Dad Broke Foot/Electric Wheelchair Question's

Trollingforthimbles

Mouseketeer
So, a few days ago my dad broke his heel, but we're still coming. They put him in a hard cast and gave him some crutches.

He's going to need a motorized chair. Do I call in and tell them to note our reservation, or is this something we take care of when entering each park?

So, a few days ago my dad broke his heel, but we're still coming. They put him in a hard cast and gave him some crutches.

He's going to need a motorized chair. Do I call in and tell them to note our reservation, or is this something we take care of when entering each park?

I'd call one of the offsite mobile rental places, my wife loved using Randy's Mobility

Get a knee walker, both for at WDW AND for at home during his recovery. I fractured my ankle this summer and used one and it's tons better than crutches and a lot less hassle then a wheel chair or other such motorized contraption. :thumbsup2

If by "provide" you mean they have wheelchairs and ECV's available to rent in the parks then-yes.
They rent them at each park, limited quantities and no guarantee there will be one for rent when you arrive.
Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread (or look near the top of this board.
Post 2 of that thread has information about renting at the parks and from off-site places.

You can rent both wheelchairs and ECVs (scooters) at each park. They are first-come first-served, and they cannot be reserved ahead of time. If he must have a scooter or wheelchair, you should rent from an off-site company. You can find companies listed in the FAQs at the top of the page.

Renting off-site is the only way to guarantee ECV or wheelchair availability. It is also much less expensive, especially if you are renting for a week. They often have last-minute availability, so you can call today to rent one. You can ask the rental company if they have a crutches holder they can attach to the wheelchair or ECV.

I suggest renting an ECV, which will allow him independence and keep other members of the family from having to push the wheelchair all day. All ECVs rented by the off-site companies fit on the buses, and many can be taken apart to fit in the trunk of rental cars. Once he parks it one a bus, he transfers to a regular seat while the ECV is strapped down.

Off-site rental ECVs are generally smaller and easier to drive, as well as being available at the resorts, water parks, and DTD. The last time I stayed in a Disney resort, it was a mile round-trip walk to the pool, and a half-mile of walking to get to the food court.

If he has difficulty with awareness, attentiveness, or reflexes (I am unsure of the age of the person we are talking about), or vision, then he should probably use a wheelchair and have someone push him. You have to be constantly aware when driving an ECV, moreso than when walking. Still, most people prefer the independence of an ECV to a wheelchair.

An ECV or wheelchair will fit in any hotel room - no need to request a special room, so long as he can step into a tub. You can request a shower chair, if he needs to sit in the shower, at any hotel.

He can take the ECV into almost every queue in the park. There are a few in MK that are not accessible, and your party will be directed to the accessible entrance.

As someone else suggested, there are also Knee Walkers, which are essentially a scooter that sits under the knee of the broken foot, and the person "scoots" that leg along, walking with the other. These are small, light weight, and have no electric or power components.

You said he needed an Electric Wheelchair. I assume you meant an ECV. An ECV is what you see in Target or grocery stores - the seat that is driven with a tiller in front, like a bicycle. Speed is usually pre-set to a desired level, and then a button/lever on the tiller is pushed with the hand/thumb to accelerate. To stop, simply stop pushing the lever. There are a variety of sizes available, depending on the weight of the person using it. They come is 3 and 4 wheel varieties. 3-wheel ECVs have a smaller turning radius. 4-wheel ECVs provide a little better side-to-side balance and feel a little steadier.

An Electric Wheelchair is a seat with a joystick attached usually to an armrest. A person controls direction, speed, accelerations, and stopping all with the joystick. It is not as easy to drive as an ECV, and they are not usually available for rental unless the person has one at home and does not want to travel with it. They generally do not come apart, weigh more (mine is over 300 lbs) and require special vehicle modifications to transport. Orlando rental companies usually only will rent one to a person who has one at home. When I rented one, they asked what model I had at home, to make sure it was a powerchair and not an ECV.

So, I suggest you call one of the companies listed above and rent an ECV. lf you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask!

You said he needed an Electric Wheelchair. I assume you meant an ECV. An ECV is what you see in Target or grocery stores - the seat that is driven with a tiller in front, like a bicycle. Speed is usually pre-set to a desired level, and then a button/lever on the tiller is pushed with the hand/thumb to accelerate. To stop, simply stop pushing the lever. There are a variety of sizes available, depending on the weight of the person using it. They come is 3 and 4 wheel varieties. 3-wheel ECVs have a smaller turning radius. 4-wheel ECVs provide a little better side-to-side balance and feel a little steadier.

An Electric Wheelchair is a seat with a joystick attached usually to an armrest. A person controls direction, speed, accelerations, and stopping all with the joystick. It is not as easy to drive as an ECV, and they are not usually available for rental unless the person has one at home and does not want to travel with it. They generally do not come apart, weigh more (mine is over 300 lbs) and require special vehicle modifications to transport. Orlando rental companies usually only will rent one to a person who has one at home. When I rented one, they asked what model I had at home, to make sure it was a powerchair and not an ECV.

I caught the same thing in the OP's post. No way would I rent or allow a family member to rent an electric wheelchair, if they had never driven one before. I didn't realize how much harder an electric wheelchair was to drive than an ECV, until a couple years ago. Both my father in law and my mother in law qualified for an electric wheelchair and each got one. My M-I-L sent hers back after using it for less than two weeks. She just couldn't get the hang of it. My F-I-L kept his, but they had huge scrapes/dents in their walls and baseboards where he ran into them. When he died June 2012, my M-I-L didn't want to keep the electric wheelchair in their home, so offered it to my mom. My mom (who lives with me) always uses an ECV in any store we go into and also uses one at WDW, so is very experienced driving an ECV and does really well on one. She thought she would have no problem learning to use the electric wheelchair. Boy was she wrong!:rotfl: The thing now sits plugged in, in our spare bedroom. It moves so much quicker, is so much more sensitive, and turns so sharply that she's terrified of it. We too have a few dents in our walls from when she was trying to learn to drive it.:rotfl: She swears an ECV is so much easier to drive than "that dang electric chair".

Get a knee walker, both for at WDW AND for at home during his recovery. I fractured my ankle this summer and used one and it's tons better than crutches and a lot less hassle then a wheel chair or other such motorized contraption. :thumbsup2

I would not recommend a knee walker for Disney I have one for around the house but there is no way I could go 10 or 12 miles a day in Disney. I tried it at a Mall once and was in pain after an hour it puts a lot of pressure on your knee and hip. ECV from an outside vendor is the way to go

Knee walker will wear you out in a very short time with all the walking involved. ECV is the way to go, and outside vendors would be recommended due to possible availability issues with in-park rentals.
I've used Walker Mobility for years and highly recommend them.
Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter