Current fridge status

That sucks......we check in on Monday and one of the reasons we selected a moderate resort was the fact that the rooms are advertised with refrigerators.
If I did not check on this board when was the Mouse going to share this info!

He wasn't....that's the worst part! I still can't believe they haven't notified any guests.

That sucks......we check into PORFQ on Monday and one of the reasons we selected a moderate resort was the fact that the rooms are advertised with refrigerators. Have three rooms and some special dietary needs in one room. Any suggestions?
If I did not check on this board when was the Mouse going to share this wonderful info!

Contact POFQ and let them know you require a fridge for special dietary purposes. I can't see why this would be treated any differently to a medical requirement for a fridge. Given that you are checking in so soon, I'd personally call them, rather than email.

From everything I've seen, none of the DVC properties are affected. In the one bedroom and larger villas, at all DVC resorts, the refrigerators are normal kitchen-sized . The ones they are swapping out, are the small ones usually found in a cabinet in the regular hotel rooms.

good to know! thanks!

I just got an email regarding the fridge situation at POR. Here is the reply I got.

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We have discovered a possible issue with one of the refrigerator models
that is widely used in our Guest rooms at certain Walt Disney World
Resort hotels.

Because of the possible issue, we will disable use of the impacted
refrigerators by unplugging the refrigerators, binding the electrical
cord, tagging the cord with a “do not use” label and placing a Guest
letter on the refrigerator.

We are working to procure replacement refrigerators quickly, but this
could take several months to accomplish. We appreciate that many guests
use these refrigerators regularly and we do have a limited number of
replacements on hand. Should you have a particular need for a
refrigerator for your stay, please contact us at 407-934-7639 to have
the request noted on your reservation.

We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

He wasn't....that's the worst part! I still can't believe they haven't notified any guests.
STRAIGHT FROM THE MOUSE'S MOUTH!

Just spoke to the desk in PORFQ and was told that POR/PORFQ has been
affected by loss of refrigerators. They took my request but indicated there is no guarantee at check in.

I then called reservations and they were no help. I asked if there was any compensation if your room was without
a refrigerator and was given no real response other than to email complaints to:wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Also no response as to why guests had to learn about this from a third party.............AND......"have a magical day."

Guess I'll stop off and get a couple of styrofoam coolers just in case.....The Mouse still provides free ice????

I just got an email regarding the fridge situation at POR. Here is the reply I got.

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We have discovered a possible issue with one of the refrigerator models
that is widely used in our Guest rooms at certain Walt Disney World
Resort hotels.

Because of the possible issue, we will disable use of the impacted
refrigerators by unplugging the refrigerators, binding the electrical
cord, tagging the cord with a “do not use” label and placing a Guest
letter on the refrigerator.

We are working to procure replacement refrigerators quickly, but this
could take several months to accomplish. We appreciate that many guests
use these refrigerators regularly and we do have a limited number of
replacements on hand. Should you have a particular need for a
refrigerator for your stay, please contact us at 407-934-7639 to have
the request noted on your reservation.

We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

I guess late is better than never.

When is your stay if you don't mind? Just wondering how far out they are planning on it possibly taking to replace.

I find it weird that if this is a safety precaution why they are leaving them in the rooms at all. I understand that with that warning they probably wouldn't be liable if damages occurred but why take the chance. People do stupid and rebellious things everyday unless the cord is tied in a manner that would not allow it to happen I can imagine "some" people still trying to plug it in and use it. Especially since most received no notice at all.

When is your stay if you don't mind? Just wondering how far out they are planning on it possibly taking to replace.

I find it weird that if this is a safety precaution why they are leaving them in the rooms at all. I understand that with that warning they probably wouldn't be liable if damages occurred but why take the chance. People do stupid and rebellious things everyday unless the cord is tied in a manner that would not allow it to happen I can imagine "some" people still trying to plug it in and use it. Especially since most received no notice at all.

Because it's hard to find a place to store 18,000 fridges.

Do you think that they might replace them in order of the resorts? Like the CL will get them first, deluxe second, the moderates third, then value? Or, just luck of the draw?

Do you think that they might replace them in order of the resorts? Like the CL will get them first, deluxe second, the moderates third, then value? Or, just luck of the draw?

I think (don't actually know) that your guess will be correct... Deluxe, moderate, value. It does make sense. If I was paying $400 a night I would reeeeally expect a fridge. Even though I'm staying value this time (the girls are super excited about ASMusic) I can understand why they would be last since the cost is the least and they were the last to get them in the first place.

Our stay is 9/22- 9/29. I really wanted food and drinks in the room due to my son and myself both taking meds first thing in the morning with food. Not exactly a medical reason such as storing insulin but it would be easier than trekking to the food court to get him a cold drink every morning.

I simply cannot believe that Disney has not reached out to everyone by email or whatever notifying everyone of this. If I had no stumbled upon this on the forums, I would have had food delivered from garden grocer (much of it cold stuff) for 4 rooms and a party of 16 people. I would be utterly disappointed at Disney that I would have had to find out the hard way and cost wise it would be pretty substantial.

Bad customer service...

--Thor

True. Disney has not been proactive about notifying guests

Is it true they are charging for those who request them?
I'm sorry but NO!

You advertise a room and amenities and people pay for a trip and then show up and you take away an advertised item and try to charge them for it?

That is bait and switch and a flat out no no in contract law.

Even if they have broken refrigerators.
That is their problem.
That is the cost of doing business when something breaks.
They can't just upcharge you when you show up cause they have you cornered.
Not legit.
I'm highly disappointed hearing that they are charging $15 for an advertised amenity.
There should be zero charge for anyone who gets one or requests one.

That would be like going to get on the bus and them asking for bus fare each time.
I would also think they would save some of their reputation by at least giving each guest (even those without a dining plan) a free mug when they checked in.

I'm sorry but NO!

You advertise a room and amenities and people pay for a trip and then show up and you take away an advertised item and try to charge them for it?

That is their problem.
Not legit.
I'm highly disappointed hearing that they are charging $15 for an advertised amenity.

That would be like going to get on the bus and them asking for bus fare each time.
I would also think they would save some of their reputation by at least giving each guest (even those without a dining plan) a free mug when they checked in.

Where did you hear this???? I haven't heard a thing about them charging for the fridge. What I HAVE heard is that if you request one and they don't have one to give you, they're giving you a credit of $15 per night.

I'm sorry but NO!

That is their problem.
Not legit.

I'd also like to know where in the world you heard this. I heard the same thing that mom2AidanAndEli heard, which is that if you request a refrigerator and they're not able to provide one, you'll receive a $15 a night credit. And the refrigerators aren't broken, it's a manufacturer's defect. How in the world is that Disney's fault? I think you need to get your facts straight before you go on a rant.

Just returned home from Beach Club CL today :( we had a fridge & as far as I know, the entire CL had them

If you notice, my very FIRST statement is "IS IT TRUE THAT ...??"

I saw a few random comments about confusion on if they were going back to charging for the frig and that only those who requested and didn't get them got credit..etc.
There is a bunch of confusion regarding it and no real consistent answer.

As a lawyer, I was giving a bit of free advice IF someone encountered that so as not to be charged IF they encountered a cast member stating that.

So please read more clearly before scolding.
I go to Disney about every two or three weeks.
I have not encountered any frig issue on any recent trips.
I am a Disney Reviewer/Columnist.
I've not seen a press release on this particular issue or even any statement by the most noted blogs.
I was asking a question.
And I followed it with advice if someone encountered that and legally how that plays out. (as i saw one or two comments elsewhere questioning if people get money back and such. And we all know that situations change greatly depending on what cast member you may encounter.)

I'll be back there in 3 weeks and confirm things first hand.
I'll be CL so those may already be fixed by then, but I will be sure to ask about the other resorts.

I wasn't trying to start an argument.
Please relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter