"Customer of Size" policies

mollybeasley

Mouseketeer
I just noticed that Southwest has a "Customer of Size" policy that requires fat people to purchase an extra ticket if their hips span beyond the edge of their own seat, and/or they can't push the armrest all the way down.

I found out that the width of the seat or armrests is about 17-18". But I don't know how this compares to other airline seats.

All my weight is in my hips so I'm a little worried. I can't find a tape measure. When I went to Hawaii, I fit comfortably in all the seats except a commuter flight on the last leg of the trip. On that one, the arm rest pressed into my hip.

Does anyone know how SW seats compare to other airlines?

Do other airlines have this policy now too?

Please, let's keep this thread PRACTICAL. (no fat bashing or airline bashing please.)

1. Yes other airlines have very similar policies, I will be flying on Frontier soon which has the exact same policy.

2. I am quite large myself, 5'6" and 280. I fit into a 17"seat earlier this year. I try to make sure that I have an isle seat so any overflow-age can go into the isle.

3. I have not had any overflow-age as of yet :thumbsup2

4. I worry every single time I fly but have never had any problems yet. GL

Keep in mind SW will refund the 2nd ticket if the flight is not full. The refund can be requested after the flight is completed.

Duds

My DH and I are both "larger" people. We fly SW all the time. Here is my experience:

I wear a size 22 (3X) and have big hips. I *can* fit into a seat and put the armrest down, I do need to ask for an extension for the selt belt. My DH also can do the same, he does not need a extension for the seat belt. It is rather tight for us, but we can fit in the seat. Neither of us have ever been approached or even questioned about our sizes on SW. I actually find the seats to be just as big or even more comfortable than some other airlines I have traveled in the past. Now.....saying that.....

We always buy one extra seat under "Person of size". This gives us three seats (a whole row on one side) and we can just use up the three seats, him in aisle, me at window and be comfortable. It also gives us the middle seat to put carry-on baggage and have the whole area in front of us free for our feet. It also allows you to board priority, ahead of everyone (with the disability folk) esince you need two seats together. Most of the time, the extra seat is refunded, since it may not be totally full. This is also a strategy that I use if just one of us flies from east coast to west coast....two seats on a 6 hour flight feels like first class!

Does it cost a little more up-front? Yes....am I guaranteed to get the money back...no...but for us, a little extra moola for more room can be worth it.

It also gives us the middle seat to put carry-on baggage and have the whole area in front of us free for our feet.

Keep in mind items must be removed from this seat and put on the floor under the seat in front of you during take-off and landing.

I'm very large too and have not had to buy an additional seat. Maybe it is because I always sit next to my 6 and 7 year olds whose seats I paid for.

Keep in mind items must be removed from this seat and put on the floor under the seat in front of you during take-off and landing.

Actually, I was trying to point out that you can use the middle seat area underneath the seat in front to store your carry-ons....hence more foot room for the whole flight since you don't have to put them under the two seats you actually sit in, but I don't think I actually typed that correctly ;).

I'm very large too and have not had to buy an additional seat. Maybe it is because I always sit next to my 6 and 7 year olds whose seats I paid for.
Southwest's (posted) policy on this is that because seats aren't preassigned, there's no guarantee members of one's own party will be in adjacent seats. Also, they feel each passenger - even the smallest child - is entitled to one full seat.

I'm not a "customer of size", however, I'd love two seats to myself (especially since the second seat is often free). Would I be allowed to purchase two seats and pre-board? Is there a size restriction (i.e., you have to be at least a certain size)?

If you happen to live near the Canada/US border, try taking a Canadian-based airline instead. Canadian airlines are required by law to provide a free second seat for those who cannot fit into a single seat.

If you happen to live near the Canada/US border, try taking a Canadian-based airline instead. Canadian airlines are required by law to provide a free second seat for those who cannot fit into a single seat.

Actually, that is only applicable on flights within Canada.

Even if it did apply to a flight to the US, you'd likely pay far more than the cost of an extra seat on SW (or most US based airlines). Many Canadian near the border drive to the US to fly and save a considerable amount of money.

You'd also need a doctor's note to indicate that you are "disabled by obesity" (wording from court case).

I'm feeling more confident now that I won't need an extra seat.

I remember years ago, it was common place for WNYers to drive to Toronto to fly to the Caribbean. Now, it seems that we have more Ontario residents on Buffalo flights.

We fly SWA extensively and most often buy an additional seat. When DW and I fly we don't really need one but it is just more comfortable. I am 6' 310 and don't need a seatbelt extension and am usually asked why I am spending the money on an extra seat by the gate attendents. When our DS was younger we would not get an extra seat and he would sit in the middle. But now as a Freshman in College he is 6'6" and 285# so even when he flies home to visit he gets an extra seat just for comfort and extra legroom.

I have always been able to call and get the refund for the second seat except during holidays. I am sure that aome of the flights were full and they still refunded the money.

FWIW hubby's over 300, is built like a sumo (no one area is a problem area, he's just muscular everywhere with extra weight on top), and even when he needs the extender, he's never needed to buy a second seat. That man will contort himself to wear he nearly can't walk off the plane, so he doesn't interfere with others, though.

We took SW here to WDW, and he did need the extender this time but no one said a word about a second seat at all.

delta must not have a policy. The woman next to me this morning took up her seat and at least half of mine. If there hadnt been an open seat in the front of the plane I dont think I would have lasted the whole flight. Not to be unfeeling but she was seriously on top of me.

... Not to be unfeeling but she was seriously on top of me.

sounds to me that you were feeling more than you wanted to:lmao:

anyway, I'm a pooh sized guy, and on my last Delta flight to LAX I was jammed against the window sill, the entire flight. They moved me to get a family seated together,....to a row with two other pooh's!! The guy in the middle seat had his elbows in my face the entire time as he read his book. I got off that 4 hr flight feeling like a pretzel, and I couldn't even have consider using the bathroom on the flight. I might have been in a torture chamber those four hrs.:eek:

sounds to me that you were feeling more than you wanted to:lmao:

anyway, I'm a pooh sized guy, and on my last Delta flight to LAX I was jammed against the window sill, the entire flight. They moved me to get a family seated together,....to a row with two other pooh's!! The guy in the middle seat had his elbows in my face the entire time as he read his book. I got off that 4 hr flight feeling like a pretzel, and I couldn't even have consider using the bathroom on the flight. I might have been in a torture chamber those four hrs.:eek:
You make the policy for that flight by complaining before departure.

Give the flight attendant a chance to solve the problem and if s/he fails, summon both the captain and the ground complaint resolution officer.

Psst! The quickest way to solve the problem and assure an on time departure is (for the FA or captain) to ask for volunteers. Whether the crew is astute enough to do that before you summon the CRO is not guaranteed, though.

Caution: If you yourself need more seats than you booked, then you may be bumped without compensation.

It was just a funny situation, slightly uncomfortable at the time. I fully fit in my own seat, It was just a weird coincidence. My only real beef was the guy in the middle seat being so rude, he had to know what he was doing. The seat change was made over an hour before the flight, I was asked if i would move so the family could sit together and did so as I was offered another window seat just a couple rows back.

It was just a funny situation, slightly uncomfortable at the time. I fully fit in my own seat, It was just a weird coincidence. My only real beef was the guy in the middle seat being so rude, he had to know what he was doing. The seat change was made over an hour before the flight, I was asked if i would move so the family could sit together and did so as I was offered another window seat just a couple rows back.
You did not get another seat. You got half a seat. It is within the responsibility of the flight crew to take care of the other guy;s rudeness when that is brought to the crew's attention as soon as possible and the crew does not succeed in fixing it.

Wouldn't common sense dictate simply asking the offender to kindly refrain from putting his elbows into his reading before summoning the crew?

You did not get another seat. You got half a seat. It is within the responsibility of the flight crew to take care of the other guy;s rudeness when that is brought to the crew's attention as soon as possible and the crew does not succeed in fixing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter