Dance Costume Debate

Not at all inappropriate.

The only issue I see here is not with the costume at all... But with the 'presentation'... that heavy read lipstick, that particular pose and expression on the face, etc...

And, I just want to throw this question out here...
I was just wondering why the whole extended family seems to be involved in this.... voicing opinions, speaking with the dance instructor, etc.

Ohhhh, editing to add one other note: The yellow polka dots (while not tropical bird inspired) are just adorable!!!!! I find the feathered Vegas or 1920 influences on the other costumes you showed to be more questionable.

I agree!!! Why is the whole family voicing their opinions?:confused3

But I don't think it smart for tumbling at all !

Another Dance Mom here. I don't think it is inappropriate, and when I think about it, I can see it for an acro dance to that music at 4 yrs old--basic tumbling and jumps, probably some charleston type moves thrown in (they would go with the music and the costume). 4 yr olds aren't typically doing the level of acro that would bring about major costume malfunctions.

I would suggest sewing the headpiece into the hair if there is time and you have a chance--that thing looks sure to slip or fall off.

It looks like a cross between a flapper and the coppertone kid to me.

I would actually be more concerned about the adults that see it as sexual than I would about the child wearing it--that is just icky.

Thanks for all the input!

It's cute. Im not a big fan of the bow because I've had a daughter in dance at that age and her entire class kept having their bows fall off or misplaced. Bows were a disaster.
I'm not really fond of the bow either. I can remember when I danced how many times things like that would fall off or slip. She had a bow last year with her costume, but it was on a barrette, but she only had the one dance.

I'm not fond of painting little girls faces.
Its fine, but the blue eye shadow is creepy.

Her teacher last year told everyone no to the blue shadow. She wanted a more natural looking palette, but I can remember my Mom caking on the blue shadow when my sister and I took dance but that was way back in the 80's. LOL

I do think it might be impractical for an acro routine with such young kids. They might find themselves pulling down the top and making adjustments during the routine if the costume pulls up or feels uncomfortable. It might be good to add the flesh colored material in the middle just for comfort and to keep the top in place.
I agree. And she is the type of kid that I can totally see her fussing with it throughout the dance.

It doesn't remind me of tiki room but I'm sure the studio owner has some vision in her head.
That was the point I was trying to make to my brother.

I don't see anything wrong with it..but not liking the bow but who knows if they will actually wear that part of it.
I'm really hoping they lose the bow.

When the costumes came in they had the sheer material between the top and bottom making it a one piece, it wasn't shown like that in the catalog. The one piece works out better for little ones IMO, this way they're not constantly yanking something up and down and nothing gets out of place. So it may appear 2 pieces but may in actuality be 1 piece.
The description on the dance costume company's website says that it is 2 pieces. It would be great if it did come as one.

Former dance mom joining in. No, not inappropriate. I would however flag it for being ugly as sin -- but that's more common than not with dance costumes.
:rotfl2: I agree! My sister and I each danced for 8-10 years as kids and had some rather hideous costumes. LOL

The feathered number is definitely cuter, but I can't see it for acro because the feathers would become a liability. I've seen that one used several times for jazz and tap.
I know. I just posted those as some examples of what I think of when I think Tiki Room, but probably wouldn't work with the tumbling in the routine.

I think dads have a hard time with dance in general, though, because they associate showing skin with sex appeal rather than freedom of movement and makeup with trying to attract men rather than with looking normal under stage lighting.
I agree with you on this.

And, I just want to throw this question out here...
I was just wondering why the whole extended family seems to be involved in this.... voicing opinions, speaking with the dance instructor, etc.

I agree!!! Why is the whole family voicing their opinions?:confused3

I had shared the photo of the costumes on Facebook and my brothers both voiced there opinions there that they thought it was inappropriate. My one brother who is her Uncle went as far as to say it was "indecent." So thinks then escalated and others joined into the debate.

My sister and I are very involved with my nieces. We were both dancers as kids and before my niece was born we told my brother that we were going to pay for her to take dance lessons when she was older. My sister and I pay for everything regarding her dancing - lessons, leotards, shoes, costumes, etc. We also take her to all of her lessons, rehearsals, etc. The studio knows of the arrangements and knows both my sister and I. They don't have a problem with this. My brother usually has to work on Saturdays during her lessons, which is why I spoke to the teacher about his issues. Her teacher owned her own studio last year, but due to low attendance she closed it. She then came over to a new studio to teach. Since my niece loved her teacher we decided to follow her to this studio. Here at the new studio her teacher doesn't have as much control. And she is only at the studio pretty much on Saturdays. We wanted to make sure that our concerns were shared sooner rather than later since they are ordering them over the winter break coming up.

That said, knowing studio policy ahead if time is helpful. Some studios are up front about costume choices. And if any parent has a concern, they can share those concerns at the beginning of the year.
This is the first year at this studio. She danced with her teacher last year, but at another studio. Before making a decision regarding where to dance this year I researched a bunch of local studios, reading their policies, etc. The costumes were revealed just recently. As far as I could find on the studio website there wasn't much on there regarding costume policy other than that all tuition must be paid in full before the costume will be ordered.

I would suggest sewing the headpiece into the hair if there is time and you have a chance--that thing looks sure to slip or fall off.
The only probably is that we won't know the order of the show until June. Depending on which dance is first I'm not sure if it would be possible to sew it into her hair. Last year for security of the dancers, no one was allowed backstage. They had babysitters who were tasked with helping the kids change costumes. She only had one dance so it wasn't an issue. I'm not sure if she would let someone she doesn't know sew it into her hair.

I would actually be more concerned about the adults that see it as sexual than I would about the child wearing it--that is just icky.
I think that is what my brother is worried about. There are a lot of creepy people in this world.

My sister and I are very involved with my nieces. We were both dancers as kids and before my niece was born we told my brother that we were going to pay for her to take dance lessons when she was older. My sister and I pay for everything regarding her dancing - lessons, leotards, shoes, costumes, etc. We also take her to all of her lessons, rehearsals, etc.

I wish my daughter had an aunt like you!!
This year we have 13 costumes, 4 of them paid for with performance team fees, 7 different shoes, 20 hrs of classes a week including performance team practices....

This year she is doing Ballet, Pointe, Tap, Jazz, Hip-hop, Contemporary, Modern, Acro, Musical Theater, technique, a technique private, and a tap solo. She is also doing jazz, hip-hop, and tap performance team dances.

Pointe shoes are going to kill me. I am making her hold off until January until the next pair...the box is only soft in one spot and she can harden it with glue and get a couple more weeks out of them.

I look at the kids that are doing multiple solos and duets, and are in 6 or more different dances for performance team, and I have no idea how they or their parents do it. I know the schedule alone is killing me!

I had shared the photo of the costumes on Facebook and my brothers both voiced there opinions there that they thought it was inappropriate. My one brother who is her Uncle went as far as to say it was "indecent." So thinks then escalated and others joined into the debate.

My sister and I are very involved with my nieces. We were both dancers as kids and before my niece was born we told my brother that we were going to pay for her to take dance lessons when she was older. My sister and I pay for everything regarding her dancing - lessons, leotards, shoes, costumes, etc. We also take her to all of her lessons, rehearsals, etc. The studio knows of the arrangements and knows both my sister and I. They don't have a problem with this. My brother usually has to work on Saturdays during her lessons, which is why I spoke to the teacher about his issues. Her teacher owned her own studio last year, but due to low attendance she closed it. She then came over to a new studio to teach. Since my niece loved her teacher we decided to follow her to this studio. Here at the new studio her teacher doesn't have as much control. And she is only at the studio pretty much on Saturdays. We wanted to make sure that our concerns were shared sooner rather than later since they are ordering them over the winter break coming up.

This is the first year at this studio. She danced with her teacher last year, but at another studio. Before making a decision regarding where to dance this year I researched a bunch of local studios, reading their policies, etc. The costumes were revealed just recently. As far as I could find on the studio website there wasn't much on there regarding costume policy other than that all tuition must be paid in full before the costume will be ordered.

The only probably is that we won't know the order of the show until June. Depending on which dance is first I'm not sure if it would be possible to sew it into her hair. Last year for security of the dancers, no one was allowed backstage. They had babysitters who were tasked with helping the kids change costumes. She only had one dance so it wasn't an issue. I'm not sure if she would let someone she doesn't know sew it into her hair.

I think that is what my brother is worried about. There are a lot of creepy people in this world.

So it sounds as if there is no Mom involved?

I don't see anything wrong with it, but that's just one former dancer's opinion. There's nothing overtly sexual about it, so I don't see why there would be a problem. You're right, though, it doesn't really remind me of the Enchanted Tiki Room at all! Your suggestions are much better.

I wish my daughter had an aunt like you!!
This year we have 13 costumes, 4 of them paid for with performance team fees, 7 different shoes, 20 hrs of classes a week including performance team practices....

This year she is doing Ballet, Pointe, Tap, Jazz, Hip-hop, Contemporary, Modern, Acro, Musical Theater, technique, a technique private, and a tap solo. She is also doing jazz, hip-hop, and tap performance team dances.

Pointe shoes are going to kill me. I am making her hold off until January until the next pair...the box is only soft in one spot and she can harden it with glue and get a couple more weeks out of them.

I look at the kids that are doing multiple solos and duets, and are in 6 or more different dances for performance team, and I have no idea how they or their parents do it. I know the schedule alone is killing me!

I feel your pain on the schedule and the pointe shoes. DD very quickly reached the point where she could break in a new pair of pointe shoes in a single class. We were buying them so often we sought out Suffolks because her teacher thought the extra cost would be worth it because they would last longer. She never really bonded with them the way she did her Blochs.

You know it's bad when the dance shop knows your voice -- oh, you want the Sonatas, size 4 for Suzie, right? The owner started keeping a pair behind the counter on reserve at all times for DD we were in there so much. DH ran in with me one time & when we walked out he said he was surprised they didn't roll out a little red carpet for me to walk in on.

It's our first year on competition. She's still old enough for petite groups, but she's dancing up with hip hop - and older girls get eyelashes. Lord save us all.

A little tip I've learned with regards to applying lashes... Have your daughter sit in a chair with her back to you and tip her head back (so she is looking up at the ceiling). Apply the lashes from behind her. It may take a few times to get it perfect but it is so much easier and quicker than face to face application once you get the hang of it.

:confused3 re ally ... A 4 year old is required to wear false eyelashes to dance?

No. My 7 year old is dancing in a group with older kids. Since they where eyelashes in their age group my daughter has to. She doesn't in her petite groups that go through 2nd grade.

No one was talking about the OPs daughter.

I'd be more concerned with the butterfly one actually. One of the classes from dd's studio wore them last year and the velvet straps started stretching show way more than should be. The mom's were doing some frantic sewing right before the performance started.

There has been some debate in my family since we were shown what my niece's dance costumes would be. My niece is nearly 4 years old. This is her second year in dance. This year she will be doing two routines - a ballet one and then an acro/tumbling routine.

For the ballet routine they will be lady bugs and this is the costume:

JunoDance_Ballet_zpsc5e12cb9.jpg

The debate is over the costume for the acro/tumbling routine. The song is the Hilary Duff version "Tiki Tiki Room" from the Disneymania CD. *Here is the costume causing the debate:

JunoDance_Acro_zps772445d5.jpg

My sister, Mom, and I all don't really have a problem with it. Though it doesn't make me think of the Tiki Room. I would have thought something that looked more like a bird would have fit the theme better. The controversial costume seems to fit "Yellow polka dot bikini" better than Tiki.

Something like this is more along the lines of what I think of when I think of the Tiki Room:

TikiInspired_zps5ebe32c8.jpg

But both of my brothers think it's inappropriate for 4 year-olds. My niece has worn a bikini to swim in. The costume was picked by the owner of the studio and I know she has a vision in mind for the show, which wasn't shared with us. We were only shown the costumes for her groups and not told the overall theme of the show, though I think I have an idea. I told my brother who is Juno's daddy that we could probably ask if it would be OK to have some nude, flesh material sewn on so that it becomes a 1 piece.

This past week I talked to the teacher about my brother's concerns because he had to work and she did say it wouldn't have been her choice. She is going to talk with the owner about a solution that might help ease some of my brother's concerns. She said that she wouldn't have picked a two piece for a tumbling routine and especially not for their age group. I'm hoping that some kind of solution can be reached.

So do you think the 2 piece costume below is inappropriate for 4 year-olds?

JunoDance_Acro_zps772445d5.jpg

My daughter wore almost the exact same costume when she was 5 and the song was Yellow Polka Dot bikini. It was cute, and nobody was scandalzied about it. Oh, but at my DD dance school, all the kids wear a nude color body stocking (essentially its a nude color leotard) so you didn't actually see any skin. Between tights and the body stocking, you see nothing. I would think this costume would be more worrisome for girls in the 9 and up age range rather than the 4-5 year olds.

I wouldn't go into the studio to talk to the director because this costume is NOT that bad, and if you complain about something minor, you are going to be 'that parent'

.... Oh, but at my DD dance school, all the kids wear a nude color body stocking (essentially its a nude color leotard) so you didn't actually see any skin. Between tights and the body stocking, you see nothing. I would think this costume would be more worrisome for girls in the 9 and up age range rather than the 4-5 year olds.

The dance studio that I used to attend had everyone wear a body stocking/full body tights. This way there were no bare midriffs on any age.

I agree that it really isn't Tiki Room related, so not sure where the owner is going with this one. :confused3

I don't know if your studio does this, but we used to have the kids put their tan tights on and any other tights that they had to wear like pink or black would then get put on over the tan tights. Have you ever tried to put tights on sweaty legs? Does not happen if you are in a hurry. You leave the tan tights on and you slip the others over them. Makes putting on tights so much easier. When you are done with the pink tights, slip them off and then you have your tan ones on. We had to change 5 little girls from Angels to Mice (with black tights) in less than 90 seconds and this made all the difference. We got them out of their angel costume and into their black tights & leotard and black ballet shoes and ready to go back on with a few seconds to spare.

Thank you to everyone who commented in this thread. My niece's dance recital was last weekend. We ended up buying a nude leotard for her to wear under her costume. The other two girls in her class did the same thing. They all looked adorable and did a great job!

J_TikiCostume_zpsukuq1yyn.jpg

Aw, it looks like she is having fun up there. I miss dance recitals.
Thanks for coming back and telling us how things worked out (and sharing cute photos)

I feel your pain on the schedule and the pointe shoes. DD very quickly reached the point where she could break in a new pair of pointe shoes in a single class. We were buying them so often we sought out Suffolks because her teacher thought the extra cost would be worth it because they would last longer. She never really bonded with them the way she did her Blochs.

You know it's bad when the dance shop knows your voice -- oh, you want the Sonatas, size 4 for Suzie, right? The owner started keeping a pair behind the counter on reserve at all times for DD we were in there so much. DH ran in with me one time & when we walked out he said he was surprised they didn't roll out a little red carpet for me to walk in on.

I'll join the "pointe shoe pain" club! DD has hard-to-fit feet; 2 different sizes, hereditary bunions, pronounced achilles, and strong feet with not great arches. The happiest day of my life was when the 3rd trained pointe shoe fitter agreed with the two previous, that DD really needed to wear Gaynor Mindens. We were trying to avoid this, but after 3 recommendations we ordered the Gaynors and never looked back! We went from buying 12 or more pairs of pointe shoes a year to buying FOUR pairs! I do not miss the constant ordering, panicking when SIs or Nutcracker season approached because of shoe backorders (Russian Pointe is terrible for this), the endless jet glue, and of course continual sewing of ribbons and elastics. Now, we order 2 pairs just before Nut season and and 2 pairs in January, instead of multiple pairs whenever I could afford them or they were in stock. I bet I am saving $800 a year now that DD is in Gaynors. I know GMs get a lot of bashing and opinions, and I don't think they are for everyone (especially dancers with fewer than 3 or 4 years of pointe training), but they have been a life saver for both DD's feet and my wallet!

(and when DD wore Suffolks, I think she danced through them just as quickly as any others, although I think her Freeds were the worst for wearing out quickly!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter