Currency question for EBTA

The biggest problem is the amount needed...there is a daily limit for cash at an ATM, and we need much more than that doing several private tours. Anyone have any suggestion for that?
The daily limit is per account. Take ATM cards for different accounts.

Woody

I don't use ATM's, so that's out.

Why not?

In my experience in a dozen countries in Europe and even in Africa, the local ATM is the best place to get cash.

The rates are even better than USA banks since currency does not have to be shipped to the US.

Use the internet to locate the closest ATM. There's probably one in the port area.

-Paul

Why not?

In my experience in a dozen countries in Europe and even in Africa, the local ATM is the best place to get cash.

The rates are even better than USA banks since currency does not have to be shipped to the US.

Use the internet to locate the closest ATM. There's probably one in the port area.

-Paul

Well, as I posted, I am a late convert to debit and atm cards. Just too easy to forget to write in what you use it for I guess. With a check, I write it in before I write the check.
The big issue while traveling is your protections against theft and fraud are far less than with a credit card. While it is not impossible to dispute a fraudulent charged to you atm/debit card, it is signifigantly harder than with a credit card.
Bottom line, an ATM/Debit card is far less secure.
A co-worker of my wife had his identity stolen. They ran up $15,000 in charges on his credit card, and took $10,000 out of his checking account and the savings account linked to the card.
The credit card situation was cleared up and the charged removed within days. It took him 4 months to get he cash back, and the bank said he was lucky because they often can't refund all the cash stolen from an account.

I have been stressing out about the $$ situation for months. We have three private tours scheduled for our upcoming Med cruise and I think I may take Euro travelers checks to pay for the private tours and then bring Euro from home - though how much to budget is another story...ugh! I don't know why I can't get passed thinking that something may go wrong with my ATM card, CC etc... while I am there and I won't be able to obtain cash especially for the private tours which require either Euro or travelers checks.

I do have a Capital One card that I obtained just for this trip.

I love reading what everyone plans to do with this situation. Keep your opinions coming...

The daily limit is per account. Take ATM cards for different accounts.

Woody

Now that answer was way too simple for me to think of, lol. Perfect solution:) That way, also, if I alert a few companies rather than just one, if something goes wrong with the card I am covered.

When I went to Egypt, I did take several hundred and covert at the airport, but the rest of the trip ATMs were handy and I just used Capital One rather than my bank account. However, that was a mostly land trip (4 day Nile cruise but partial land still during that time) so ATMs were available. Being on a ship makes me a little more nervous about not being able to access ATMs, although I'm sure they are plentiful in places like Rome and Naples as opposed to places like Abu Simbel and Komombo:)

A few years ago I fell for Capital One's ads on TV about having no exchange fee for international purchases. While in Amsterdam, I primarily used the Capital One for that reason. I also used the Disney Visa for one purchase.

Yeah....they're going to get you one way or another. The Capital One charged no exchange fee (the Disney Visa did), but the exchange rate on the Disney was MUCH better than on the Capital One card. SO, they didn't charge me a set fee, they just gave me a crappy exchange rate.

A few years ago I fell for Capital One's ads on TV about having no exchange fee for international purchases. While in Amsterdam, I primarily used the Capital One for that reason. I also used the Disney Visa for one purchase.

Yeah....they're going to get you one way or another. The Capital One charged no exchange fee (the Disney Visa did), but the exchange rate on the Disney was MUCH better than on the Capital One card. SO, they didn't charge me a set fee, they just gave me a crappy exchange rate.

Well, that is very interesting.

I did look at the exchange rate for EGP for capital one, and they seemed very competitive. I wonder if it depends on the currency. I'd rather use my Disney Visa...did you find that the better exchange rate offset the fee the Disney Visa charged?

Yes, it basically came out the same on charges of about $100. Disney Visa charges a 3% exchange fee (per my bank last week), so it depends on the amount you are charging.

All I can say for sure is that based on charges made on the same day, there was a significant difference in the exchange rate the two cards gave. It wasn't a matter of pennies! My only caution is that this was a couple years ago.

Why not?

-Paul

1. Don't consider them safe - too many scams

2. Why would I pay to get at my own money when I can use a credit card for "free"?

Hate debit cards - I'll never have one.

Just my opinion.

The OP is on the EBTA, which arrives in Madiera on a Sunday. Banks will be closed.

Woody

I meant that part for in Gibraltar as for the EBTA it's the only port other then castaway cay that you will not be able to use euros in all places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter