Current policies about living offsite for DCP?

progroupie

Mouseketeer
I did the DCP in 2005 and 2007.
I really want to get back in with the company and I honestly think my best course of action is with the college program, I really didn't take advantage of the networking opportunities that were available and I can see that now looking at the friends I have who have moved on through the ranks and are in management and have 10 years with the company, etc.
I don't mind the concept of being a CP again, I figure I can choose a short program and not a lengthy advantage one and then if everything goes as planned move into fulltime/part time/seasonal/whatever I can get or even a professional internship if I could get that kind of opportunity.
However I'm 30 years old now and I've been out of the college lifestyle for awhile despite being enrolled in classes. I did the CP living experience, twice even, and I have to say I had a very good time. (Which explains why I wasn't all gung ho career focused back then!) But what was great at 21 sounds like an awful idea to me now. And from what I've read they're packing them in 3 to a room now and using bunk beds even.
I know they've built new apartment buildings and things have changed, but how much? They still don't offer one bedrooms where you can live alone? I have heard they're more relaxed on letting you live offsite? It was practically unheard of when I was there, I think I knew one girl who was allowed to participate in the program and stay in her dorm at UCF and one guy who was able to live with an older brother. That was it, living anywhere other than the apartments was not an option unless your circumstances were extreme. I still have a lot of friends in Orlando, finding an affordable place to live nearby would not be difficult for me at all even on CP pay.
Anyone have recent experience in this?

You can stay offsite but you have to provide them the address of where you will be staying before the deposit is due. If they don't accept it you still have to pay the deposit then inform them you are living off site and officiall move out. I've heard it is a process.

There are still no one brooms where you are on your own.

I went to the website and it seems like they don't even do the 1 bedroom/2 people apartments anymore?
I feel like I remember visiting a coworker in her 1 bedroom at Chatham? Did this have change in a remodel or something?
If I lived onsite I'd want the least amount of roommates possible, it's been years since I've has more than one roommate living on the opposite end of a regular sized apartment from me. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to seem like a diva, I'm not worried about long bubble baths or my privacy, this time around I'm just looking at the CP as means to an end and not an "experience" so I want as little distraction as possible.
I've been having rehire issues despite having never been terminated and I've been offered a position twice (same as my last CP position, character performer) and my restricted rehire wasn't lifted either time.

Devils advocate here: wouldn't you be a bit lonely? After all 10 years is a big,huge difference in maturity, responsibility and party levels. Know many of us "dream" about reliving our college youth, but do you really, truly want to live with "kids?" I think finding your own place off property would be the way to go. And I can only imagine the girls moving in and rock-paper-scissors to see who lives with "the old lady!"

I'm afraid you misunderstood my post, my plan would be to live off property but worst case scenario I don't think having one roommate would be an unlivable situation.

I still look very young and I have no doubt I'd blend in with college kids just fine as far as that goes and the difference wouldn't be noticeable to most. I don't stick out on campus or in classes and my coworkers and classmates always say things like, "But I thought you were my age?".

If I were "forced" to live on property I think I could make it bearable as I have friends in the area my own age to spend time with I wouldn't be stuck in the apartment, it just isn't my preference but it's so hard to tell what Disney will and won't approve at any given time.

Have you thought about just applying for a part time or full time position instead of doing the CP? I know of many people who have a good history with the company who were able to move and take a position with out having to do the CP again.

I have and I'm about to call a manager and see what they recommend.
I don't understand what my standing with the company is to be honest which is one of my problems and one reason I'm even considering the college program.
I was never terminated. I finished both programs as scheduled. I didn't have a perfect record card either time but nothing major, a few call outs and and an attendance reprimand and I remember getting a reprimand once or twice for minor stuff like forgetting a costume piece (as a character performer) and getting to my area and ending up late for a set because I had to go back to costuming. But those might have even been verbal I don't remember, I just know they were treated lightly.
When I left in 2007 I found out I had restricted rehire. Casting acted like it was very common to be given restricted rehire and that it could be fixed easily.
But I was turned down twice even though I had the requirements of 6+months of employment both times. They never gave me a reason why because obviously they don't have to but I'm starting to wonder if it's just something incredibly minor like making a mistake in the application or if I accidently never turned in a pair of socks. I don't think anyone has it out for me personally but I think there's a snag somewhere.
I think getting rehire may be easier as a CP because they accept so many students and the pay rate is lower and they're getting whatever kickbacks it is they get from the subsidized housing. Applying as a CP just isn't something I've tried yet when trying to get my rehire.

I have and I'm about to call a manager and see what they recommend.
I don't understand what my standing with the company is to be honest which is one of my problems and one reason I'm even considering the college program.
I was never terminated. I finished both programs as scheduled. I didn't have a perfect record card either time but nothing major, a few call outs and and an attendance reprimand and I remember getting a reprimand once or twice for minor stuff like forgetting a costume piece (as a character performer) and getting to my area and ending up late for a set because I had to go back to costuming. But those might have even been verbal I don't remember, I just know they were treated lightly.
When I left in 2007 I found out I had restricted rehire. Casting acted like it was very common to be given restricted rehire and that it could be fixed easily.
But I was turned down twice even though I had the requirements of 6+months of employment both times. They never gave me a reason why because obviously they don't have to but I'm starting to wonder if it's just something incredibly minor like making a mistake in the application or if I accidently never turned in a pair of socks. I don't think anyone has it out for me personally but I think there's a snag somewhere.
I think getting rehire may be easier as a CP because they accept so many students and the pay rate is lower and they're getting whatever kickbacks it is they get from the subsidized housing. Applying as a CP just isn't something I've tried yet when trying to get my rehire.

If you have a restricted rehire it will come up as a CP as well. It is interesting that they won't tell you what you need to get off of restricted rehire. They will usually tell you what you need to do to get rid of the restricted rehire.

They told me what I needed to do, just the regular form and having more than 6 months job stability.
I also went through an extra interview.
I received a letter denying my request to have my status lifted and that's where they didn't explain anything about why it wasn't lifted.
I know it will still be restricted with the CP I'm just wondering if they're more likely to lift it for a CP applicant.
I'm also considering applying for a role other than my last role of character performer to see if that would be a better way to get it lifted. I think maybe entertainment is more difficult to have rehire lifted?
I could tough out 6 months in one of the roles like QSR where they're always desperate for CM's and then audition and transfer.
I'm really trying to be flexible because my ultimate goal is to be back in entertainment but I'm willing to do other things to get there.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's easier to get into the CP as a restricted rehire than it is to get into a regular PT/FT position as one. I was a restricted rehire because I left a seasonal Disney Store job prior to the end of the seasonal contract. I applied for the CP 3 times, and was turned down each time, despite good interviews.

I was hired as part-time after coming to 2 in-person interviews and bringing my recruiter my W2s and pay stubs from another job I held for the 6+ months they require - I also brought a letter of recommendation from that employer, and a rather good cover letter (if I do say so myself).

I was told before my rehire that the original RR status will always remain on my record and that if I leave the company again it will be converted to a no-rehire.

I don't know about Entertainment - I've never worked in that area and would be a horrible choice for it - but you may be right about them being a bit more choosy.

Hm, I wonder if a W-2 would help.
I obviously listed my job on the application but they never asked for any proof other than a letter on company letter head stating my hire date.
One thing that's occured to me is that when I've done my applications I've always had a part time job along with my fulltime longterm job. I'm worried that maybe these little seasonal or short term jobs are hurting me.
But without anyone explaining the problem to me I don't know what's wrong with my applications.

in regards to living off site, this past summer/fall, there was a huge thing where they accepted extenders for fall if they could find offsite housing. it was because of them housing the shanghai employees. some people got housing and some didn't. the ones that did get housing, their program ends in dec and the ones who did not, their program ends in jan. it's no big deal though. you'll get an ID that says OFF and you won't be able to get into the complexes unless someone signs you in OR you're going for an event. plus it's always nice to get those FT hours and not have rent come out of your check every week.

they still have 1 bedroom, 2 people; my friends lived in one. there are are even 1 bedroom, 3 people now. some rooms are 2 bedrooms, 6 people. 1 bunk bed and 1 regular bed. or 2 bedrooms, 5 people. vista way is the only complex withOUT the bunk beds.

i also did my last CP in 2007! woot woot. i'm 28 now and have gone PT after being denied my extension

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter