Daily contact lenses through airport security?

jackskellingtonsgirl

DIS Veteran
I have searched but the info is really old!

DS just started wearing daily contacts 4 days ago. We're going to WDW for 15 nights, and I don't know how to take the contacts through security. They are packaged in liquid. I read that we just put them in a bag similar to the quart bag and they will allow us to carry them through.

Is that right? :confused:

I put my contacts in the original package in my 3+1 bag. I've never had a problem getting them through security

Contacts and contact solution (of any reasonable size/quantity) do not have to go in the 3-1-1 bag, they are considered medical and the 3.4 oz rule does not apply. Now if you're trying to pass through a case of contact solution, that's a different story, but a general bottle or a typical supply of contacts wouldn't matter.

That said, it's wise to advise the TSA agent you have the items and set them out for inspection in the tray.

I plan to pack the big bottle of saline in the checked bag, so that won't be a problem.

The re-wetting drops can go in the 3-1-1 bag.

I was just not sure sure what to do with the blister packs of actual contacts. It sounds like putting them in a second quart bag will be fine. Thanks!

When we flew last month, dd put her actual blister packs of contacts in her 3-1-1 baggie. Of course, she has the 2 week ones, so she took an addtl 3 pr, not 7 or 8! She packed her saline/cleansing bottle in her checked luggage, with the small bottle of refresher in her 3-1-1 baggie as well.

It sounds like putting them in a second quart bag will be fine. Thanks!

You can only have one 3-1-1 bag per person - so if you mean having your DS take 2 quart size bags through, that isn't allowed. But if you or another person travelling doesn't have any 3-1-1 bags then you can send it through as yours.

You can only have one 3-1-1 bag per person - so if you mean having your DS take 2 quart size bags through, that isn't allowed. But if you or another person travelling doesn't have any 3-1-1 bags then you can send it through as yours.

You can only have one 3-1-1 bag...BUT you are allowed another bag w/ prescription items that is separate. This is where the previous poster suggested the contact lenses go.

A friend sent me the link from the TSA website that says you can take "medical" items through in a second bag or pouch. I don't think all 15 pairs of contacts will fit in his 3-1-1 bag.

You'll be fine with the blister packs in a second bag if needed - they're medical equipment. I've flown with a 3-1-1 bag and a small box of contact blisters severl times without a problem.

Why not just put a few pairs in the carry on and put the rest in the checked bag. We just put our in with all the liquids that go in the checked bags.

Why not just put a few pairs in the carry on and put the rest in the checked bag. We just put our in with all the liquids that go in the checked bags.

You should NEVER put prescriptions (and contact lenses are obtained w/ prescriptions) in checked luggage because it may be delayed or possibly never reach your destination.

I wouldn't want to have my daily disposable lenses lost with my luggage and not be able to use them during my vacation.

It is also a good idea for your glasses to be in your carry on and not in your checked luggage as well.

My contacts aren't daily ones. I always have the pair I am wearing and an extra one with me and then I put the other pair in the checked luggage. Never have had any problems and if for some reason the luggage doesn't make it and the something happens to the one I am wearing (plus the extra pair) I always have my prescription with me to get more.

I've traveled with contacts (not dailies) and solution several times in the past year. I was putting a extra set of contacts, re-wetting drops and a small bottle of solution (4oz) in a second small ziplock. I'd put it in the bin with my 3-1-1 bag, never had a problem with TSA saying you can't have two bags.

Just make sure you allow extra time for security. I have flown with my contacts and full size saline and cleanser in my carry-on several times. I put them in a separate gallon sized ziplock back (I use a special cleaner that until recently only came in 12oz sizes). I put the bag into the tray with my 3-1-1 bag and send it through the scanner. Usually the TSA agents stop the scanner and look more closely at my tray. At least twice they have pulled out the bottle and done a chemical check on it with little strips of litmus type paper. No big deal, and I was sent along my way.

Kim

my DH wears the daily contacts and all this time we've been dividing them up between our bags:headache:, never knew you could have a sep one for contacts/meds:dance3:TU!

We'll definitely have his glasses in his carry-on. I just feel weird about putting the contacts in the checked bags. Saline, fine, no problem. If it gets stolen we'll figure out how to have some delivered to the resort. Having to figure out how to have actual contact lenses delivered to the resort is more adventure than I am looking for. :rotfl2:

We will put the contacts in a second Ziploc bag, and I'll report back to let you guys know how it goes! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter