Daily Fix Re: Hall of Presidents - No Politics Please

Not because our current president is someone who I abhor, but because our previous president was someone who others abhorred, and our next president may very well be offensive to a different group. The only way to keep everyone happy is to reserve the statements for non-controversial presidents.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Respectfullly, I am not sure how our past presidents appear so holy. I think the lack of controversy of past presidents is for lack of social media, television and constant microphones. A dozen or so were slave owners, I imagine for many their ideas on racial, gender and LGBT issues even if progressive for their time would seem so archaic by today's standard we would cringe. Then we have to eliminate all the adulterers or those accused of crimes. You could probably argue that none are fit to speak if you set up enough criteria.
Our presidents (all of them) are flawed, wildly human and they are regular people who found a path to public service. We will probably never elect another without known flaws thanks to the internet.
But I think it's part of what makes our democracy, and how well it's prospered despite their human failures so remarkable.

Last edited:
To be fair I think I went to Hall of Presidents once. I tend to get more out of the American Adventure or through listening to it Great Moments with Mr Lincoln

I don't see any need to change. A visitor who makes any vocal objection to the speaking president, is dishonoring themselves, not the animatronic. Political divide goes all the way back to the beginning of time. If it were 1860, Lincoln would have dissidents too. I'm all for diversity and tolerance and that belief shows in my actions, which is to honor the office.

@disneyland_is_magic well said. I think the lack of controversy comes with time. No one is without flaws of some sort, but with historical presidents many of the issues/controversies surrounding them are largely settled (in that there is nothing that can change them now). For example, Lincoln clearly had his detractors in his day (assassination/civil war and all), but I think you'd be hard pressed to find that many people that think he's a controversial figure now (at least in an angry yell at the animatronic and get taken out of their vacation kind of way).

Respectfullly, I am not sure how our past presidents appear so holy. I think the lack of controversy of past presidents is for lack of social media, television and constant microphones. A dozen or so were slave owners, I imagine for many their ideas on racial, gender and LGBT issues even if progressive for their time would seem so archaic by today's standard we would cringe. Then we have to eliminate all the adulterers or those accused of crimes. You could probably argue that none are fit to speak if you set up enough criteria.
Our presidents (all of them) are flawed, wildly human and they are regular people who found a path to public service. We will probably never elect another without known flaws thanks to the internet.
But I think it's part of what makes our democracy, and how well it's prospered despite their human failures so remarkable.

This is so true! I was commenting the other day to a friend that I could fairly predict the number of presidents that didn't have affairs. All of them had one issue or another.

ANOTHER GREAT COMPROMISE IDEA FROM KING LLAMA: "Hall of Vice-Presidents"
This is replacing Ellen's Energy. In fact the construction began 18 months ago, but no one noticed. Expected date for the grand opening is July 3rd 2022. Dan Quayle will narrate from "Aaron Burr to Dick Cheney and the six or seven others we remember" a 48 minute monotone look at who can stay awake the longest.

So here's my stance on it as Canadian from what I have herd been said about Bill Clinton, George W Bushes and Obama's speeches they were all written by a team consisting of Disney and the presidents speech writers. If Disney can't agree on a speech with Trump or he is unwilling to work with them they probably won't do it. Keep in mind it's still there park and they can do what they like with an attraction. Yes they may have set a pesident with having the last three presidents speak but it's also because they all agreed to work with Disney on their terms.

Slightly off topic but I was watching the "Saturday Stroll around the World Showcase" from the Dis today because I need to see some sun, any sun, and giggled when a woman yelled "There is the Hall of President's" when actually pointing at the American Adventure. So it is really going to affect that many guests? If it weren't for social media, who would have even noticed a change back to Lincoln?

I think Disney would be entitled to make any changes it would feel appropriate. For lack of a better comparison the bust of Bill Cosby in the courtyard of the stars was taken down as soon as he was accused of sexual assault (again I stress that's hardly the same thing as anything Trump has done).

How about having Trump take the oath of office, then have Lincoln give the last paragraph of his first inaugural address:

I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

Wow that really sums it all up. Trump is our current president and like it or not her deserves the respect of a speaking roll in the Hall. These posts and Petes words on the DIS daily Fix have been much needed in the world today. I'm proud to call myself a DISer.

I think Disney would be entitled to make any changes it would feel appropriate. For lack of a better comparison the bust of Bill Cosby in the courtyard of the stars was taken down as soon as he was accused of sexual assault (again I stress that's hardly the same thing as anything Trump has done).

I think the challenge is that if Trump is given the same role as the previous presidents then anti-Trump people will say he doesn't deserve it and if he is given less then pro-Trump people will say it isn't fair

I do trust in Disney to make the right call ... or at least the call that will be the least offensive

I think the challenge is that if Trump is given the same role as the previous presidents then anti-Trump people will say he doesn't deserve it and if he is given less then pro-Trump people will say it isn't fair

I do trust in Disney to make the right call ... or at least the call that will be the least offensive

Who care what anti trump people say he's the president...

You have a choice to either go to see it or not.

I support Trump having a full speaking role, not a word or two and a hand off to Lincoln, a celebrity or a Vice President. As Pete said he was legally and legitimately elected president.
I am struggling to understand people who now say they won't go any longer now that Trump is there like he is tarnishing the Hall on a moral issue. Does the hall not hold two impeached Presidents? Does it not hold twelve slave owners? The kidnapping, ownership, raping, horrible injustice it represents? The alcoholics, adulterers, homophobic, they are fine too.
But Trump gets elected and people don't think he is fit to be allowed to stand and SPEAK surrounded by the slave owners, adulterers, homophobics and criminals that are our other former presidents.....what?
ETA: to soften my tone, but I just don't think you can make it moral issue

Last edited:
(Edited: removed previous quote..didn't make as much sense here as it did in the other thread lol oops.)

This is just my opinion here for sure but was there this much noise and such for previous presidents speaking in the HoP? I'm not going into the political realm here but it makes you wonder why it seems (and perhaps it is just the voices are louder this time) all of a sudden this is an issue and why there is this "Disney should stay out of politics and not have them speak" train of thought ...maybe it's just people are making the connection in their minds that President speaks=politics, but even if that's your opinion (which is fine even though I don't agree with it) you should have had that opinion back when it was implemented 23 years ago.......not just now.

(Edited: removed previous quote..didn't make as much sense here as it did in the other thread lol oops.)

This is just my opinion here for sure but was there this much noise and such for previous presidents speaking in the HoP? I'm not going into the political realm here but it makes you wonder why it seems (and perhaps it is just the voices are louder this time) all of a sudden this is an issue and why there is this "Disney should stay out of politics and not have them speak" train of thought ...maybe it's just people are making the connection in their minds that President speaks=politics, but even if that's your opinion (which is fine even though I don't agree with it) you should have had that opinion back when it was implemented 23 years ago.......not just now.
I definitely agree with this whole thought process - not politically (as you stated), but purely timing wise.! Why now?

By the way - with all the (thankfully polite!!) discussion here, I do remember questioning the wisdom of having ANY sitting President speak, when it was done with Clinton. For me, the slippery slope I alluded to in a much earlier post in this thread started then, I just didn't remember thinking that until now.

I am also reminded of something I learned in Boot Camp 30 years ago, that also stood me in good stead during almost 29 years of working for a PD, that I think I've mentioned here before, but will repeat now. I was taught (and still believe) "You may not respect or believe in the PERSON, but you MUST and WILL respect the RANK".

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter