D23 Destination D 2016: Amazing Adventures - FULL AGENDA post 132 (pg7)

BlueFairy

DIS Veteran
Hi all.

Destination D was just announced for 2016. I am excited to be ahead of the game and possibly get to attend. But I have questions. I watched online coverage of D23 Expo and realize that people line up hours in advance, have a buddy system to get to see it all, etc. How does Destination D compare, especially when it's held at WDW?

Are there people out there with experience from 2014 - @Cousin Orville, @wdwscout? I saw your posts in an old thread on DIS Unplugged board.

My questions - I would possibly buy the gold membership and a single ticket. Is the price worth it? Is the presentation manageable for solo travelers? Does it sell out months in advance? It would be nice to not commit myself to a non-refundable, non-transferable ticket at this point. I know that Run Disney and D23 Expo tickets can get scarce. Wondering if the same is true for Destination D.

Also, is seating truly guaranteed for all presentations as long as you don't care which seat you get? I gather that this is one auditorium rather than multiple stages going on at once.

I don't think I want to stand in line for hours to see archives or get into Mickey's of Glendale. If I simply devote part of my Friday to that, is it manageable?

Realistic to attend a Friday night MVMCP as well? Or are there often Friday evening events on the program?

Best advice for managing lunch breaks? That's a lot of people hitting the CR Concourse all at once.

Lots of questions, but community coverage on the actual logistics of this event seem to be lacking out there.

Thanks so much!

ETA: Full agenda is up - Listed on Page 7, post 132.

Last edited:
I went to the Destination D in 2014, so I can answer some of the questions based on what I saw. I went on one of the $1,000 VIP tickets, so my experience may vary from others.

The regular tickets did not sell out. The ballroom at the Contemporary is huge, and there was still room all the way in the back. The only reason you would want to book the first day is to get a VIP (yes, even at $1,100, they sell out quick) or to get the link for discounted rooms. The last time, they offered discounted rates at the Contemporary and Riverside, and the Contemporary rooms went fast.

Yes, seating is guaranteed at Destination D. If you have a ticket, you will get in. If you want something close to the front of the hall, you will need to line up a few hours early and line up instead of eating during the midday breaks. If you don't care where you sit, you can just walk right in before the presentations begin.

As far as I see, the only Friday night presentation will be for the VIPs, so if you're on a normal ticket, you can go to MVMCP. On the Friday before the last Destination D, you could register, see the the Archives exhibit, and shop in Mickey's of Glendale. The VIPs get first access to the Archives and MoG, about two hours before regular guests.

A lot of regular guests bolted from the last presentation before the midday breaks about 10 minutes early to catch the monorail to eat at MK or one of the other monorail hotels. The rest ate at Contempo Cafe or the temp food stand they set up at the convention center. I heard the waits were long for both. The VIPs had a lounge with snacks and drinks, so between that and what I brought in my bag, I was fine until I went to the park at night.

Hope this helps.

@swfmco - Wonderfully helpful and detailed. Thanks so much!

I do wonder what sort of discount is offered on the CR rooms. That sounds tempting.

Sounds very manageable if, like all things at WDW, you have the stamina for it.

Assuming you are willing to miss a presentation and sit in the back, can you come in and out throughout the day?

How late does it run into the evenings?

@swfmco - Wonderfully helpful and detailed. Thanks so much!

I do wonder what sort of discount is offered on the CR rooms. That sounds tempting.

Sounds very manageable if, like all things at WDW, you have the stamina for it.

Assuming you are willing to miss a presentation and sit in the back, can you come in and out throughout the day?

How late does it run into the evenings?

I used the offer for Riverside and got it for $139 a night. The Contemporary was about $100 more a night, if I remember right. It was a very good rate for the Contemporary, especially if you planned to line up early, so they went fast. I just took the 1st bus of the morning from Riverside to MK, then walked over to Contemporary. Because I had reserved seats in the front row, I didn't feel a need to stay there.

I think you could come and go as you pleased. To be honest, I didn't see too many people leave during the talks, but again, I was at the front, so nobody in those seats tended to leave.

The programming ran until 5 PM. On the 2nd day, they did a Pleasure Island party at 8 PM, but they haven't said if they are doing something similar this year. Only about half of the crowd went back at 8. I went to MK.

I think swfmco covered it pretty well. I stayed at the Contemp with the D23 offer. It was $246/night according to my notes.

I also happened to get the VIP ticket. While people do line up, like in Expo, it's not necessary. Basically if you want to be close enough to easily see the presenters, you have to line up. If you're ok being in the same room but watching the video screens, you don't have to line up.

I haven't decided if I'm going myself, but having gone to many in the past, I can highly recommend them.

Oh, lunch.. We ate one day at the Poly and another day at Pecos Bill's. I don't remember missing any of the presentations. I want to say we had a couple of hours for lunch, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks to those who posted about their experiences at past Destination D events.

Is there any way to find out exactly what the room and park ticket offers will be this year before actually buying the Destination D tickets? Or do I have to spend the $380 for two Destination D tickets and then receive the park ticket and room offer details? It sure would be nice to know in advance! Thanks.

I went solo in 2014, but registered too late for discounted room rates (so book early!). I stayed at Coronado Springs Resort - I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here! I did not have the VIP ticket, but was not disappointed. I went to MVMCP on Friday night after I checked in, enjoyed 2 days of great speakers & presentations, shopped at Mickey's of Glendale, spent some time in the theme parks (MK & HS), and went to Be our Guest for lunch one day - we had about 2 hours for lunch.
I'm hoping that they post room & park ticket offers when tickets go on sale. As I said, I registered late last time & missed the early booking info., so I'm not sure about that.
I'll be there again this year - see you there!!

Last edited:
Thanks to those who posted about their experiences at past Destination D events.

Is there any way to find out exactly what the room and park ticket offers will be this year before actually buying the Destination D tickets? Or do I have to spend the $380 for two Destination D tickets and then receive the park ticket and room offer details? It sure would be nice to know in advance! Thanks.

The link will be in the receipt email when you buy tickets. I'll post the rates once I buy the tickets on the 21st.

Question:

I will be bringing a friend who is not a D23 member. We would each like to pay our own way, if possible. Does anyone know if we can put our tickets to DestinationD on 2 credit cards since I am the only member? (Probably not, right?). What about room & park tickets?

TIA

Question:

I will be bringing a friend who is not a D23 member. We would each like to pay our own way, if possible. Does anyone know if we can put our tickets to DestinationD on 2 credit cards since I am the only member? (Probably not, right?). What about room & park tickets?

TIA

In order to buy tickets, you must be a D23 member. You can be a general member (aka free membership), but the ticket will be $60 more expensive. Not sure if you can split payments on the ticketing website.

Room and park tickets will be available via a link when you buy your Destination D ticket.

Thanks swfmco, that's what I thought. Since I'm the D23 member I'll have to buy the DestinationD tickets.

Thanks swfmco, that's what I thought. Since I'm the D23 member I'll have to buy the DestinationD tickets.
Your friend can register for free. It's just an email address and password. I did that and get all the emails and can purchase tickets. There's a listing somewhere on the website that shows the added benefits if you go Gold.

This way you'd be able to keep your accounting separate.

Following. Thank you for the information to date. I am considering going this year ( a friend told me it wouldn't be nice for him to go alone and drink alone in the evening.....). Looking forward to finding out the discounted hotel & park ticket rates.

I went to the Destination D in 2014, so I can answer some of the questions based on what I saw. I went on one of the $1,000 VIP tickets, so my experience may vary from others.

Did you feel like the VIP ticket was worth it? And are you planning to purchase it again?

From what I can tell, the advantages are front row seats, extra goodies, and a private event. Any other perks that help round out the value? What was the exclusive give that you received last time and was it in addition to the gift given to general admission?

TIA!

I will be there November 18th-22nd solo. This will be my first Destination D. I attended last year's D23 Expo in Anaheim. SO looking forward to Mickey's of Glendale, as I was unable to get in there at D23. Hoping to stay at The Contemporary.

Anyone else having trouble getting GA tickets? I'm stuck with VIP tickets and I can't seem to change to GA tickets.

SO excited! Got my Confirmations for both my VIP Ticket, and Hotel Room at The Grand! When I clicked to get a hotel room, the Contemporary wasn't coming up which is weird, because I got in the SECOND the ticket link came up. Guess there were just a ton of people faster than me haha. Or it could've been a glitch at the time. Regardless, I couldn't be happier to be staying at The Grand, and the rate is AWESOME! I was so nervous that I wouldn't get a VIP ticket, cause I know they go super fast when it comes to the Expo. It's something I really wanted to experience. Anyone else get their Ticket and Hotel Confirmation yet?? It's going to be a blast! :) @Accident That is strange. It gave me both the options when I signed on. You've refreshed, and signed out and back in? Still nothing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter