Cutting extra magic hours

mickey0624

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!
trying to plan a summer trip. Looking ahead and it appears the parks have drastically cut back extra magic hours. Is this true or am I missing something?

trying to plan a summer trip. Looking ahead and it appears the parks have drastically cut back extra magic hours. Is this true or am I missing something?

I just planned an unexpected summer trip, (haven't visited in the summer in over ten years), and was thinking the same thing! I remember parks being open until 12/1/2am! Magic Kingdom is open until 9 and 10 pm - how disappointing!

Yes, I noticed that, too- both regular & EMH are short. We went last summer and MK was regularly open to all guests until midnight, and EMH lasted until 2am. This year, MK closes to regular guests at 10pm every day (even the 4th of July!) and EMH last only until midnight. That really stinks, given the crowds, and gives me one less reason to stay onsite in the future. It also gives me less desire to brave the main parks in the summer. We're going to do water parks only this June (have a water parks-only AP), so at least we won't get fleeced on ticket prices.

They've found yet another place to cut costs (in addition to CM training, extended monorail hours, housekeeping, towel animals, etc., etc.) If they keep cutting everything that makes Disney special, they're going to end up cutting guests.

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed that, too. We went last summer and MK was open until midnight regularly, and EMH lasted until 2am. This year, MK closes to regular guests at 10pm everyday (even the 4th of July!) and EMH lasts only until midnight. This really stinks, given the crowds (late night summer EMH made a big difference on peak summer crowd days), and gives me one less reason to stay onsite in the future.
I agree. MK used to have at least 2 nights a week. Now it appears it's only on Wednesdays.

They will likely extend hours when it gets closer.

I hope so. Watching that to decide if we should book a bounceback trip for next year. If the hours end up being like in July '15, we will. If the hours end up being the same as they have posted now (January hours in July heat, essentially), we won't return in summer '17. It's just too hot and rainy on summer days to not give guests late-night park hours regularly. We pay a lot for Disney trips, but expect to get value in return. So far we have, but if it looks like we won't, we'll vacation elsewhere next summer.

Last edited:
In general it does seem like hours are being shortened. Its rare to see a 2 or 3 am anymore. However the hours will be extended as the dates get closer. 1am is still very common.

Heck, they haven't even updated the schedule for DHS for March. I don't think MK is correct for March either. Last year when we went during March, just a week or two before our trip, MK hours changed to regular opening at 8am, so EMH at 7am. I think they will do that this year too, but they haven't posted it yet:sad2:

Heck, they haven't even updated the schedule for DHS for March. I don't think MK is correct for March either. Last year when we went during March, just a week or two before our trip, MK hours changed to regular opening at 8am, so EMH at 7am. I think they will do that this year too, but they haven't posted it yet:sad2:
I've been watching the March hours as well, compared to last March they are very different, I keep hoping they will adjust sooner rather than later.

Yes, I noticed that, too- both regular & EMH are short. We went last summer and MK was regularly open to all guests until midnight, and EMH lasted until 2am. This year, MK closes to regular guests at 10pm every day (even the 4th of July!) and EMH last only until midnight. That really stinks, given the crowds, and gives me one less reason to stay onsite in the future. It also gives me less desire to brave the main parks in the summer. We're going to do water parks only this June (have a water parks-only AP), so at least we won't get fleeced on ticket prices.

They've found yet another place to cut costs (in addition to to CM training, extended monorail hours, housekeeping, towel animals, etc., etc.) If they keep cutting everything that makes Disney special, they're going to end up cutting guests.

They usually add hours as the dates get closer.

I've been watching the March hours as well, compared to last March they are very different, I keep hoping they will adjust sooner rather than later.

Yes, I have been watching as well. The evening EMH are basically non-existent for our trip and that was not the case for the same dates last year.

I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure;)

I don't think they've updated March hours since November. They completely skipped March in the December and January updates. We leave in 21 days, and it's so difficult trying to plan when I know the hours will change. Disney's lack of information has made this the most difficult trip I've planned.

They will extend hours and add EMH as needed. They did last year. On July 3 last year, MK closed at 1 am with EMH until 3 am. Up until they changed the hours in April or May it still said they closed at 10:00 pm on July 3 and 4. Look at the calendar of hours from last year. Most nights in July MK is open until 12:00 or 1:00.

We are going next week, a usually very busy President's week. I've been waiting for 8 am openings, midnight closures and added things like 12 pm FOF parade, all of which have occurred the last 2 years during the same week. So far, none of these has happened with the exception of the actual weekend of the Monday holiday.

I read in another post that they roll out the hours 180 days in advance just as the dining reservations are able to be made. I expect they can add hours but from everything I have read, the hours are as they expect them to stay. I really like the EMH at one park in the morning and another at night like it used to be, but it doesn't appear to be that way any more.

I read in another post that they roll out the hours
1. 180 days in advance just as the dining reservations are able to be made.
2. I expect they can add hours
3. but from everything I have read, the hours are as they expect them to stay.
4. I really like the EMH at one park in the morning and another at night like it used to be, but it doesn't appear to be that way any more.

1. True.
2. True.
3. Seldom the case.
4. That was rarely ever the typical situation.
Only one or the other (AM or PM EMH per day) except for one or two days of the week.
There have been exceptions, but generally it was very close to what it is now.

The biggest changes:
Shortening the regular hours on some days.
Dropping DAK from PM EMH (adding a second AM EMH at DAK per week.)
And, the biggie: dropping PM EMH from THREE hours to TWO hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter