Cutting it close

hy205

Earning My Ears
My bf and I will be heading to WDW in September. Right now I have a Dining reservation for Hoop-Dee-Doo at 8:30 on our arrival day. Our flight lands at 5:16 pm and we are taking magical express to all-start sports. We will take a cab from All-star Sports to Hoop-Dee-Doo. Will we have enough time to check in and get to Hoop-Dee-Doo or am I pushing it.

This will also be my bf's first trip to WDW so I want him to have a great experience without overwhelming him.

Thank you for your advice.

-hy205

I personally cannot recommend any must-dos, lose $ for no shows, or we'll be really upset if we miss plans for arrival days, especially when flying. The only thing you plan on arrival day is "if we make it fine, if we don't fine." The fact you're asking makes me think you wouldn't be 'fine' if you did miss it. You're going to start the trip feeling rushed & panicked trying to make it on time. Too many things can go wrong with delayed & missed flights, maybe there's a wreck on the highway, etc. etc. I wouldn't even attempt it.

ETA you can check in online

:welcome: to the DIS

IMO - I would not do this. I have no idea what your plans are for the rest of the trip but I would not want my vacation to start with something that costs money if I miss it and has me rushing to get there. I think it's fun to just relax and walk around the resort. Are you going to a park the next morning? If so, I'd just enjoy the resort and go to bed in time to feel rested the next morning for a great start to the trip. True that the food court is not as "magical", but it's all part of the experience of where you are staying - which I have stayed several times!

In all my years of going, I still haven't been to that show (though I would like to), so I obviously wouldn't begin that way. Then again, I usually only have one ADR, maybe two, planned for our entire trip. I like to eat when/where we feel like it in WDW (snacks and counter service).

If you were coming in town before check-in time and had a late morning plan for the next day, I might not think it's a bad way to start the trip...maybe.

I would try to change when you go to HDDR. I always recommend leaving at least three hrs after landing before booking anything. And I en then it would be booking something that is either at my resort or very nearby.
For HDDR, I love going to MK, then taking the boat over to FtW, and walking up the short path to Pioneer Hall. So relaxing. But not doable with your available time.
Much better to try to change the date.

I would agree with other posters and say it's too close. Everything would have to land just in the right spot for you to get there and if you don't make it, it's an expensive meal to be charged a no show for.

Agree with the others -- don't force it.

And on the transportation: Lyft/Uber $9-$10, taxi $20...just sayin'

NOTE Landing Time is when plane touches down on the Runway.

Then there is taxing to Gate & then Off the plane .

So an extra 15 min is needed Before you are in the Terminal Building

I would cancel. Take a cab to a monorail resort instead and plan on visiting a lounge, ride the monorail, and maybe watch fireworks from the Poly. No reservation needed, and will give a big burst of Disney to get the trip started!

That is really cutting it close. HDDR is one of those where you have to give yourself extra time just to get to it on any day, let alone after you arrive. Maybe try to change it to another night, where you won't have to rush. It will be much more enjoyable. It is not a good way to start the trip off, by immediately rushing to get to an ADR.

Wow! I've never seen a thread with everyone in agreement. Come on...not one dissenting voice?

Signed,

Amazed!

Wow! I've never seen a thread with everyone in agreement. Come on...not one dissenting voice?

Signed,

Amazed!
I think you could do it...

Don't use the ME tags for your luggage and get luggage from the airport (better yet, do it all w/carryon)
Cab/Uber/Towncar from MCO to CR. I'd expect arrival at CR ~6:30.
Leave bags with bell services at CR.
Boat from CR to FW. Should be there by 7:30.
Perfect!
After HDD, return to CR, collect luggage, Uber to your resort.

Of course, that's assuming your flight is on time, there's no issue with luggage or traffic/construction on the roads.

Ah, I knew you were out there ;), eternal optimist.

Of course, that's assuming your flight is on time, there's no issue with luggage or traffic/construction on the roads.

That's too many assumptions for this to be feasible and the OP indicated a first timer along.

Signed,
Eternal Realist :wave2: :grouphug:

I'd never chance it. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. ;)
I just knew I could count on you for the dissenting view.. there's one in every crowd. Thanks for the chuckles today.

I agree with everyone who is saying not on your arrival day here is what I factor in when making plans

1. What is my airline's on time percentage between the 2 points including any layover points. This will be on the airlines website if you click on the flight number and then on flight information details it will list carrier flight number arrives from time arrives to time equipment type flight duration distance in miles and performance data which will read something like on time 81% +30 minutes 7% +60 minutes n/a for example (this is the performance for the past 30 days for the airline that I would use from my home airport most of the time I fly from the hub airport I would use most of the time into MCO) on time is within 15 minutes, 30 minutes means the flight is on the ground 30 minutes after the scheduled time so in your case if you land anytime prior to 5:16 to 5:31 it is on time and from 5:32 to 5:46

2. How many other flights are scheduled to land around the same time at the airport. For MCO this can be found here but it is a very limited time you can see https://orlandoairports.net/flights. If there are 3 flights scheduled to land at the same time and another 4-5 in time slots within 5-10 minutes either direction the chances of having to wait to get to the gate is increased over a flight landing at a time when very few flights are coming in or leaving.

3. Once the plane is at the gate you need to factor in time to get off-this is going to vary depending on where you are sitting and how much carry on luggage you have. If you just have an under the seat item it is going to take less time than if you have to get anything out of the overhead.

4. Factor in time to walk into the terminal from the door of the plane, locate and use a restroom. This is especially vital if your flight has gone over any mountain ranges or the gulf because those tend to have more of a chance for turbulence and thus the seat belt sign is being kept on. In our 4 hour and 38 minute flight we had maybe 40 minutes all flight that everyone could use the restroom between take off and getting to cruising altitude, 2 times of 3 carts in the aisle, snack drink, collect trash, preparing for landing, and 2 times of turbulence.

5. Then you have to factor in getting to the main building from the terminal building and down to the DME desk which if your airline uses the other side is going to involve crossing sides.

6. How long are you going to wait for DME to leave the airport grounds

7. Time to get to your resort and what number you are on the list. Figure that there could be 4 resorts and that the bus will stop at each one for 10 minutes

8. Time to get off the bus, get any carry on items from under the bus (there is not room for much more than a day pack at your feet on the bus) and get to your room in order to drop off your items

9. If your not dining at your resort time to get there including walking to where you can get transportation, waiting for transportation, time to get from your resort to the location and time to check in if it is a table service location.

A rundown of my numbers (yours may vary)

1. I plan for my flight to be 90 minutes late to start running total in minutes 90
2. I figure 10 minutes to the gate running total 100
3. I plan for 10 minutes to get off the plane 110
4 Another 10 minutes to get into the terminal and use the restroom and exit 120 minutes
5. Add in another 10 minutes to get to DME (I happen to know my airline uses the same side but if I ever got the bright idea to use an airline out of my area that uses the other side I would add 5 to this-not going to happen because this particular airline has an 8-10 hour layover followed by an overnight red eye flight). Now at 130 minutes
6. Factor in 20 minutes for DME to leave because if your in a rush you will end up missing the one before and have to wait for a full bus to leave 150
7. 75 minutes to get to my resort broken down as 30 minutes to Disney property using google map numbers, 3 stops of 10 minutes each and 15 minutes to allow for any traffic delays and possible detours 205 minutes
8. 15 minutes to get off the bus, get my belongings from under and to my room 220 minutes
9. 5 minutes to get to transportation, 10 minutes to wait, 20 minutes there, another 10 minute walk plus 10 minutes early to check in for 55 minutes and a total of 275 minutes which translates to 4 hours and 35 minutes though to be on the safe side I would factor in 5 hours.

Considering the flight I would normally use lands around 4:30 PM the earliest I would make an ADR is for 9:30 PM and trust me after having been up for 15.5 hours that is not going to happen. By the time you eat and get back to the room figure that it is 2 hours later.

Don't use the ME tags for your luggage and get luggage from the airport (better yet, do it all w/carryon)
Cab/Uber/Towncar from MCO to CR. I'd expect arrival at CR ~6:30.
Leave bags with bell services at CR.
Boat from CR to FW. Should be there by 7:30.
Perfect!
After HDD, return to CR, collect luggage, Uber to your resort.

I knew I could do it :)

I agree with everyone who is saying not on your arrival day here is what I factor in when making plans

1. What is my airline's on time percentage between the 2 points including any layover points. This will be on the airlines website if you click on the flight number and then on flight information details it will list carrier flight number arrives from time arrives to time equipment type flight duration distance in miles and performance data which will read something like on time 81% +30 minutes 7% +60 minutes n/a for example (this is the performance for the past 30 days for the airline that I would use from my home airport most of the time I fly from the hub airport I would use most of the time into MCO) on time is within 15 minutes, 30 minutes means the flight is on the ground 30 minutes after the scheduled time so in your case if you land anytime prior to 5:16 to 5:31 it is on time and from 5:32 to 5:46

2. How many other flights are scheduled to land around the same time at the airport. For MCO this can be found here but it is a very limited time you can see https://orlandoairports.net/flights. If there are 3 flights scheduled to land at the same time and another 4-5 in time slots within 5-10 minutes either direction the chances of having to wait to get to the gate is increased over a flight landing at a time when very few flights are coming in or leaving.

3. Once the plane is at the gate you need to factor in time to get off-this is going to vary depending on where you are sitting and how much carry on luggage you have. If you just have an under the seat item it is going to take less time than if you have to get anything out of the overhead.

4. Factor in time to walk into the terminal from the door of the plane, locate and use a restroom. This is especially vital if your flight has gone over any mountain ranges or the gulf because those tend to have more of a chance for turbulence and thus the seat belt sign is being kept on. In our 4 hour and 38 minute flight we had maybe 40 minutes all flight that everyone could use the restroom between take off and getting to cruising altitude, 2 times of 3 carts in the aisle, snack drink, collect trash, preparing for landing, and 2 times of turbulence.

5. Then you have to factor in getting to the main building from the terminal building and down to the DME desk which if your airline uses the other side is going to involve crossing sides.

6. How long are you going to wait for DME to leave the airport grounds

7. Time to get to your resort and what number you are on the list. Figure that there could be 4 resorts and that the bus will stop at each one for 10 minutes

8. Time to get off the bus, get any carry on items from under the bus (there is not room for much more than a day pack at your feet on the bus) and get to your room in order to drop off your items

9. If your not dining at your resort time to get there including walking to where you can get transportation, waiting for transportation, time to get from your resort to the location and time to check in if it is a table service location.

A rundown of my numbers (yours may vary)

1. I plan for my flight to be 90 minutes late to start running total in minutes 90
2. I figure 10 minutes to the gate running total 100
3. I plan for 10 minutes to get off the plane 110
4 Another 10 minutes to get into the terminal and use the restroom and exit 120 minutes
5. Add in another 10 minutes to get to DME (I happen to know my airline uses the same side but if I ever got the bright idea to use an airline out of my area that uses the other side I would add 5 to this-not going to happen because this particular airline has an 8-10 hour layover followed by an overnight red eye flight). Now at 130 minutes
6. Factor in 20 minutes for DME to leave because if your in a rush you will end up missing the one before and have to wait for a full bus to leave 150
7. 75 minutes to get to my resort broken down as 30 minutes to Disney property using google map numbers, 3 stops of 10 minutes each and 15 minutes to allow for any traffic delays and possible detours 205 minutes
8. 15 minutes to get off the bus, get my belongings from under and to my room 220 minutes
9. 5 minutes to get to transportation, 10 minutes to wait, 20 minutes there, another 10 minute walk plus 10 minutes early to check in for 55 minutes and a total of 275 minutes which translates to 4 hours and 35 minutes though to be on the safe side I would factor in 5 hours.

Considering the flight I would normally use lands around 4:30 PM the earliest I would make an ADR is for 9:30 PM and trust me after having been up for 15.5 hours that is not going to happen. By the time you eat and get back to the room figure that it is 2 hours later.

Thank you so much for the detail in this post. too many variables to make it worth while. Back to the drawing board.

Glad this is resolved...

For me, I hate being on a plane that is running late when I have anything time sensitive at the destination. It drives up my anxiety level. Not worth it on vacation. I prefer to take it easy on vacation so I don't plan anything on arrival day. If the flight is delayed, I don't care - I got nowhere to be.

Imagine how you will feel if you get to your airport and the flight is delayed 45 minutes. That's bad enough, but then you do the math in your head and realize you'll have a 15 minute window to make your reservation. You start stressing in the terminal - before your vacation even starts... Then you get to DME and there's a line... Again, that's bad enough, but if you have no plans you can relax and enjoy the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter