Damaged luggage.Letter in the Telegraph

I just checked the Journeywise Website and found this exclusion in the terms and conditions:

"5. Loss or damage, directly or indirectly caused by any government, public or local authority legally taking or damaging your property."

So it seems that if your luggage is damaged by the security staff then you have no grounds for an insurance claim!

Talk about locking the door after the horse has bolted...I have absolutely no problem with my luggage being checked but this system sounds chaotic.

Believe me the airports are chaotic.
I left from West Palm Beach on 5th March going to Las Vegas, at checkin I was told to remove the lock from my case or it would be broken off!! I did remove it but wasn't happy about it. I had put things in the case to save hassle at security!!
We walked about a mile to the end of the security line - I have NEVER seen anything like it. Absolutely ridiculous, they had to take the people for the next leaving flight out of line to another line or we'd all have missed the flight. It was a minimum 2 hour line. If you had on shoes with any kind of heel you had to put them through the scanner too. I put my handbag through, never realising until I got to the hotel in Vegas I had a stanley blade - box cutter - so whats with the excess security holdup!!
On our return I padlocked my case, I wasn't asked to remove it so it went through but when I picked it up at West Palm the lock was cut open. I don't believe there is any need for this and hope with many complaints they may resolve it.
Same thing happened on my last return from Orlando, when I arrived back in Glasgow there was no locks on either case. I complained and was told it was policy now!! Nothing you can do about it.
I would say pack and secure your case but have the key handy incase you are asked to remove the lock. Pack anything non clothing in the middle of the case so it's not lying handy just in case someone looks inside. Most of all - don't let it spoil your holiday.

Julie

Originally posted by Goofyish

"5. Loss or damage, directly or indirectly caused by any government, public or local authority legally taking or damaging your property."

So it seems that if your luggage is damaged by the security staff then you have no grounds for an insurance claim!

Part of this could be challenged. It means that you cannot claim for damage to cases, but what if stuff goes missing as a result of the cases being opened ? That would be a good one to argue with the insurance companies.

I usually pack my video camera in my suitcase,I wonder now if this will be(or always was ) a bad idea??

They (who are they ?) advise you to pack all electrical equipment in your hand luggage.

We always take cameras and video's etc as hand luggage - there's no good reason to put these things in an unlocked or locked suitcase. I saw some mention that some new type of scanner might damage film (in hand luggage) so maybe that should be packed in the checked luggage.

When all is said and done the system doesn't work anyway. I flew out of Newark 4 mths after 9/11 and went through a long wait while one of these hand-luggage checkers couldn't recognise spare AA batteries for my walkman (we're not talking a huge bag here). They also had me take off some flat heeeled boots and put those through a scanner. I don't mind them checking, I want to get wherever safely. However, on a flight from Gatwick to Barcelona last year my DH inadvertantly took a Swiss Army knife on board in his hand luggage. We discovered it in the bottom of his flight bag a few days later and couldn't believe it had got through. Some good me putting my nail file and tweezers in my checked-luggage if people can still go through with knives!

Sadly, it seems to me, not much has been learnt from 9/11 other than knee-jerk reactions and a chaotic, untrained, ill-thought out response. Do they need more better trained security staff - or does that cost them more money that they don't want to pay out?

I'd be interested to hear the vewpoint of the men and women who work in this field.

While we all want to be safe in the skies to say that our luggage can be damaged, left open and prey to theft - not to mention the possibility of something being put into an open case - and they absolve themselves of all responsibility is just not acceptable.

Interestingly a credit card I use that has some travel cover wrote to me today saying that the flight delay and baggage delay are no longer included. Won't be long before insurance companies wake-up to this and none of us are covered for much of anything with reguard to our luggage.

OK - rant over!

Never put film in checked baggage - it is the scanners for checked baggage that are the problem. Always put film, cameras and especially video cameras in your hand luggage then you can keep an eye on them. I doubt that your video camera would be insured in checked luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter