount instead.

Tinkerbellie... I envy you. I was raised poor. I was taught as a child that you ate what was put on your plate. "clean your plate!". We now know that's not really healthy or wise, but back then thats how we were taught. Old habits are hard to break. And I like food, i mean REALLY like food!!! If its delicious, I have a hard time stopping. I actually posted a thread about that once (after that overeating trip) and the responses were amazing from both sides of the fence. Thats how we learned about the salt trick. Even my son now uses that trick when we are at Disney.

Agree about how you were raised--same here. But there was a BIG difference...much, much, much smaller helpings back in the day. I can remember my Mom getting the wings & drumsticks chicken pack...each kid got ONE piece of chicken for dinner...the 5-6-7 year olds got the wings, the 8-9-10 yr. olds got the drumsticks. But never more than one piece each. And those were itty-bitty chickens back then, before growth hormones & breeding-for-meaty was really going. We finished everything because you'd go hungry otherwise!

What the heck is "the salt trick?"

I am sorry if I am wrong but I have often read that the CS do n ot differentiate between chld and adult credits only at the TS.

I tend to try to follow rules and would not encourage others to do so, within reason.

Slightly Goofy

It's true that adult and child CS credits are pooled but you still must order from the kids' menu for a child when one is available. It's clearly stated in the dining plan "rules". It's only logical that if you're only paying the small amount of money for the kids' dining plan you can't order an adult's much more expensive meal. On the other hand, there are a few restaurants such as Casey's in the MK that don't have a separate kids' menu, in those cases it's perfectly fine to order whatever you want using a child's CS credit. And of course, if you're an adult and would rather order something for yourself from the kids' menu, it's ok.

http://everythingwdw.blogspot.com/2010/03/disney-quick-service-dining-plan.html

Now I am not sure I put the link in right but this is the most definitive explanation that I have seen on whether you can get adult meals with a child credit or not. It is what my experience has been and what I have read though.

SG

I just read that and I can only say that I would feel extremely uncomfortable and dishonest using a child's CS credit to pay for an adult meal.

Just snagged this from the dining plan info at the Disney website:
The Disney Dining Plan is unavailable for Guests under the age of
3, but they may share from an adult plate at no charge, or a meal
may be purchased from the menu. The price of the meal will be
added to your bill. Guests ages 3-9 must order from a children’s
menu where available.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/me...alog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2010Dining.pdf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter