Cutters-what would you do?

PinkiexLi

Mouseketeer
We were at DCA over the weekend and the line for RSR was an hour and a half. Me, DD, and a friend opted to wait since we haven't been on this ride in a awhile. The part of the line outside the track is pretty wide and we all stood together by the rail to chat and relax while we waited. The group behind us kept inching their way beside us, then eventually in front of us. One of the girls in the group stayed behind in her original spot behind us and told her friends that they were not there, that their place in line was behind us. To which her friend responded nastily, "Well, they left a space". Huh? I didn't know that while standing in an hour and a half line if you leave a minuscule gap of space between your group and the group in front of you, it gives others the right to cut in front of you!

I was upset, but figured we were at Disneyland and only a party of three and if these people really were in such a rush that they had to be nasty and cut people in line...and the girl who stayed behind looked miserable, so I told her to join her friends in front of us since they appeared to be in a rush. However, I became furious when I noticed a few minutes later that they did the same thing to the party in front of us too! The group in front of us was a group of six. Now were talking cutting a whole car of people. That is not right! I was about to get rowdy, but my friend stopped me. Maybe the group in front let them cut too? So I asked the mom in the group if she was okay with them cutting in front of them. She said that she didn't even notice them slipping in front of her and yes, she did mind.

I got out of line and reported the cutters to the cast member that is stationed outside the line and he asked me to point them out. He told me that he was going to report them to the cast member in the front so that they could keep an eye out for them to make sure that they didn't continue to cut in line. So I got back in line. Once we passed the track and they saw the line thru the garages, the cutters just left. I don't know if it was because they saw that line was too long or too narrow for them to cut in front of others, but they left.

My question: what would you have done?

For me, I wish the cast member would've pulled them out of line and made them from the beginning again.

I probably would have done the same thing, tell a CM, and then let it go.

As you said, you are at DL, accentuate the positives. DL is a place I go to forget about all the real world responsibilities and rude people I encounter everyday. A couple of kids moving through the line a little quicker than they should is not going to ruin my day.

You did fine.

There are some lines where at a certain point you do "fill in all available space" but RSR isn't one of them!

Hmm. Well, I know it is DL, and one hates to have arguments there, etc.

BUT, I am from NJ. I would have said something to them directly the first time. I prefer to "call people out" on their poor behavior. I have been known to say things like, "the line starts back HERE", or "excuse me, we were in front of you". When it is young people doing the cutting, I feel like it is a form of bullying, that they think they can just get away with doing this, because older folks and families will allow it. I may even let them get away with it, but I call them out anyway.

At our Six Flags in NJ, the line cutting is FAR more aggressive. I mean, really over the top nasty. DH and some other people on a line, reported a group of teens, and the security had them sign a complaint, AND they booted them the park! They were on a bus trip from north Jersey and had to wait outside the park fence for hours. (I was a little concerned about being jumped when we left, I do admit, but DH was a bar bouncer at one time, lol).

The Disney line cutting you described is less aggressive, we call it the "Sidle" approach, people just try and slip in quietly and move up. Worse is the fake "we are joining people up the line", and they are actually not joining ANYONE.

I get really annoyed at people who RUN in front of my son in his wheelchair, or who cut us. I mean, give me a BREAK people. They will push their kids and say, hurry, get in front of HIM. As if we move any slower than they do, on a line queue. My son is unaware he is disabled, so I can say things like, "are you PROUD of yourself?? You cut in front of a handicapped child!" Loudly.

These incidents are rare though, not even one per week long trip of course.

My husband stands 6 ft 5 in and weighs 250 lbs., all muscle. He looks intimidating but is a big teddy bear. But no way would he allow anyone, especially a bunch of teens, to cut in line in front of his grandkids. He would call them out and hope to scare them back to their place in line.

I've noticed over the past few years that DL isn't the happy place it used to be, because of things like this. Very sad.

Yeah, I would have said something to them.. but thats just me. and glad you said something to the CM.. no one minds the wait, ifs everyone is in the same boat.. but its not like at an ER where the more urgent person goes ahead.. its a line for a hopefully enjoyable ride.. so wait your turn you uncultured swine...:lmao:
anyway, looks like you got to ride and they didnt.. karma is a ***** sometimes aint it ..pixiedust:

I have to say - hats off to the one in their party who actually stood her ground and said to her group that you guys were indeed in front of them - that was a pleasant surprise.

However, I'd of done the same, I am not going to pick up anger and carry it around with me because people are rude - let them go by and let them try it with the 250 lb fella up ahead of me and see what happens.

Just like seeing someone speed past you or cut you off in traffic only to pass them on the side of the road talking to the cops - you gotta love when that happens - Karma baby!

Good for telling the CMs although I doubt they did anything with the info - they are not paid enough to be police.

I would have said something to them and asked them to get back behind my group in line.

I've had people try and do this a few times and I've just positioned myself so they just can't get past us. I've never been rude or confrontational, I just don't let it happen.

I would have calmly told them they were cutting and asked them to return to their spot in line. If they want to escalate it then thats on them but I wouldnt have just let it go (and havent in the past).

When they were speaking to their friend behind you, I would have joined the conversation.

"That's okay, we know it's frustrating to wait. You can stay in that space for now. When the line gets moving again, we;ll just go back to our original position ahead of you."

This is the kind of thing I say to families with small kids, where the child wants to move ahead. I mean it with the families, but with teens, it would be more of a sarcastic comment. ;)

When they were speaking to their friend behind you, I would have joined the conversation. "That's okay, we know it's frustrating to wait. You can stay in that space for now. When the line gets moving again, we;ll just go back to our original position ahead of you." This is the kind of thing I say to families with small kids, where the child wants to move ahead. I mean it with the families, but with teens, it would be more of a sarcastic comment. ;)

This is what we do as we'll, or other times we just move back to our original spot and hope for them to say something but most of the time they don't

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I would have said something to the kids for sure. I'm in education and I'm used to dealing with kids and they don't intimidate me at all. I would have said something to them, then made sure they couldn't get past me and then told a CM. You did good.

We were once in line for Winnie the Pooh and two adolescent boys were sitting on opposite sides of the fence along the queue. I noticed that they would inch their way along until they were past the groups behind us. Nobody else seemed to notice, so it was working for them.

I told my then 9 year old to lean on the fence with her legs stretched out toward the middle of the path, and I did the same. The look on their faces when they inched their way up the fence to us was priceless.

And why would you cut on that ride anyway?!

I always start with humor even when I'm hopping mad.

"Hey! Weren't you just behind us?? How'd you get in front of us??" ((In a loudish, boisterous voice to draw attention)) Then I'd follow up with, "Did y'all give us the slip?? Wow! Cutting the line on the sly! Skillllllz!" It shames them publicly with humor. Hopefully it'd start a dialogue where I can say slipping past people to open spaces IS line cutting. Then if they didn't volunteer to get back behind us I'd go talk with a CM. ;)

As a very mischievous kid set free in WDW back in he 80s I can tell you our favorite line-cutting tactic. We'd waive our arms, act real anxious, and call out "Mom! Wait for me!" We used to get shoved to the front by concerned adults. I know, we were hooligans and I feel awful about it now. It's part of why I watch even the sweetest-looking of kids when in theme parks. We were a nightmare. I'd kill my own offspring if they pulled the crap we did.

Personally I am the type of person to say something to the kids (or adults or whoever), It wouldn't ruin my day or anything but I'm not frightened to tell them to get back in their place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter