• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After a third morning of googling through several blogs and articles falsely claiming to list prices for droid parts, I'm asking again for any information. Blasters? Personality chips? One blog said a properly outfitted droid would be more like "$200-300." Sound accurate? All I know now is $40 backpack, $100 basic build.
Color question: one Instagram account showed a BB unit that was definitely in the bright pink-purple color family. I haven't seen that color in any other photos, though. Anything in that color range that will make my DD want her own, separate from a family unit? 😉
Oops another question, sorry if this shows my Star Wars ignorance, but what types of personality chips are there? Like what do they make them do?
There are a bunch of them. They range from light side to dark side to neutral.
So, a decent unit costs less than I feared, but now I have to get two, one for my son's and one for my daughter. 😋
Decent real-person demo video of a BB unit in action where you can see the color against a brightly lit, white background. The color is very grape Kool-Aid.
Some info about personality chips: they are $12.99 each. Discounts apply to these.

There are 6 options. 2 each of Resistance, First Order, or Smuggler. They are different colors. A display is located on the wall under the chips where you can hear the different sounds and identify which one you want. There is also a sticker on the back which identifies which faction.

The chip gives different sounds and also how the droids interact with the locations in the land-like being excited or scared.

For the BB units, you install the chips by twisting the base apart and clicking it into the motor housing. Make sure to turn on and off again with a switch on the other side of the housing.

The purple droid is definitely purple, but in the bright sunlight, can be pinker (these photos are in my living room, which doesn’t have the best light)

This is BB-531:
1B48168C-A268-42FB-A8F2-50D9670537BE.jpeg E06275FD-1F8B-4B7B-9DE6-432773EA690F.jpeg 7729FAAF-09F4-4840-B686-39E0DA46D6BD.jpeg 85F0DE6C-0A6D-4CA4-94DF-0211ED4E9C76.jpeg

Video with original sounds

And chip sounds:

I haven't been to Galaxy's Edge yet, but have some experience with high end replica lightsabers. It's not that a 7 year old is too young, it's more that Savi's is a very expensive experience that may not be right for a child.

In April 2017, I bought the Skywalker replica (Anakin in the prequels, Luke in the original trilogy, and Rey in the sequel trilogy) lightsaber at Walt Disney World that was around $175. It's a metallic hilt with a detachable LED blade. The description of the lightsabers sold in Savi's are nearly identical to the one I purchased at Disney World and they are $200. For lack of a better word, this is not a toy lightsaber to play with. The box that mine came in says 8+ as the age range. Honestly, I only let my nephews even touch this lightsaber under my supervision and only after they've regularly demonstrated the maturity to me that they respect items belonging to other people and realize that it's a privilege to play with this lightsaber as opposed to a right. Most of the time when I play Star Wars with my nephews, we use plastic lightsabers and have a great time.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here to not allow a child to do the build your own lightsaber experience. I just hope that people understand that the $200 price point is because we are talking about a high end prop replica that may not be right for a child or may be more than a parent wants to spend. As @Gaugersaurus said, there is a build your own lightsaber station in Tomorrowland that is perfect for children.

I think the prices on these build your own in Tomorrowland are around $30. The children select their blade color and the pieces they want to use on the hilt. They can also use multiple colors if they choose the right kind of hilt (such as Kylo Ren or Darth Maul). There are also plenty of other non movie plastic hilts available for children to choose from. They light up if you purchase batteries for them as well.

Obviously, the ones sold in Savi's look incredible and much more movie real than the toy ones sold in Tomorrowland, but to get that level of realism means paying a lot more. The build your own outside Star Tours is also a hands on experience where gift shop CMs assist the children. And it can be done in 5-10 minutes as opposed to the hours that people are waiting to build one in Savi's. As an adult collector, I am excited to have the experience in Savi's. But if I were buying lightsabers for my nephews, we're going to Tomorrowland. Maybe if they still love Star Wars in 10-15 years, they can build their own in Savi's with me but given how quickly children's interests can change, they get plastic toy ones for now. Of all the toys that I played with in childhood, only Star Wars still remains a part of my life today.

Or seeing the very well done Transformers ride and walk around Transformers in Universal is nostalgic. But Galaxy's Edge will be a dream fulfilled from childhood. Both are well done, but only one still has meaning to me.
Thanks. I don't know anything about light sabers, but reading how it is, it sounded like an older kids/adult thing to do. He likes building things, and heard you can build one in a shop, so she was wondering if it would be wise to spend $200 for a 7 year old. I will tell her.

Some info about personality chips: they are $12.99 each. Discounts apply to these.

There are 6 options. 2 each of Resistance, First Order, or Smuggler. They are different colors. A display is located on the wall under the chips where you can hear the different sounds and identify which one you want. There is also a sticker on the back which identifies which faction.

The chip gives different sounds and also how the droids interact with the locations in the land-like being excited or scared.

For the BB units, you install the chips by twisting the base apart and clicking it into the motor housing. Make sure to turn on and off again with a switch on the other side of the housing.

The purple droid is definitely purple, but in the bright sunlight, can be pinker (these photos are in my living room, which doesn’t have the best light)

This is BB-531:
View attachment 405864 View attachment 405865 View attachment 405862 View attachment 405863

Video with original sounds

And chip sounds:
Ah! How cute!!

When the details of SW:GE were announced, it was widely reported that guests would build a "reputation" in the land - that crashing the Millenium Falcon would impact on the way Cast Members reacted to you, etc.

Has any of that panned out? If so, how does it work?
I could see that working in WDW because of the magic bands, but I don’t think that would work in DL.

Thanks. I don't know anything about light sabers, but reading how it is, it sounded like an older kids/adult thing to do. He likes building things, and heard you can build one in a shop, so she was wondering if it would be wise to spend $200 for a 7 year old. I will tell her.
You're welcome. Honestly, for a 7 year old, I think he'll have a great time building his own toy lightsaber in Tomorrowland. Maybe it won't be quite the same as in Galaxy's Edge, but he can play with as rough as he wants to and his mom will not have to cringe every time she sees him whack that thing against a tree or drop it onto the floor. Hopefully he will not follow my example and thrust it into the light fixture in the family room. After that one, I was banned from playing with lightsabers indoors.

Here's a better example of what I was trying to say above.

The link below is to the Deluxe Rey lightsaber sold at the parks that is most similar to the lightsabers sold at Savi's. This one retails for $170.

https://www.shopdisney.com/rey-delu...VGLvsCh0heQSuEAQYASABEgJNyvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
If you zoom in on the pictures, you can clearly see the difference in the materials and the quality of them.

This link is to a toy Rey lightsaber that can also be purchased in the parks.

https://www.shopdisney.com/rey-ligh...Q4OTUwOTAwNTUxEAIaAklWIg1kZWZhdWx0X21vZGVsKAA
Honestly, it looks pretty good. Certainly much more realistic than the lightsabers I played with as child. But from the pictures alone, you can see that it is not even close to the same quality as the one I linked to above.

Both lightsabers are the "same." Same blade color, same character, same hilt design. But they use very different materials.

I could see that working in WDW because of the magic bands, but I don’t think that would work in DL.
I think some of that will get worked out in Disneyland as well. They can probably link it with the play Disney parks app. Sounds like some of the interactive effect will be what the hallway of Falcon looks like after your turn piloting the ship depending on what happens.

I also believe that some of what they're talking about isn't coming until the crowds we've seen this weekend are the norm without Disney having to restrict how many people they allow in the area.

Last edited:
A
So I guess we won't really know how it'll be later on until a week passes, but how has rope drop been for the park outside of SWGE? What time have you guys arrived for rope drop and how many rides have you gotten done in the typical "short line morning" period?

Also does spending 11:30am-2pm in SWGE sound like enough time out of a 11am-3pm reservation? We're interested only in the C3PO at droid depot, some of the merchandise in stores (toymaker store specifically, but other stores as well that we might wander into), blue milk, and the ride. Right now I have us using mobile ordering to get blue milk once we enter, doing some shopping, hopping on the Falcon ride single rider (but standby if wait is short enough), then heading out at 2pm-ish for a lunch reservation.
Are you the only one riding SR? Because I don’t think they will allow a 3-year-old to go in the single rider line FYI.

Via the app you do get points towards different factions. The points are via the jobs you complete and locations you hack. Maybe they will be able to use that more eventually.

(I don’t have many credits because I didn’t remember to have it open during my 10 times riding Smugglers! Argh!)
662CFF0D-77BE-494A-A1A3-7F272D2F8F1E.png

I don't think I'm senior enough to start a mega thread, lol, but would those who have visited SWGE be able to review their food, drink, and snack choices here? Looking at the menu and YouTube videos, it looks like there are so many interesting options not seen at other Disney locations. So I thought this could be fun (and help us latecomers decide what to try!). At a minimum, post:

1. Where you ate/snacked/drank
2. What you had
3. Whether you would order it again

Bonus credits go to anyone describing what the food or drink was like, and/or posting photos 🥣
Got into Oga's Cantina. Didn't feel like ordering alcohol at 8am so the drinks were non-alcoholic.

Blue Bantha (Blue Milk topped with a Sugar Cookie) (left)
This is the same flavor profile as the Blue Milk served at the Milk Stand except it's a more milky consistency whereas the one at the stand is more of a slushie. The viscosity is thicker than dairy milk so I can see why some might find that off-putting. It reminded me of a yogurt drink with a bit of tartness to it that I quite liked, but I actually preferred the flavor of the green milk if I had to choose one.

Carbon Freeze (Lemon Lime and Strawberry with Green Apple Popping Pearls) (right)
The bubbling popping pearls will make this drink a hit with kids (and Instagrammers). It was sweet, but not cloyingly so. I'd definitely recommend it to adults not looking to imbibe.

Oga's Obsession (Lemonade, Cotton Candy Flavor, and Blueberry Popping Pearls)
This is like teal jello with popping pearls in a petri-like dish. It's on the sweet side so it would be perfect for kids. It's darker colored in person than in the promotional photos, so my picture didn't come out as it looked almost black in the low Cantina light.

Batuu Bits (Snack Mix) (below)
This "galactic snack mix" is actually just an assortment of Asian snacks. There was wasabi-flavored fried nori (seaweed) and peas, arare (Japanese rice crackers), and crispy rice balls. I would totally order this again, but none of these items were exotic to me personally. If you are not familiar with Asian snacks or have picky eaters in your group, this may not be for them.

Last edited:
Did anyone with two distinct reservations actually get two SWGE reservations on consecutive days? We are looking at an unintended split stay PPH/DLH on the 14-16th due to availability. Based on other posts some have gotten in several times in two days as a resort guest, internet reservation and guest of another reservation.
Mike

Last edited:
Day One

8am - 12pm Reservation

We left our hotel room at 5:40 and walked to the security tent for DLH/DTD. Waited a few minutes since only one tent was open and there were a couple of people in front of us. We were in the Disneyland gates just before 6am, there was no wait to get in (Sidenote: Maxpass didn't work for anyone in our party until we exited and re-entered Disneyland after our SWGE reservation since the system didn't catch that we entered when we did)

I have an 8am-12pm reservation time during an EMH morning. We were planning to arrive at 6am to check-in and buy MaxPass. So, in order to use MaxPass, we will have to leave Disneyland and re-enter? Has anyone else had to do this? Or, after checking in, can we leave and re-enter for EMH--maybe then it will register? Thank you!

Thank you so much for posting this. We have 8 am to noon next Sunday 6/9 and I'm worrying about what time to get to the gate. I was planning on 6 to 6:30 am. I hate not knowing exactly what to do! :) I'm sure this has been asked/answered: do they have a special line for Star Wars reservations prior to entering the park?

Sorry for the delay in responding - someone else might have answered this already - we've been traveling and I haven't been keeping up with the threads. Yes, there is a special entrance - the gates nearest Harbor Blvd. We were there on a Early Magic Hour morning, and the reservation lines were separate from these lines.

Got into Oga's Cantina. Didn't feel like ordering alcohol at 8am so the drinks were non-alcoholic.

View attachment 405870

Blue Bantha (Blue Milk topped with a Sugar Cookie) (left)
This is the same flavor profile as the Blue Milk served at the Milk Stand except it's a more milky consistency whereas the one at the stand is more of a slushie. The viscosity is thicker than dairy milk so I can see why some might find that off-putting. It reminded me of a yogurt drink with a bit of tartness to it that I quite liked, but I actually preferred the flavor of the green milk if I had to choose one.

Carbon Freeze (Lemon Lime and Strawberry with Green Apple Popping Pearls) (right)
The bubbling popping pearls will make this drink a hit with kids (and Instagrammers). It was sweet, but not cloyingly so. I'd definitely recommend it to adults not looking to imbibe.

Oga's Obsession (Lemonade, Cotton Candy Flavor, and Blueberry Popping Pearls)
This is like teal jello with popping pearls in a petri-like dish. It's on the sweet side so it would be perfect for kids. It's darker colored in person than in the promotional photos, so my picture didn't come out as it looked almost black in the low Cantina light.

Batuu Bits (Snack Mix) (below)
This "galactic snack mix" is actually just an assortment of Asian snacks. There was wasabi-flavored fried nori (seaweed) and peas, arare (Japanese rice crackers), and crispy rice balls. I would totally order this again, but none of these items were exotic to me personally. If you are not familiar with Asian snacks or have picky eaters in your group, this may not be for them.

View attachment 405869
The snack mix looks cool though!

Sorry for the delay in responding - someone else might have answered this already - we've been traveling and I haven't been keeping up with the threads. Yes, there is a special entrance - the gates nearest Harbor Blvd. We were there on a Early Magic Hour morning, and the reservation lines were separate from these lines.
Great to know, was wondering this too! At what point do they issue the wristbands? We’re planning to do the Fantasyland attractions until around 8:30-9:00AM, and then enter SWGE after the initial surge is over. If the only place to get the wristbands is at the front gates then we’ll queue up there, but if there’s an option to get the wristbands inside the park that would be even better.

I haven't been to Galaxy's Edge yet, but have some experience with high end replica lightsabers. It's not that a 7 year old is too young, it's more that Savi's is a very expensive experience that may not be right for a child.

In April 2017, I bought the Skywalker replica (Anakin in the prequels, Luke in the original trilogy, and Rey in the sequel trilogy) lightsaber at Walt Disney World that was around $175. It's a metallic hilt with a detachable LED blade. The description of the lightsabers sold in Savi's are nearly identical to the one I purchased at Disney World and they are $200. For lack of a better word, this is not a toy lightsaber to play with. The box that mine came in says 8+ as the age range. Honestly, I only let my nephews even touch this lightsaber under my supervision and only after they've regularly demonstrated the maturity to me that they respect items belonging to other people and realize that it's a privilege to play with this lightsaber as opposed to a right. Most of the time when I play Star Wars with my nephews, we use plastic lightsabers and have a great time.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here to not allow a child to do the build your own lightsaber experience. I just hope that people understand that the $200 price point is because we are talking about a high end prop replica that may not be right for a child or may be more than a parent wants to spend. As @Gaugersaurus said, there is a build your own lightsaber station in Tomorrowland that is perfect for children.

I think the prices on these build your own in Tomorrowland are around $30. The children select their blade color and the pieces they want to use on the hilt. They can also use multiple colors if they choose the right kind of hilt (such as Kylo Ren or Darth Maul). There are also plenty of other non movie plastic hilts available for children to choose from. They light up if you purchase batteries for them as well.

Obviously, the ones sold in Savi's look incredible and much more movie real than the toy ones sold in Tomorrowland, but to get that level of realism means paying a lot more. The build your own outside Star Tours is also a hands on experience where gift shop CMs assist the children. And it can be done in 5-10 minutes as opposed to the hours that people are waiting to build one in Savi's. As an adult collector, I am excited to have the experience in Savi's. But if I were buying lightsabers for my nephews, we're going to Tomorrowland. Maybe if they still love Star Wars in 10-15 years, they can build their own in Savi's with me but given how quickly children's interests can change, they get plastic toy ones for now. Of all the toys that I played with in childhood, only Star Wars still remains a part of my life today.

Or seeing the very well done Transformers ride and walk around Transformers in Universal is nostalgic. But Galaxy's Edge will be a dream fulfilled from childhood. Both are well done, but only one still has meaning to me.
Thank you so much for your explanation of the build your own lightsaber for children! So far, my son is far more interested in the droids than the lightsabers, but I’m wondering if that will change once we get there and daddy has a lightsaber. The Tomorrowland ones sound perfect for him! Are they of a size that could realistically fit in standard luggage?

Great to know, was wondering this too! At what point do they issue the wristbands? We’re planning to do the Fantasyland attractions until around 8:30-9:00AM, and then enter SWGE after the initial surge is over. If the only place to get the wristbands is at the front gates then we’ll queue up there, but if there’s an option to get the wristbands inside the park that would be even better.
They give you the wristbands at Launch Bay. We entered DL at 6:30 a.m. and followed the line directly to Launch Bay (cast members placed all along the route to keep us going as the park wasn't opened yet). We went through the process to get our wristbands and exited Launch Bay a few minutes before 7 a.m. Then we were free to wander around Tomorrowland before the park opened. At 7 a.m. we could go on rides since they were open for Extra Magic Hour, or get in line to enter SWGE. I recommend the former if you want to do all the big experiences (Olga's, build a droid or light saber, etc.).

What PhotoPass and magic shots are there in SWGE? I"ve heard about a couple but haven't seen any examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter