Custom Cakes and Food Allergies questions

atmail35

Mouseketeer
We are going the week after DD's birthday and I would love to order a cake for her and have it delivered. She has peanut and treenut allergies. To be honest, I'm pretty careful and don't order bakery cakes here b/c most bakeries won't guarantee it is nut free (could have cross-contamination etc).

So I'm wondering if anyone w/ nut allergies has had success in ordering a custom cake?

Could/would they take special care to avoid cross-contamination if they knew in advance? I'm wondering if it is worth investigating. After looking at a few pages of the cake thread, it really made me want to get a cake for her!

Thanks!

If you contact special diets, they can tell you where to call. Both times we had it done, it was for a restaurant meal and the chef did it. The first one was wildly successful. The second one wasn't as much because the chef didn't have as good a handle on the dairy-free aspect. However, the peanut/nut free didn't throw them. I believe they usually use an allergen free mix. I'd just ask for more details as to how it will be done and see if you talk to the chef.

They have a special allergy cake now that is frozen and defrosted. It's nothing special or tasty though. It's like a lot of the special allergy products that they use that are free of so many allergans they just don't taste that good. We were able to get the allergy safe cake for any of the WDW restaurants and I think it was around $20 and they needed a few dys notice to make sure it was in stock and defrosted. It has no special decorations and they could not add to it.

They have a special allergy cake now that is frozen and defrosted. It's nothing special or tasty though. It's like a lot of the special allergy products that they use that are free of so many allergans they just don't taste that good. We were able to get the allergy safe cake for any of the WDW restaurants and I think it was around $20 and they needed a few dys notice to make sure it was in stock and defrosted. It has no special decorations and they could not add to it.

I ordered a cake that was gluten free/dairy free from the Wilderness Lodge in 2009, and it was not bad. As was mentioned, no special decorations were on it, or could be added. They did have a "celebrate today" sugar decoration on it, and I thought it was white chocolate at first and had to call the chefs, but found out it was sugar. It tasted ok. Nothing super great, but still good.

I would highly recommend going to Babycakes at DTD for gluten free/dairy free. I was going to get a cake to bring home from my trip last week, but didn't end up having enough time (24 hours), but they can do it. I ended up w/cupcakes instead. You get the cake and frosting on the side in a container if you aren't getting it for on property. (because it is coconut based and will melt). I can't recall if coconut counts on the tree nut allergy--and I'm not sure as far as on nut allergy.

I would recommend the ones from special diets if you can...I believe they are tree nut and peanut free.

We successfully ordered a custom cake dining at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. I first contacted special diets to see if it was a possibility. I didn't want the allergen cake they offer because my DD was only tree nut allergic and not gluten and/or dairy.

They put me in touch with the pasty chef at Contemporay. He e-mailed me and we was more than helpful in answering my questions about ingredients and cross contamination.

We ended up with a delicious chocolate (yes chocolate) cake and edible image of Minnie Mouse.

They had it in a box with our name and allergies listed on it ready for our dining reservation.

My daughter was SO excited to finally get a birthday cake that we didn't have to make!

I'll try to look for his name and/or e-mail if I still have it.

If anyone else has info on getting a birthday cake at disney I would love the info. It sounds like we want to stay away from the special diets cake... my son has a peanut/treenut allergy. We will be at Disney in October with my niece who is turning 5 and it will be her first trip. So we want a fantastic cake, but one that my son will be able to eat too.. We haven't decided on where we will be eating yet, so maybe that should be our first step, or maybe if anyone has a good recommendation on a restaurant that was helpful with the cake we would go in that direction instead!

Check out the baby cakes web site but I am pretty sure they can not assure their products are nut free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter