D23 EXPO THREAD - See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were there and caught a great rate before they adjusted for the convention (we booked hotel as soon as dates were known). Once we got tickets and solidified plans we called to drop 1 day. To drop the day they said we had to take the readjustment which put the prices at the same or more then Disneyland hotel. We decided we'd rather spend the money at Disneyland Hotel finally then deal with Hilton since they would only put a note on our account that we would be checking in online but not physically present until the next day. Paying for the extra night was going to be cheaper then dropping it which fine I get a lot of hotels are doing this now that any changes make you agree to the adjusted price but it is frustrating.
While I saw the initial lower rates at the Hilton, I failed to book before they were adjusted way upward. The online check in at the Hilton is quite nice, allowing specific rooms to be selected -- can't say what happens if you don't arrive until the next day.

The Hilton does not have a discounted D23 rate, so I booked the Marriott. When booked a year ago, the D23 rate ($233/night) was much lower than booking directly. Adjusting dates a few months ago was easy through the D23 site (convention housing). A few weeks ago I tried to add a day, but the reservation was already transferred from the D23 site to the Marriott -- calling the hotel directly, they added a day (a separate reservation linked to the D23 reservation) at a slightly lower rate.

While I saw the initial lower rates at the Hilton, I failed to book before they were adjusted way upward. The online check in at the Hilton is quite nice, allowing specific rooms to be selected -- can't say what happens if you don't arrive until the next day.

The Hilton does not have a discounted D23 rate, so I booked the Marriott. When booked a year ago, the D23 rate ($233/night) was much lower than booking directly. Adjusting dates a few months ago was easy through the D23 site (convention housing). A few weeks ago I tried to add a day, but the reservation was already transferred from the D23 site to the Marriott -- calling the hotel directly, they added a day (a separate reservation linked to the D23 reservation) at a slightly lower rate.

Yeah we ended up at Disneyland Hotel since it has been on fiance's list for awhile. I secretly thought we would always end up there haha. I looked at the Mariott but by the time the Hilton drama happened it wasn't available from convention housing any more.

We're actually going from the Disneyland Hotel Sunday through Thursday to the Hilton for the duration of the Con ... trading stupidly expensive for plain old expensive. This is a big blowout trip for us, so I gave up worrying about the expense about 6 months ago.

My Dad and I are using Hilton Honor points and staying at the Double Tree - Convention Center. We got a 5th night free doing it that way since we are spending 2 days prior at Disneyland. The prices were not that bad either. I'm the only one attending the expo though. It should be about a 15 minute walk for me each morning.

k im a total d23 Expo Newbie. I am only going to attend on Sunday. Since I just purchased I will be getting my ticket at will call. Is this going to seriously impact me as far as lining up for other things in the morning on Sunday? Is will-call efficient? I have no problem getting there at the earliest possible time on Sunday (since they said no camping out saturday night..).

Last edited:
@NewsieJenny If you can get to Will Call before Sunday, you can pick up your credential and not have to do it Sunday morning.

Will Call hours of operation are as follows:
Thursday, July 13, 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Friday, July 14 – Saturday, July 15: 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, July 16, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

I know for the overnight lines that you do need the credential before getting into line, I'm not sure about Sunday's line...but it stands to reason that you MAY need it before they allow you to the end of line, even with it not being overnight line-up. Technically the line-up for Sunday starts at 6am.

Last edited:
Question from a first timer....I was looking at the schedule and on the first day there aren't any big sessions I want to go to until 3:30. So I thought I would do the floor and maybe do some shopping at Mickey's of Glendale, so I should I do the overnight thing? Or arrive by about 6 am? I don't mind getting there early but if I don't need to be then I wouldn't mind arriving later either.

Question from a first timer....I was looking at the schedule and on the first day there aren't any big sessions I want to go to until 3:30. So I thought I would do the floor and maybe do some shopping at Mickey's of Glendale, so I should I do the overnight thing? Or arrive by about 6 am? I don't mind getting there early but if I don't need to be then I wouldn't mind arriving later either.
To me that is a no brainer - arrive at 6AM. Overnight will not get you much if anything.

:wizard:

So since camping out isn't allowed for Sunday....what time realistically do people start arriving if lining up "starts at 6am".. (I'm the kind of person who wants to be def there as early as possible, etc .. also goin alone)

ALso are there separate lines for d23 gold or just one big line for everything? (First expo and only going sunday).

Another question.. if I only go on Sunday, is merch pretty Picked over or do they restock? Trying to pick only one store to attempt and am leaning toward mickeys of Glendale..(. unless I should do something else .!? )TIA

So since camping out isn't allowed for Sunday....what time realistically do people start arriving if lining up "starts at 6am".. (I'm the kind of person who wants to be def there as early as possible, etc .. also goin alone)

ALso are there separate lines for d23 gold or just one big line for everything? (First expo and only going sunday).

Another question.. if I only go on Sunday, is merch pretty Picked over or do they restock? Trying to pick only one store to attempt and am leaning toward mickeys of Glendale..(. unless I should do something else .!? )TIA
It is not that camping is not allowed. It is that it will not be accommodated inside in Hall E. So overnight people can spend it outside on the sidewalk.

The overnight is most popular on Thursday and Friday nights because Friday day and Saturday day have the big events (animation and live action films, and parks & resorts). And Friday is the first day and crowds are huge. There is nothing near that popular on Sunday though. Plus lots of folks start to bug out early on Sunday. Bottom line is that a 6AM arrival should be fine for queuing.

:wizard:

k im a total d23 Expo Newbie. I am only going to attend on Sunday. Since I just purchased I will be getting my ticket at will call. Is this going to seriously impact me as far as lining up for other things in the morning on Sunday? Is will-call efficient? I have no problem getting there at the earliest possible time on Sunday (since they said no camping out saturday night..).

I would highly recommend picking up your tickets on Thursday if you can. This will give you peace of mind and you will not have to worry about going through will-call for your tickets before going into the actual expo. Friday & Saturday are doable as well but the convention center will already be busy from the activities of each day, especially with Saturday tickets now being sold out.

To enter the expo floor it will all be one big line. For panels, there is 'Gold Priority Seating' which was introduced for this years expo and how it is being handled is yet to be seen.

Which store to hit first is your personal preference, Mickeys of Glendale is focused on Imagineering merchandise so if that's what you're looking for then definitely hit it first. They are usually good with stock levels;however, some of the more exclusive or Limited Edition merchandise will have surely sold out by Sunday.

Last edited:
I wonder since will call is open Thursday if our complentary lanyards and the program book will be available to pick up also.

@capkincaid We've had varying degrees of success with the lanyards/books early.

In 2013, we got the books and the holders on Thursday, but the lanyards themselves were held back until you were in line.

In 2015, due to the trading cards, nothing was distributed prior to the start of the event. We were handed those as we walked in, for us in Hall E early Friday morning.

The lanyards have been boring and cheesy in the past, I bring my own.

Last time, we tried to pick up the lanyards and program book on Thursday, but were told that we would have to wait until Friday. In 2013, we were able to pick up the book on Thursday.

Well, I've got my plane tickets. Got my hotel reservation. Got my DL tickets. Got my expo pass. Got my Fantasmic dining package this morning. Have my must see panels picked out. Got my one day cosplay ready (pirate Ariel to go with my bf as Jack Sparrow).

Looks like I'm just waiting on the app :)

Oh, and I need to start to pack and decide which couple of my 5,000 Disney/Star Wars themed shirts I'm wearing.

@wilkeliza Right? Ha! We got two sets, the first was addressed to us and had nothing else (including the merchandise total, it was blank), the second was generic to the Sorcerer guest.

Totally builds my confidence. Snicker.

Well, I've got my plane tickets. Got my hotel reservation. Got my DL tickets. Got my expo pass. Got my Fantasmic dining package this morning. Have my must see panels picked out. Got my one day cosplay ready (pirate Ariel to go with my bf as Jack Sparrow).

Looks like I'm just waiting on the app :)

Oh, and I need to start to pack and decide which couple of my 5,000 Disney/Star Wars themed shirts I'm wearing.

Fantastic dining package??

ETA: nvm...

Last edited:
So...to Disneybound or not to Disneybound? I'm dying trying to decide what to pack since we're a week out. On the one hand, I have a couple of awesome Star Wars 'bounds, a Snow White, and maybe a Merida or Anna from the 60th party I can still scrounge up, but on the other hand, I'd be more comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter