Daisy Girl Scout Leaders

Our girls did well through cookie sales too... we have enough to buy vests for next year and also to do a fun project. The girls are working independently on their 100 year community service project ~ and we have done some things with them... such as valentine's day cards to the local nursing home.

Last year in July I bought a craft project for each meeting of the year through Oriental Trading Company WICKED cheap. Mostly because all the holiday stuff was clearance.

Me and my daughter will not be returning to our troop next year because we will be living in Florida and will need to find a new troop. But our goal for our troop has always been to save as much as we can in order to go to Europe when they are older.

So yeah... we save most of ours.

So excited that a Disney loving person is moving to Florida! Your new troop will be so excited to have someone who wants to help lead!!!

I definitely plan to revisit the plans/budget with the girls...we just finished sales Sunday, and we were going to talk about how sales went tomorrow anyway, so now I will just work in a plans/budget discussion, too. We didn't do nuts, either, but I have heard they are harder to sell. I would like to at least give it a try (assuming I get enough parent help) since there were some really cool winter events that we missed out on this year that we are hoping to do next year....yeah, it was definitely a change going from planning around asking parents for money to just making plans with the girls' money...

We had about $500 from cookie sales and leftover troop dues that we didn't spend as of begining of March.

We had the girls vote on how they wanted to spend the monies and then my co-leader and I determined the rest;)

Girls Vote (Cookie Money)
===================
Trip to Zoo, lunch, snack and souvenir
Purchased the Brownie Vest
Purchased the Girls Guide for Brownies before they raise the price!
$50 left in the account for a future big trip

Then coleader and I spent the remaining monies on some final patches, craft supplies, poster board and a gift for our Cookie Mom.

This was our first time selling cookies and it was nice to have some extra monies.

We didn't do the nut or magazine sale last year. I'm not sure if we will do them this year.

Thanks for the tip, I check in w/ Oriental Trading randomly, but I'll definitely check in around July :thumbsup2

Our girls did well through cookie sales too... we have enough to buy vests for next year and also to do a fun project. The girls are working independently on their 100 year community service project ~ and we have done some things with them... such as valentine's day cards to the local nursing home.

Last year in July I bought a craft project for each meeting of the year through Oriental Trading Company WICKED cheap. Mostly because all the holiday stuff was clearance.

Me and my daughter will not be returning to our troop next year because we will be living in Florida and will need to find a new troop. But our goal for our troop has always been to save as much as we can in order to go to Europe when they are older.

So yeah... we save most of ours.

Since we are all thinking about wrapping up this year/making plans for next year-does anyone have plans for end of the year/bridging gifts? I found a cute idea online to give the parents a little daisy planter starter set (like the ones you find in the Target dollar spot, or you could buy seeds/pots from the dollar store) and have the girls make "Thanks for helping us grow" notes. For the girls, I read everything from a box of Brownie mix to a full "brownie in a bag" starter kit (vest, journey books, etc.)...anyone give anything to their parents/girls last year? Or have plans for this year?

ETA: this would be something from me, bought w/ my money, in case you were wondering

Since we are all thinking about wrapping up this year/making plans for next year-does anyone have plans for end of the year/bridging gifts? I found a cute idea online to give the parents a little daisy planter starter set (like the ones you find in the Target dollar spot, or you could buy seeds/pots from the dollar store) and have the girls make "Thanks for helping us grow" notes. For the girls, I read everything from a box of Brownie mix to a full "brownie in a bag" starter kit (vest, journey books, etc.)...anyone give anything to their parents/girls last year? Or have plans for this year?

ETA: this would be something from me, bought w/ my money, in case you were wondering

My co-leader and I have given the girls Christmas gifts (out of our own money) for the past 2 years. Mostly small craft projects they can do over Christmas break and a few other items (ornament, hair bows, dress-up clothes, etc).

We didn't do an end-of-year gift and the only parent gift we got was a girl scout t-shirt for our Cookie Mom (troop funds) ~$10 on sale.

However, I do like the box of Brownie mix idea and will do that!

I so wish we had a 99cent store! Those would be perfect end of the year gifts. Darn it! I want those... but I don't want to pay the $12 for 3 on Amazon. I have 14 girls so that would be $60!

I'm starting to plan for next year, too. Moving up to Brownies. There is NO WAY, we can do all of the badges in 2 years. I think we are just supposed to pick the ones the girls want to do and not try to do all of them. I do not like having girl scout homework. Most of them won't do it anyway. I do think that it is important to do at least one journey each age level, meaning I decided to do one for Brownies and not try to do one per year (or more). We are going to do Brownie Quest. I figured I can complete it in 5 meetings. Once they get to Juniors, they need to complete a Journey to earn the Bronze Award, so it is a good idea to get them used to doing Journeys.

I definitely want to do First Aid and Girl Scout Ways. We will start with these 2 because I also want to get the girls ready to go camping. And we will definitley do the Financial Literacy and Cookie Business badges each year.

I think most of the badges will take 2 or 3 meetings to complete all 5 steps, so there is no way we can do all of them. And actually some of them seem really hard to do at a troop meeting. It is like they are written for girls to do individually at home and I don't think any of them would like that - the whole idea of being a troop is to do things together as a troop. We will do a few field trips, but I hate to plan too many. People are busy and it is hard to find a date when everyone can go, so I just pick a date that is convenient for me and see how many particpate. I have a few girls that don't come to any events outside of regular meetings.

I do think Brownies are more serious than Daisies. For Daisies, we did a craft or an activity at each meeting and they earned a petal. I am ready to move up to Brownies - it will be challenging, but also fun. I would love to hear ideas about plans for completing the steps to earn badges.

Thanks.
Kelly:)

Definitely no way to do it all in 2 years :dance3:...we are going to try to do all 3 journeys, but adjusted to fit our troop....for example, instead of the tea party for WoW, we will have a Water "Science Fair" and do lots of hands on water science fun :banana:...I also hope to visit as much water fun around us as possible (we have spraygrounds, a waterpark about 20 minutes away, a local lake that has a sand/water swim area, plus the wetlands and the SF bay nearby)...for Quest, we are going to do a whole "secret agent"/investigator theme :cool2: that will make it a little more fun for the girls....little notebooks to write down "clues" in, their homework will be "missions" or "secret assignments" ;), etc...

For badges, you're definitly right about a lot of them seem geared to individual work, which actually helped me narrow down the choices...the ones that seem like a good fit for troop work are the ones the girls will choose from to do together, the rest they can do individually or not, based on their interests. I have a few ideas for First Aid and GS Way already, I think those 2 really jump out to leaders or something, the other Daisy leaders in the SU and I were just laughing about how we all wanted to do those ones :laughing: For First Aid, we have a mom who is a nurse who has offered to come in and talk about basic first aid and calling 911. We will assemble a troop 1st Aid Kit, too. We also have a local hiking area that offers free guided tours, so we can get the outdoors portion done on a second day. For GS Way, our SU always has a huge Juliette Low Bday Party, and we want to make situpons to prepare for camping, as well as a troop banner for parades. We will also read the Brownie Story and discuss how it applies to us before we make our Kapers Chart very early in the year. The girls are very interested in GS songs, so I'm hoping to pick up a CD this summer to play at meetings so we can learn new songs each month. Oh-almost forgot...Snacks-the girls will be bringing in snacks on a rotating basis...this will be a combination troop/individual work badge, since they need to make a variety of snacks, but I'm going to ask them to bring in their recipes and a photo or 2 so we can make a troop cookbook to give out with their badges. Hopefully that will encourage more of them to do the "homework" portion.

I'm starting to plan for next year, too. Moving up to Brownies. There is NO WAY, we can do all of the badges in 2 years. I think we are just supposed to pick the ones the girls want to do and not try to do all of them. I do not like having girl scout homework. Most of them won't do it anyway. I do think that it is important to do at least one journey each age level, meaning I decided to do one for Brownies and not try to do one per year (or more). We are going to do Brownie Quest. I figured I can complete it in 5 meetings. Once they get to Juniors, they need to complete a Journey to earn the Bronze Award, so it is a good idea to get them used to doing Journeys.

I definitely want to do First Aid and Girl Scout Ways. We will start with these 2 because I also want to get the girls ready to go camping. And we will definitley do the Financial Literacy and Cookie Business badges each year.

I think most of the badges will take 2 or 3 meetings to complete all 5 steps, so there is no way we can do all of them. And actually some of them seem really hard to do at a troop meeting. It is like they are written for girls to do individually at home and I don't think any of them would like that - the whole idea of being a troop is to do things together as a troop. We will do a few field trips, but I hate to plan too many. People are busy and it is hard to find a date when everyone can go, so I just pick a date that is convenient for me and see how many particpate. I have a few girls that don't come to any events outside of regular meetings.

I do think Brownies are more serious than Daisies. For Daisies, we did a craft or an activity at each meeting and they earned a petal. I am ready to move up to Brownies - it will be challenging, but also fun. I would love to hear ideas about plans for completing the steps to earn badges.

Thanks.
Kelly:)

Had a super good planning meeting on Sunday with my two co-leaders :thumbsup2 We planned out the rest of the year and decided to send home four of the Brownie badges as optional summer work - Hiker, Letterboxing, Painting, and Bugs. We live in NE Wisconsin and at least three of those are basically impossible in the middle of winter!! I figure, I know my kids get bored sometime in the middle of summer, it's a good time to pull out some badgework and bring some fun into the summertime. No penalties for the girls who choose not to do it!

We just completed our First Aid badgework. Next meeting is Snacks. Then we'll be starting Fair Play, and the girls will earn their Celebrating Community badge by walking in the Memorial Day parade.

We're actually going to complete all the Legacy badges before next school year by breaking it down this way! I'm excited for next year - I have 11 re-registration forms already for my 17 Brownies, and four more coming that I'm aware of...just waiting to hear about one more, and the last one is undecided as to whether she's coming back (may be starting another activity next school year and her mom isn't sure if it's going to be too much for her).

I think next year we'll focus on the Brownie Quest (LOVE the "spy" idea - awesome!), a MYO anti-bullying badge, then the Money badges. This should bring us right into cookie season. We never did an investiture so we need to work that in.

And, I'm crazy enough to have volunteered to lead my DD5's Kindergarten Daisy troop next year, too :rotfl: I think I've lost my mind, but I am LOVING this!!!

Had a super good planning meeting on Sunday with my two co-leaders :thumbsup2 We planned out the rest of the year and decided to send home four of the Brownie badges as optional summer work - Hiker, Letterboxing, Painting, and Bugs. We live in NE Wisconsin and at least three of those are basically impossible in the middle of winter!! I figure, I know my kids get bored sometime in the middle of summer, it's a good time to pull out some badgework and bring some fun into the summertime. No penalties for the girls who choose not to do it!

We just completed our First Aid badgework. Next meeting is Snacks. Then we'll be starting Fair Play, and the girls will earn their Celebrating Community badge by walking in the Memorial Day parade.

We're actually going to complete all the Legacy badges before next school year by breaking it down this way! I'm excited for next year - I have 11 re-registration forms already for my 17 Brownies, and four more coming that I'm aware of...just waiting to hear about one more, and the last one is undecided as to whether she's coming back (may be starting another activity next school year and her mom isn't sure if it's going to be too much for her).

I think next year we'll focus on the Brownie Quest (LOVE the "spy" idea - awesome!), a MYO anti-bullying badge, then the Money badges. This should bring us right into cookie season. We never did an investiture so we need to work that in.

And, I'm crazy enough to have volunteered to lead my DD5's Kindergarten Daisy troop next year, too :rotfl: I think I've lost my mind, but I am LOVING this!!!

That all sounds great!

I like the spy idea too. Maybe we'll work that in next year.

You are so good to do your Kindy's troop, too. My co-leader and I both have 3yo girls so we figure we'll be doing the same thing, too! But I'm hoping that we can combine some of my older girl's meetings with the Daisy meetings to help out.

So, I've found a lot of examples of "try-it" work tracking sheets for at home work, but not a lot geared towards the new badge requirements set up...so, I though I'd give it a try...what do you think? Anything I should include that I left out? Anything that should be taken out? Ignore the formatting, I copied over to get it online, but the idea is there...

So, I've found a lot of examples of "try-it" work tracking sheets for at home work, but not a lot geared towards the new badge requirements set up...so, I though I'd give it a try...what do you think? Anything I should include that I left out? Anything that should be taken out? Ignore the formatting, I copied over to get it online, but the idea is there...

I like the concept but so far for Daisies we have just used the honor system. I send an email telling the moms what their girl must do to earn the patch, she does it, the mom confirms and then reports back to us at the meeting with a very brief report.

I think for next year since all the requirements are already in the Brownie Guide book, we'll just tell the parent/girl to read it, pick the 5 things to do and report back to us again briefly.

I just prefer to keep it low-key. We also only have 6 girls and all the moms except one are very active in the troop, so it's easier for us.

So far, we've earned petals as a troop...but we've grown from 6 to 8 to 10 girls, with at least 1 more wanting to join us as a Brownie; and we've already had a few misunderstandings about petals/makeups. My goal is to encourage the girls to share as they learn and earn (and hopefully encourage other girls to try a badge or two at home) and also avoid confusion as much as possible, while still keeping it relaxed and easy (for me as well as the girls/parents). Since most of the parents aren't planning to purchase the guide (I already got a lot of "we can just use yours, right?"s and "you should just make us copies" of the badge requirements from a few of the moms) so I'm hoping this will give the girls a way to have a written copy of the requirements without having to actually run off 11 copies of each booklet, lol....

I like the concept but so far for Daisies we have just used the honor system. I send an email telling the moms what their girl must do to earn the patch, she does it, the mom confirms and then reports back to us at the meeting with a very brief report.

I think for next year since all the requirements are already in the Brownie Guide book, we'll just tell the parent/girl to read it, pick the 5 things to do and report back to us again briefly.

I just prefer to keep it low-key. We also only have 6 girls and all the moms except one are very active in the troop, so it's easier for us.

We've been using the honor system as well and it's working so far. Our at-home badgework is shared at the beginning of the meeting, or is worked into the meeting somehow. For example, for the First Aid badge each girl chose a supply in our first aid kit and learned what it was for/why it was in there on her own. At the next meeting, we emptied the kit and, as we put each item back in, the girl responsible told us about it & what it's used for. Same with outdoir injuries - the girls chose 1 of 4 & then at the meeting we divided into groups and taught each other about them. So far it's working. This summer we are giving the girls four optional badges to complete if they choose, but they must prove to us (via pictures or journals) that the work was fully completed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter