Current Member Add on pts.

Dizny

Just sitting and lurking :D
We are thinking of either buying a resale or adding points. I know we can add to our current DVC membership, but I am confused. We currently own @ AKL- Kidani Village. If we wish to add points, do we have to add it to AKL or can we add to a new villa? And if we can add it to a new villa, say Beach Club, do we then have the same availability as owners of BC Villas?
I hope this makes sense and someone can answer our question.
TIA! :thumbsup2
Karyn

You can add on any resort through Disney. If you add on at BCV you will have two separate resorts at which you have home resort advantage but you cannot mix the points at 11 months out. Only BCV points can be used 11 months out at BCV and only AKV points can be used 11 months out at AKV regardless of whether you own at both.

Be aware that last March, Disney limited the use of points through resales on the secondary market. If you are only going to use your additional points to stay at the resorts, you should not be affected, but I do know that use of resale points for DCL (cruises) is no longer allowed if those points were purchased outside of Disney.
All in all we decided to add through Disney bc we love the cruises.

We own at BLT and are in the process of buying BWV. Since we went with a different UY, we will have two membership.

If you add on via resale at a different resort, it is easier to keep the same UY so that it will stay the same membership (providing you title it the same way).

If you do that, then you can combine the points at the 7 month mark for a single night without issue.

As mentioned, owning at different resorts would give you the home resort advantage to use those points (and any banked/borrowed) at that resort but you can not combine them until the 7 month.

Some do this so they can alternate every other year--ie: own 150 at AKV and BCV. They bank AKV and borrow BCV in year 1 so they can book with 300 points at BCV that year and then they next year, they would have 300 AKV points to use.

You can add on any resort through Disney. If you add on at BCV you will have two separate resorts at which you have home resort advantage but you cannot mix the points at 11 months out. Only BCV points can be used 11 months out at BCV and only AKV points can be used 11 months out at AKV regardless of whether you own at both.

What if the same "use month" is the same? I.E. AKV is in Dec, if we buy BVC at Dec can we combine points?
Thanks for answeing my questions.;)

We own at BLT and are in the process of buying BWV. Since we went with a different UY, we will have two membership.

If you add on via resale at a different resort, it is easier to keep the same UY so that it will stay the same membership (providing you title it the same way).

If you do that, then you can combine the points at the 7 month mark for a single night without issue.

As mentioned, owning at different resorts would give you the home resort advantage to use those points (and any banked/borrowed) at that resort but you can not combine them until the 7 month.

Some do this so they can alternate every other year--ie: own 150 at AKV and BCV. They bank AKV and borrow BCV in year 1 so they can book with 300 points at BCV that year and then they next year, they would have 300 AKV points to use.

OM goodness! Thank you for explaining this! Now I completely understand why people have more than one membership. :cool1:

What if the same "use month" is the same? I.E. AKV is in Dec, if we buy BVC at Dec can we combine points?

as sandi said, you can combine pts at 7 months if your 2 separate home resort contracts have the same UY month.

if you buy contracts with different UY months, you have to keep track of the separate banking windows and you cannot combine pts at all (although if you are willing to use up your once-per-year transfer for both contracts, you can then combine the transferred pts at 11 months out if they are the same resort or at 7 months out if they are different home resorts.)

but there is no way to buy pts at resort B to use at resort A at 11 months out. whether the pts are banked, borrowed, current or transferred in, they need to be at resort A to book resort A at 11 months out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter