Custom Costco cake?

100AcreWood

DIS Veteran
Last year my son was really into airplanes. When I told the bakery person at Costco she remembered an airplane cake they used to offer. She brought out a book with old designs and while the cake wasn't a work of art it looked like an airplane. He loved the cake.

Today I went and when I asked the lady working there about different designs (we've had too many Costco cakes) she was very irritated and snapped at me about only offering what you see in the board. Has anyone had any luck with custom options? Nothing fancy. I asked her if I bought a spiderman airplane could they do something like a blue sky and she pointed to the board again.

LOVED Costco cakes. My son and I have a birthday within a week of each other and would always indulge in a Costco cake to share with fam and friends.

We would order a chocolate cake with the white frosting. Pure Heaven!
Well, Costco found it too much trouble to offer this option anymore. Just choc with choc frosting or white with white. I even asked :(

I am glad you had luck with your airplane cake, and while I love Costco, they are in the business of fast mass production of those cakes - we're lucky they personalize them anymore IMHO.

Sadly, they have recently become too oriented towards getting cakes out as fast as possible rather than customer service. I loved it when you could mix and match the filling, frosting and cake. Now that they don't allow that, I order from BJs. Their cakes are only $1 more and you have a choice of about 100 designs, even licensed characters. My son's last party was Lego themed but they didn't have a lego cake so we asked them to make it plain with just a border around the top. We put on marshmallows and spray painted it blue to look like a lego block. BJs was super nice about the unusual request. Costco would have said no.

Thanks guys!
We have a BJ's membership too so I'll give their cakes a try! Bummer though, I do love those Costco cakes!

Walmart actually has a pretty decent cake. I bought there when I needed a huge one for DH's birthday.

Sheila

I used to order Costco cakes and cupcakes and was happy with them. Two years ago for my girls' friends birthday party, I asked to order vanilla cupcakes only (the selection was half chocolate and half vanilla) which I had done in the past. I had to get special permission from a manager to do so. This year I went to order cupcakes again and found out that Costco no longer offers cupcakes. As a previous poster mentioned, you can't even customize you fillings and icing on the sheet cakes. A chocolate cake has chocolate filling and frosting while a white cake has cream cheese filling and vanilla frosting. I ended up ordering a vanilla cake. The filling was awful, it tasted funny. So, the next day I returned the half eaten cake to the store and got my money back. I was slightly embarrassed to do so but it wasnt up to par. I will never order from them again!

Regarding the original topic, I would not expect my Costo to do a custom cake design. If I wanted a custom cake design, I would go to a local bakery. Costco is like a cake-making factory and I can understand why they would not honor the request.

Regarding the quality of the cakes, I purchased one in June for my sister's grad party and we got rave reviews. I did notice that you couldn't pick the filling, cake and frosting separately and that was a disappointment.

Didn't they used to offer a whipped topping frosting? I didn't even see that on the order form anymore.

Didn't they used to offer a whipped topping frosting? I didn't even see that on the order form anymore.

I don't think they offer that any more, either. BJs does. I'm not a frosting girl but that BJs whipped cream frosting was so good that I found myself taking fingers full of it. My family found out by looking at my blue mouth and lips :)

I went to Bj's today and they had a spiderman cake. So I ordered a 1/4 sheet which is more reasonable than getting a 1/2 sheet at Costco anyway. Otherwise I'll just eat more cake than I should :rotfl:.

It was $14.99.

I went to Bj's today and they had a spiderman cake. So I ordered a 1/4 sheet which is more reasonable than getting a 1/2 sheet at Costco anyway. Otherwise I'll just eat more cake than I should :rotfl:.

It was $14.99.

Enjoy it!

At my Costco I have recently ordered a chocolate cake with white frosting, I just talked to someone in the bakery and wrote it down on the little slip, I also had them do it without any writing on it since it was for a boy scout event none of their designs were appropriate I just did a design on it myself at home. I have also ordered the cake with no frosting on it and then they bag the frosting on the side so I can make it any color I would like, which makes it custom. I guess it depends on each individual Costco, I have been surprised at how accommodating mine has been.

man i loved their cupcakes. they had premade ones available around valentines day. bought them and we hoarded them in the freezer for a few weeks.
i got a baby shower cake their recently an asked about changing the colors because i wanted pastels. she told me to write on the slip that i wanted pastel colors--and they did it. the cake looked great and matched the other stuff for the shower.
i've never tried to get more customized... but this is good to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter