Dance costume costs

We need to pay a $75 deposit for each of our costumes at our studio, with the balance due in the spring. Last year my DD did 2 classes and I need to pay another $60, plus the cost of pictures ($20) and the tickets to the recital
($20). Oh yeah let not forget the monthly fee and shoes, leotards and shoes.
This year my DS is dancing too so even more costs. As I tell my kids I go to work so they can dance and do other activities they love to do.:thumbsup2

My dd is 11 and my DEPOSIT was over $500 :scared1::scared1: DH will not be seeing the final bill :rotfl: I'm a little frightened of it myself.

Off the top of my head, I think that's for 8 costumes....maybe 9 :confused3

4 costumes are for competition dances, so she'll wear those alot and I don't mind paying more for those.

We just paid $60 for each of my girls last week. They too sell the costumes and tights at cost so it does sound resonnable. We will also have to buy ticket for the recital.

Our studio are $57 kids sizes and $65 adults. Tights extra $9 if they need them. My daughter is also on the competition team- they have black leotards and dance pants that they use for non-competition events. (They dance at fundraisers for various organizations as well as in a couple parades.) DD can wear those things in class also and they jazz them up cheaply for various events. (Like for the Christmas show/fundraiser, some classes wore Santa hats or fleece scarves.) I also like that they are good about just one costume for the combo classes. They have a skirt to swap out for ballet or tap, some have shorts or pants to add on for jazz. Sometimes the older girls have specific shoes to wear, but they are told at the beginning of the year/don't need new ones come recital time.

For what they are, it definately is alot. I try not to think about paying $60 for one outfit and just mentally add it into the cost of dance for the year. I have kept DD at just two classes though, because the costumes can really add up!

I did not add tights in the cost of my costumes they are 11.00 and you need at least one for each class and I buy a extra pair for each because one year I didn't and she got holes. We also have to buy a Recital Tshirt that is around 15.00

What a budget buster!!! Last night, my dd brought home the balance that we owe for my girls' dance costumes. When you add in the cost of the costume deposit I paid in the fall, the cost of costumes this year exceeds $500!!

This is our 12th year. My daughter will have 5 costumes this year...we always have to pay $70 deposit for each costume (Due Nov 1st), with full payment (which varies depending on the costume) by March 1st. Most years, our costumes average around $70-$75 each. We have had a couple that were $85, and we've had (rarely, maybe two costumes in all the 12 years) a couple that came in around $40 or $45. This doesn't include the body stocking, the shoes, the tights, and occasionally a fake ponytail.

As I understand it, the costumes don't actually cost this much, they cost more like $50 to the studio, but we get charged the amount we do because the studio does the fittings, the measurements (but not shortening them, tacking shoulder straps etc, we are responsible for that ourselves), the shipping costs, etc. I'm not complaining too much about that because I know how many costumes they deal with and what a hassle it is (we have about 350 students in our studio, and most average 4 or 5 costumes if they are over 7 years old). This year they got the ballet costumes for my daughters class, and hated how they looked on the kids, so they had to return them and reorder something different. I also know that they always have tons they have to exchange for sizing in spite of careful measuring at the beginning of the year.

I would like to ask that if she needs to wear those tights with more than 1 costume I would buy 2 pairs. That is a lot of wear and if she needs to take them on and off with changes, a lot of chances for holes,runs.
And it can be darn near impossible to find an exact match to all the other girls if something happens close to the recital.

This is definitely a good plan. We have to have a specific color/style of tights and they are impossible to find locally and the studio often runs out at recital time. Our kids are required to have BRAND NEW tights for recital, so you can't just wear the ones you already have. Generally they wear lycra tights for tap and jazz (light toast) and ballet pinks for ballet and lyric. Some classes also need to have black fishnets depending on the costume.

I always buy at least 2-3 pairs of each color tights because my dd ALWAYS puts a run in them during the show:headache: If my DD doesn't need them I either sell them to someone who has an emergency or she wears them next year for classes.

For DD's recital the total is $240 :scared1:- paid in three payments. This is for one ballet costume (I didn't feel as bad last year when it included an extra piece for the tap routine), hall rental, tights, recital t-shirt and unlimited tickets to the recital. If DD doesn't want to do it next year, I won't be upset.

My dd5 takes 3 classes ballet, tap, and jazz, and we paid $55-$60 for each costume. She needed one for each class, so 3 total. That cost does not include tights, other accessories, or show tickets, but they can wear the same shoes from class. I know the owner sells them at cost to us, so she isn't making anything on them. The ones we have are very well made and super super cute. She has worn her 3 from last year several times to practice as well as around the house. We just saw the pics for the ones for this year and dd is VERY excited to get them!!

DD11, is in 2 classes, with 3 costumes. Jazz/Lyrical and Hip Hop. I paid a $200 deposit in October and just paid the $60 balance at the beginning of January. Coming to about $86 each. (So your $72 sounds reasonable.) She has been dancing for 9 years and they have ranged from about $65 to $90, depending on the amount of accessories. She is on the Company Superstar Team and has danced at a Christmas Stroll and at one of the city Parades. She wore black pants and holiday colored sweater, scarf, hat and mittens for those. She will also be dancing at a couple of other events but will be wearing recital costumes to those since they are now available. So it's money that we have to spend, but she is my only one so it's easy. :dance3:

I just paid off my DD's costumes this morning. She has two: tap & ballet and the total was $87. Our studio tries really hard to make them as affordable as possible.

Sounds about right, my DD's costume cost $74. She can use her jazz shoes that she wears to class and the same tights, but I usually buy new ones for pictures and the recital.

Ours are about that much. I really wish they'd just buy one basic costume and accessorize differently for the different dances, or even (gasp) wear the same costume. Ours are pretty cheaply made, too. I always have to reinforce straps and stress points because every year I see accidents in the dressing room.

I hate owning them. They are clutter we don't need, but I feel guilty throwing them out after paying so much and having them worn once or twice.

I used to pay waaay too much each year with 2 dd's in multiple classes. My complaint was that costumes were too tight/ small to wear after recital.

After 2 years of that, I let the owner know I would NOT be paying for any costume unless it was an "adult small" size. I was a pain in the butt about it. You know, the first picture day after I got involved in the size of their costumes.... I had MANY mothers complain that MY girls costumes fit while their dd's were too tight!

Some other mama's were quite pushy wanting to trade because their dd's were taller/heavier but given costumes in sizes smaller than my dd's costumes.

Nope, we kept what I'd insisted upon back months prior..... And with all the costumes we bought with me insisting on the correct size.... I only ever had to alter ONE! Its easy to take a tuck, but impossible to let out a seam when there's nothing there ... KWIM?

My sister teaches tap. She limits herself to $35 per costume including everything. This is due to the tough economy and her students home situations. Her kids look great every recital, there are options out there which don't break the bank.

I would have said that was outrageous until it hit me that your dd was taking 7 classes. Seventy bucks extra for a costume for each class sounds ok. I guess it might just be considered an expected additional expense when you sign up in the Fall.

But....I've got to ask. Seven classes? Wow. My dd is 10 and takes 3 classes plus she is on the studio's performance team which calls for another few hours of rehearsal on Saturday which have an hourly fee (not all year though). If she chooses to audition for the competition team in the future they require them to take 5 classes. No, not cheap. Still, I'd take it over soccer anyday:)

Actually that is about the average in my experience, my daughter took lessons from age 5 thru 17, that was 3-5 ballet classes a week, 1 each tap, jazz, lyrical, pointe, hip hop, hula and usually a special number for certain students. I am sure I am missing a class. I know her teacher tried to keep costs down and NO she did not add a percentage, but some teachers do. Since my daughter is considering entering some solo competitions last week we did go on line and yes, many costumes were less than $50, but as you said those would be the ones that would fall apart after one or two wearings. What was worse her teacher insisted on payment the week before Christmas, the cost of costumes, new dance shoes at least once a month and more during recital and performances (she danced in a preprofessional ballet company), not to mention new tights and other necessities during recital and performances but the many leotards kept us best friends with the local dance wear shop. Even tho our daughter is now 22 yrs old and not doing so much dance, I do often wonder how things would have been if we were not spending so much on dance, However I do not really regret the memories of her on stage. We each have our limits, I know there were years where we did not put her in ALL the classes for recital to save some $$.

WE are far from rich, but we did the best we could, afterall we also had a son who took lessons a couple of years and played baseball, soccer and wrestled, so we had expenses related to those as well.

Sending wishes of good luck to your daughter in her dances.:lovestruc

My dds' costumes are $62 - $65 this year. DD12 and DD9 take 6 classes each and dd6 takes one. Tap and jazz share the same leotard, just different bottoms so that saves a little money there. I do buy two oldest dds two pair of tights since they have so many routines. Tights are $15 for adult size and $12 for kids.

The costumes have all been shared among my girls for dress up and Halloween afterwards. Youngest dd has worn an old costume of
dd12's for 2 Halloweens now!

My sister teaches tap. She limits herself to $35 per costume including everything. This is due to the tough economy and her students home situations. Her kids look great every recital, there are options out there which don't break the bank.

I totally agree! The kids don't need a brand new fancy costume for every single recital dance. They can get more modest costumes, or reuse them, build them around standard components, or even wear a coordinated ensemble of their own clothes.

I don't understand why parents keep accepting this. I have a friend who was told she had to buy a $75 makeup kit for her 8 year old. It's ridiculous!

It's such a racket. I think if parents got together and were firm, there would be changes implemented fast.

This is our 12th year. My daughter will have 5 costumes this year...we always have to pay $70 deposit for each costume (Due Nov 1st), with full payment (which varies depending on the costume) by March 1st. Most years, our costumes average around $70-$75 each. We have had a couple that were $85, and we've had (rarely, maybe two costumes in all the 12 years) a couple that came in around $40 or $45. This doesn't include the body stocking, the shoes, the tights, and occasionally a fake ponytail.

As I understand it, the costumes don't actually cost this much, they cost more like $50 to the studio, but we get charged the amount we do because the studio does the fittings, the measurements (but not shortening them, tacking shoulder straps etc, we are responsible for that ourselves), the shipping costs, etc. I'm not complaining too much about that because I know how many costumes they deal with and what a hassle it is (we have about 350 students in our studio, and most average 4 or 5 costumes if they are over 7 years old). This year they got the ballet costumes for my daughters class, and hated how they looked on the kids, so they had to return them and reorder something different. I also know that they always have tons they have to exchange for sizing in spite of careful measuring at the beginning of the year.

Glad to hear that someone does seem to understand all of the time and work that the studio owners/teachers put into these costumes. As far as someone also mentioning that on top of the costumes they will then have to pay for recital tickets.........It costs a lot to rent a venue and pay for lighting, sound, maintainance workers,etc. Some studios have to pay their teachers to be there, some do not. It may cost a lot to you, but there is so much time and money invested behind the scene. If that were your job, you would want to get paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter