Current Youth Activities CM -- Ask me anything!

Yes, so I'm trying to keep myself occupied instead of staying in bed! My deck privileges have been taken away since I'm considered too contagious still. I'm living on some very limited room service of rice and crackers and apple juice right now! (Not allowed to have the guest stuff down here!) :(

Sending lots of get well pixie dust!!! I hope you're feeling better soon :(

CMontheseas....I hope you are drinking lots of fluids and feel better soon! It's terrible to be confined to your cabin!

Your illness brings up some questions for me:
When someone on the ship gets sick, what precautions does Disney take besides quarantine? If it is a staff member that comes in contact with other people regularly, do they Chlorox your work space?

I'm sorry you're sick. It's horrible to be sick, but especially when you are away from home.

Yes, so I'm trying to keep myself occupied instead of staying in bed! My deck privileges have been taken away since I'm considered too contagious still. I'm living on some very limited room service of rice and crackers and apple juice right now! (Not allowed to have the guest stuff down here!) :(

I just wanted to say thanks for all this great information, and that I *love* your signature graphic. :)

Feel better soon!

I enjoyed SO much reading your answers! I will definitely give some chocolate treats for the crew members!

I'm from Brazil and there are two kids in my group (both age 6) that will probably really want to join their age club. We have done some previous cruises in Brazil (with Royal Caribbean) and both kids have enjoyed it A LOT. This is our first cruise out of Brazil and none of them speak English (only some random words like animal names, greetings or the alphabet). I would like to know if they are allowed on the kids club, since they won't be able to really communicate with most crew members and if you think they will enjoy being there. They are both really extroverted kids, but i'm not sure if the activities will be enjoyable for them. Have you had this problem before? Are there any Portuguese speakers on the cruise?

Thank you for your help!

Hello :) You mentioned above something about a filming activity. Could you elaborate what that's about? My daughter is 11 and my nephew is 12, and this sounds like something that they would LOVE!!!

Thanks!!

Thank you so much for this thread and sharing yourself with us. The insight and advice has been wonderful. I have such a better perspective on the lives of the CMs, and I am rather disappointed on several issues (hungry at night and no access to food!)

I wondered if you had advice for my son who will be 12. He is very shy and uncertain of things that are new. I would be fine if he didn’t want to go to the youth areas, but the thing is that he WANTS to go (he has even been reading the Edge activities on old navigators.) Unfortunately, the idea of being in a room full of strangers (even his age) is very difficult for him.

I suggested that he meet another child through the DIS boards cruise meets pre-cruise, but he felt awkward. I also suggested that he attend on the first evening when everyone is new and no one has made friends yet. But do you have any other advice for him?

Thank you again, and regardless of whether he ends up attending the youth spaces, he wants to drop-off goodies for the Counselors!
Hope you feel better soon!

I did try to read through all 55+ pages of this thread and the FAQs, so I apologize if you've already answered a question like this one.

My 7 year old daughter has a very hard time making new friends. Not shy, exactly, but very low self-esteem (we're working on it!). She never wanted to spend time in the club on the Fantasy last year but I didn't find out until the end of the cruise that it was because she hadn't been able to make friends with anyone, fellow kids or counselors and just felt invisible the whole time.

Can you offer me any suggestions for making her time in the club on our upcoming cruise on the Magic more fun for her? I'm thinking 'make sure she goes to the first activity' at the club but I'm not sure how to help her not feel lost in the crowd. It doesn't help that her "sad and left out" face looks an awful lot like a "this is stupid" face so it doesn't encourage people to ask her to join in.

What a great thread, thanks CM! Sorry if any of these are repeat questions, I tried to read through but this was a long thread!

When we cruise my DS will be 3. I saw it mentioned earlier 3+ don't have to be potty trained but you'll take under 3 if potty trained and can communicate their needs. My DS will be 3 but has a speech delay (possible autism as well) and I do worry about his ability to communicate if he wants to leave. If we even leave him in the first place we would probably be checking on him frequently since he likely won't be potty trained. But if he is uncomfortable being there alone d/t his communication and sensory issues are there any circumstances in which they allow parents to stay outside of open house times? I'm thinking since this is only a 3 night cruise we'll be able to get away with only visiting during open house but I want to know our options, in case he ends up wanting to be at the club all the time.

I also saw on here about these Mickey bands... Is that something the child only needs to wear if he is left alone at the club? Due to his sensory issues I can see getting him to wear that could be difficult. If he only came with us during open house would he ever need to wear it?

If we are going to have to limit to only going during open house times, I saw a navigator online for a 3-night Bahamas cruise but our cruise is not for several months. Do they typically stick to the same schedule? Just trying to find out so we can plan excursions or touring Nassau on our own accordingly. When you are able to choose excursions do they tell you what time they will occur? Thanks for any insight!

When we cruise my DS will be 3. I saw it mentioned earlier 3+ don't have to be potty trained but you'll take under 3 if potty trained and can communicate their needs.

I don't think that's correct. Everyone has to be completely potty-independent, over 3 as well as under 3. If your child has an accident you will be paged to deal with it and if they have too many accidents they won't be allowed back in the club regardless of age. I found they were pretty generous about giving second/third/fourth chances especially if it was clear it was a "too involved in an activity to make it to the potty in time" accident as opposed to a "not really potty trained" accident.

I also saw on here about these Mickey bands... Is that something the child only needs to wear if he is left alone at the club? Due to his sensory issues I can see getting him to wear that could be difficult. If he only came with us during open house would he ever need to wear it?

We just returned from a New Year's eve cruise on the Wonder and this is our experience with the Mickey bands. We have 3 kids: 15, 12 and 7. All of us got sea sick at one time or another so the first time we set foot in a kids' club was the 3rd day of the cruise when we ported in Cozumel. My 15 year old son had gone ashore for an excursion with my sister and my husband and 7 year old daughter (those hit hardest by the motion) felt well enough to get up and about. I took my daughter by the Oceaneer Club and registered her. It was an Open House but since we were in port, the club was completely empty. It did allow us the chance to walk though the club to look at things and I had a nice chat with Mike (from Virginia). Mike put the Mickey band on my daughter but a few hours later, she complained it was too tight so I cut it off. When I dropped her off at the club that night for crafts, they were able to print a new band without a problem. Later, she complained again about the band so we cut it off again and the last night of the cruise we dropped her off for an hour or so that evening and they printed another band. I registered my 12 year old son for Oceaneer/Lab at the same time but he never went in either club. He did stay in Edge for about an hour one afternoon. As far as I know, my 15 year old son never set foot in Vibe despite my encouragement. I thought our kids would use the clubs more and maybe they would have if no one had gotten sick.

katiefried, I don't think you need to register and get a band if you are never going to leave your son unattended. But if the club isn't busy, it wouldn't hurt to get the band just in case. But make sure you remember to turn it in the last night of the cruise to avoid being charged the $50. If it is very unlikely your son will stay in the club without you, then I wouldn't bother getting the band (if they don't require it for an open house).

What a great thread, thanks CM! Sorry if any of these are repeat questions, I tried to read through but this was a long thread!

When we cruise my DS will be 3. I saw it mentioned earlier 3+ don't have to be potty trained but you'll take under 3 if potty trained and can communicate their needs. My DS will be 3 but has a speech delay (possible autism as well) and I do worry about his ability to communicate if he wants to leave. If we even leave him in the first place we would probably be checking on him frequently since he likely won't be potty trained. But if he is uncomfortable being there alone d/t his communication and sensory issues are there any circumstances in which they allow parents to stay outside of open house times? I'm thinking since this is only a 3 night cruise we'll be able to get away with only visiting during open house but I want to know our options, in case he ends up wanting to be at the club all the time.

If we are going to have to limit to only going during open house times, I saw a navigator online for a 3-night Bahamas cruise but our cruise is not for several months. Do they typically stick to the same schedule? Just trying to find out so we can plan excursions or touring Nassau on our own accordingly. When you are able to choose excursions do they tell you what time they will occur? Thanks for any insight!

Another Mom who's child had a speech delay gave their child a note to hand to the Youth Counselor that said to please call their parent.
Not sure if this would work for your child, but maybe :)

The new Mickey bands that are used on the Magic, and currently being introduced on the other ships, have a snap that allows you to remove them without cutting now. They are similar to the bands used in the parks now.

The new Mickey bands that are used on the Magic, and currently being introduced on the other ships, have a snap that allows you to remove them without cutting now. They are similar to the bands used in the parks now.

That type of band sounds ideal! Great to know for future cruises. But at this point, after being so seasick, my 7 year old daughter says she never wants to cruise again!

Thank you SOOO much for the advice and tips.

I have a rediculous questions. I am a HUGE germaphobe. I have cancer and am immune comprimised and suddenly have become very weary of germs.

Can I ask what you guys do to clean the kids clubs? Do you bleach? Use some other hospital grade cleaner? How often do you clean?

Thank you sooo much!

That's cool, the cut off one sounded like such a waste, I'm sure our kid isn't the only one that would have been begging to have it removed every night.

Can I ask what you guys do to clean the kids clubs? Do you bleach? Use some other hospital grade cleaner? How often do you clean?

Thank you sooo much!

Somewhere in this thread I think the CM described that they bleach down every surface every night after the club is closed down. If not here, it is in another thread where she has responded.

That's cool, the cut off one sounded like such a waste, I'm sure our kid isn't the only one that would have been begging to have it removed every night.

I carried small scissors with me to cut them off every time we picked the kids up. Besides them not liking the way they felt, I didn't want them in the $$$ pictures.

When you are not able to work due to illness, do you use "sick days" and get paid, or do you not get paid?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter