• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Current AP/SP prices in SoCal for all the parks.

Darkbeer1

Theme Park Reporter and TV producer
In regards to the new DCA only AP at COSTCO, let's look at some other "options" locals have.

A basic Knott's pass is $90 with no blockout dates, with a 9 month payment plan. Their Premium including parking is $189 and covers all Cedar Fair parks, also with a 9 month payment plan. And you can add on a unlimited soda bottle and even an dining package at an extra charge.

Heck, right now, Six Flags is having its "Flash Sale", and you get the Gold Pass for the rest of this year, and all of 2017 for just $75 or about $6 a month including parking, and an extra $80 gives you sodas and a dining plan. That is Magic Mountain, Hurricane Harbor and the rest of the Six Flags parks.

Universal is just Hollywood, but a basic pass is $119 with a lot of blockout dates and ends March 1st, a Gold pass with only a few blockout dates and parking, and the new Platinum that includes Front of the Line access to all attractions and rides for $589.

And COSTCO has a USH deal...

>>Universal Studios Hollywood Annual Pass eTicket, California
Features:

Come any date on the first visit. 250 available days for return visits including 45-weekend days*. Valid for 12-Consecutive months from selected first visit date. Black-out dates apply for return visits. First visit must occur on or before 6/15/17. Universal City, California, Delivered via email.

$109.99<<

SeaWorld San Diego starts with a basic Season Pass at $80, and a Platinum that comes with parking and reserved seating for shows at $200 a year.

LEGOLAND is between $159 and $279.

Also look at the non-Theme Parks, such as the Aquarium of the Pacific, Queen Mary and San Diego Zoo options (I have all three).

So to me, I would look at the DLR Deluxe AP (Sorry, but the SoCal Select without weekends and summer just isn't worth it) at $599 and then compare all my options, and make a decision on where I live in SoCal, what type of park(s) I like to visit, and what would my budget allow. No way would I buy a DCA only pass, when for $270 more (less than half the DCA COSTCO deal, with the same discounts and blockout dates) I get the 2 park Deluxe.

My current passes include the Knott's Platinum with the soda options (but not dining)

Six Flags including the dining and soda package. (At the current deal, a no-brainer)

Universal and a SoCal version that is better than the current offer, and will have to make a decision in April 2017 as what to do next.

And a long term SeaWorld pass that is honored at a price point that doesn't increase with deal I got.

And a Castle Park pass (local place in Riverside that I have a soft spot for due to it being Bud Hurlbut's baby, heck I have an aerial photo of it when first opened that was in Bud's office until he passed).

To me, while I had one in the past, LEGOLAND isn't worth it, also had a Raging Waters that I didn't renew.

But it is competition for local's money, and to me, a DCA only pass, and then have to pay for parking, and deal with the traffic and crowds, let me grab a beer at the ESPN Zone or a sandwich at Earl of Sandwiches and get free parking for a few hours instead.

They aren't necessarily just for locals.

My son and I now have the Costco passes you mentioned. There's no discounts with them, and many blockout dates.

We just got DH to go, and while I was looking on Costco to find it I found that Costco has a GOLD pass, for $199.99. Dude! Buying direct it's something like $289. Includes parking (even on the first visit, which is different than in Orlando) and discounts on food/merchandise. SOLD. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter