D23 Expo

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
For those of you in the know about the D23 Expos, how often are they? Every year? And they always in California? My husband went to Comic Con this year after many, many years of wanting to go to one. He's now thinking D23 may be more to his liking. Also would like to know when are the dates released and if there are any DVC discounts to be had for this. TIA!

Odd years; this year is the 3rd occurrence. Yes, so far -- always in California. Dates are released more than year out ... this year offered early bird ticket discounts. I don't recall a DVC discount?

Link: https://d23.com/d23-expo/

For those of you in the know about the D23 Expos, how often are they? Every year? And they always in California? My husband went to Comic Con this year after many, many years of wanting to go to one. He's now thinking D23 may be more to his liking. Also would like to know when are the dates released and if there are any DVC discounts to be had for this. TIA!
The only discounts were early-bird ticket and D23 member ticket discounts.

Thanks! Anyone ever attend a D23 Expo? Is it worth going or a lot of hype over not so much? How crowded is it? As I mentioned before, my husband went to Comic Con for the first time last week. Something he's always wanted to do. Though he was glad he got to go, he thought it was going to be "better." It's impossible to see the celebrity panels like the Hunger Games stars. People line up and sleep there days in advance. You stand in line for hours for a CHANCE to get a ticket to win a lego product that you still have to purchase. There were over 130,000 people there to say it was crowded is an understatement. Husband thinking D23 may more be his speed, especially if it's less crowded.

Thanks! Anyone ever attend a D23 Expo? Is it worth going or a lot of hype over not so much? How crowded is it? As I mentioned before, my husband went to Comic Con for the first time last week. Something he's always wanted to do. Though he was glad he got to go, he thought it was going to be "better." It's impossible to see the celebrity panels like the Hunger Games stars. People line up and sleep there days in advance. You stand in line for hours for a CHANCE to get a ticket to win a lego product that you still have to purchase. There were over 130,000 people there to say it was crowded is an understatement. Husband thinking D23 may more be his speed, especially if it's less crowded.
I'm going to my first Expo next month. It's supposedly less crowded than SDCC, but not remarkably so. You will wait in line for hours for presentations, you'll wait in long lines for shopping, presentations, exhibits.

Odd years; this year is the 3rd occurrence. Yes, so far -- always in California. Dates are released more than year out ... this year offered early bird ticket discounts. I don't recall a DVC discount?

Link: https://d23.com/d23-expo/

One correction: This year is actually the fourth D23 Expo.

I don't recall any DVC discounts either. There's usually an early bird discount but those are long gone for 2015. Assuming they hold true to form, dates for the next expo will probably be announced as this year's is winding down.

I can't talk attendance but he would probably have a similar experience at the Expo. I attended the first 3 and will limit my comments to the last one (2013) since it is probably the most representative of what the future will bring.

First, it took us 2 hours just to get into the building. Seemingly miles and miles of makeshift masking tape queues outside the convention center. Like Comic Con, panels with any chance of celebrity appearance will be filled to capacity long before they occur. People won't queue-up days in advance, but you pretty much need to sleep out the night before to have a chance at the Disney film/movie presentation.

The arena theme parks session was the one must-do for me. I would always get in line 2-3 hours ahead and be OK for that one. If Disney is going to announce any major additions to the parks this year (like Star Wars at Hollywood Studios), that's when it will happen.

The smaller (non-arena) theme park sessions were much more manageable...especially in 2013. They introduced a sort of fastpass system which allowed attendees to reserve a spot in a session long before it occurred and without having to spend hours sitting on the floor waiting. As long as you had your reserved spot, you just had to show up something like 30-45 minutes ahead. (Although seating was general admission so the later you arrive, further back you are in the room.) My wife had no trouble getting into a session on Disneyland history hosted by Tony Baxter. I went to a session on Aulani hosted by Joe Rohde.

Anything to do with animation tends to be popular. Cruise line sessions are popular. Again, celebrity sessions (like Disney Van Dyke) are popular.

If you're there to buy any limited-edition collectible merchandise, those things can be a nightmare.

That's pretty much the ugly part.

There will be a large theme parks pavilion with scale models, concept artwork and other behind-the-scenes details unlike anything you'll see elsewhere. Many of Disney's merchandising partners will have booths, many with free giveaway items. There will be a museum with costumes and props from Disney history. There will be vendor booths hosted by websites, artists, collectors, etc. There will be shops where you can purchase official Disney merchandise which is not available anywhere else (I'm not talking about gaudy D23 stuff, rather items which are normally available only to Disney employees.)

I wouldn't recommend going strictly as a film or TV fan looking to see stars. If you want to be in the same room with Mark Hammil, Robert Downey Jr or John Lassiter, the experience probably will be similar to Comic Con. But anyone who is a fan of all things Disney will find a lot to like. Just make sure you look at the agenda ahead of time, prioritize the sessions which are most important and fill-in with exhibits on the open show floor whenever you have free time. And be prepared to wait in a few lines.

We attended '09, '11 and '13 and have tickets for '15. It is pretty insane. Yes, few people than ComicCon -- but also a smaller venue. Expect lines for everything. You won't be able to attend a panel every session as you'll be in line for a later session while another desirable session is taking place. Set your priorities and work those priorities.

Personally, I find the event very frustrating. I have to take a "time out" and walk away for awhile. After three days of Expo, I'm ready to leave planet Earth. Yet, I allow my husband to drag me again ... and will try, try, try to not have a total breakdown. I'll set my thresholds lower than ever ... and hope to do/see "1" thing from my list.

Last edited:

One correction: This year is actually the fourth D23 Expo.
Oh, my -- right you are! When I read the Wiki page with the breakdown from past years I remembered all the "celebrity appearances" from 2009 but thought they were the 2011 event. I then went back to review my past reservation history and confirmed a Worldmark Dolphin's Cove for the 'right weekend' in Sept 2009. Wild. How time flies.

Oh, my -- right you are! When I read the Wiki page with the breakdown from past years I remembered all the "celebrity appearances" from 2009 but thought they were the 2011 event. I then went back to review my past reservation history and confirmed a Worldmark Dolphin's Cove for the 'right weekend' in Sept 2009. Wild. How time flies.

Oh, how I long for those 2009 crowds. Back when you could walk right in the convention center doors without any wait, and bloggers were gleeful over Disney (seemingly) miscalculating the demand for such an event.

It all changed when Johnny Depp (and John Travolta, and Miley Cyrus, and Nicholas Cage) stepped out onto that stage. And the entire cast of The Avengers was a pretty good follow-up in 2011. lol

I was there in 2011 & 2013 and will be there next month! Can't wait! The hardest part is lining up early to get in, like 6:00am. I enjoyed the studio sessions, showing clips from upcoming movies, especially with John Lassiter, he is so interesting to listen to. Last time Angelina Jolie was there, plus Idina Menzel debuted Let it Go. They didn't have a parks & resorts session last time, but will next month (DHS announcement?). In 2011 they had the story of the creation of the DCA renovation and the new Star Tours.

We get there on Sunday and enjoy the parks or local attractions Sunday to Thursday. In 2011 & 2013 we flew home on redeyes (my friend is from another state) and that was difficult after a long day on Sunday. This year I'm staying over at the LAX Hilton (love those Hilton points!) and getting a flight on Monday morning.

Awww - I'm sad to hear that your husband did not have a great time at Comic Con. I've never been to the San Diego one although have thought of it but been a bit scared off by the crowds but have enjoyed a couple "conventions" in the past - perhaps he might want to look at a smaller one like the Wizard World ones? We went to one of those last year and had a great day.

2013 was the first one I went too and it was completely worth it! It's definitely a bummer you can't go this year! :(

Will I be able to get in to the Disney Studios Movie/Film Hall presentation if I get in line at 6AM or is that a lost cause if you don't wait in line overnight?

Will I be able to get in to the Disney Studios Movie/Film Hall presentation if I get in line at 6AM or is that a lost cause if you don't wait in line overnight?

Depends on how many Star Wars fans show up, thinking there may be a live appearance by the Big 3. (Or a new trailer...or some other one-of-a-kind event.)

Star Wars is the main reason I'm skipping the Expo this time. With all of the hype surrounding the new film...and the possibility of some big Star Wars reveal for the theme parks...I think the crowds are going to be bonkers. This time around, I'm content to live vicariously through other people's YouTube videos. ;)

Is it unreasonable to assume attending both the Studio Hall presentation and Theme Park Hall presentation on Saturday?

Is it unreasonable to assume attending both the Studio Hall presentation and Theme Park Hall presentation on Saturday?

Probably. It's best to prioritize what you most want to see and focus on that rather than try to force everything in. That only causes disappointment and then you end up having a stressful time, which was our mistake in 2011. In 2013 we chose the panels we absolutely had to see, made sure to get in line for those, and were content catching up with what we missed via Twitter. It's still cool because it's all happening around you. This will be my 3rd Expo and I can't contain my excitement.

As it turned out -- many did both! Of these two, we did only the Theme Park presentation but watched the line for Theme Parks flood with folks exiting the Studio Presentation with movie posters in their hands.

Did anyone here use the Charter Lounge? I'm not sure I follow the logic of allowing ONLY the named card member to enter w/out their spouse. We were told that I was not permitted as our membership was simply "Gold" and not "Gold FAMILY." Was the "Gold FAMILY" membership type an option during the first year of membership sales? I watched plenty of angry responses to Disney's new gesture of "good will towards loyal, paying customers."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter