Currency exchange??

briananddeb

Earning My Ears
Excited to be going on our second ever Disney cruise, a 13 night-14 day relocation cruise from Miami to Barcelona May 7 - 20 with several stops in between. My question ; is it possible to exchange U.S. dollars for euros on board? We'll need the euros for our port adventures, overnight stay in Barcelona, etc. Thanks.
P.S. Did I mention we're excited??!?

I've never heard of money exchange on board. We usually get $100-200 exchanged before we leave the states (call your bank). Or, we use an ATM in country for best exchange rate. Make sure your credit card is chipped and let your bank know where you are going. Everyone takes cards there - you will only need cash for tips. Charged transactions should be in Euro for best rate.

Excited to be going on our second ever Disney cruise, a 13 night-14 day relocation cruise from Miami to Barcelona May 7 - 20 with several stops in between. My question ; is it possible to exchange U.S. dollars for euros on board? We'll need the euros for our port adventures, overnight stay in Barcelona, etc. Thanks.
You can always use a debit card at an ATM at the first port of call to get local currency. We use a credit-union-issued debit card that has no foreign exchange fee and refunds any transaction fees for out-of-network cash withdrawals. I’ve obtained Canadian dollars, British pounds, and euros on various cruises without difficulty. That includes Ponta Delgada, which I believe is the first foreign port you will visit on the EBTA cruise this May.

That said, someone may be able to report on the possibility of exchanging US dollars for euros at Guest Services onboard the ship. I know that was possible when we first did a Mediterrainean cruise on the Magic back in 2014.

Also, let your bank know if you don't normally travel. My husband went to the Maldives for work and they flagged his credit card purchase as fraud (his card/my account). Thankfully, I happened to have my phone close at hand when they contacted me. Obviously Spain and Europe is not quite as uncommon, but it still helps.

Also, let your bank know if you don't normally travel. My husband went to the Maldives for work and they flagged his credit card purchase as fraud (his card/my account). Thankfully, I happened to have my phone close at hand when they contacted me. Obviously Spain and Europe is not quite as uncommon, but it still helps.
Yes, definitely do this. We travel with a primary card that we plan to use and a secondary card as backup. DW carries a different backup card. We also carry multiple debit cards (hers, mine, and ours where ours is primary). All of our card issuers have an online form for international travel that we complete prior to leaving home. It‘s much better to plan ahead, since the card issuer may immediately block the card if they detect suspicious activity, perhaps sending out a text or email message or calling to alert the user.

Yes, you can exchange US for Euros onboard. Be aware the exchange rate stinks. If you can wait, you can hit an ATM once in Europe to get Euros at a better exchange rate.

You can also purchase Euros from your bank (or credit union) ahead of time. That's what we do so we have a little bit for immediate use, if we need it.

When using ATMs always do the transaction in local currency. The ATM will give you the option of doing the exchange in dollars, but will charge a ridiculous fee and will not give you the best exchange rate. If you have a travel card with no foreign transaction fee use that instead of cash. Using your CC will always get you the best exchange rate. You can probably get away without using much cash. On our recent trip to France and Spain I was able to make due getting a few hundred Euros from an ATM as needed, and I used our Chase card for everything else.

In general, is the exchange rate from your bank at home comparable to that from an ATM in the place of travel?

In general, is the exchange rate from your bank at home comparable to that from an ATM in the place of travel?
Perhaps not. My bank outsources foreign currency exchange for consumers who want to purchase foreign currencies in advance of trips to Travelex, the same people who operate currency exchange booths at our local airports (O’Hare and Midway in Chicago), so not great rates. I assume that business customers doing large exchanges get much better rates. The exchange rates for credit and debit card transactions in foreign currencies are competitive except that the bank tacks on a 3% foreign exchange handling fee. As a result, we now instead use credit and debit cards issued by our credit union, where we maintain small savings and checking accounts. They do not charge any foreign exchange fees and also refund any debit card ATM fees for using an out-of-network ATMs. Our usual bank debit and Disney Chase credit cards are our backup cards when we travel out of the US.

Yes, you can exchange US for Euros onboard.
Just to reiterate, since I think this might get lost between longer posts.

Yes, you can exchange currency onboard the ship at Guest Services. The exchange rate is similar to what you'd get at any currency exchange desk. So, not great. But, this is a good option if you only need some pocket money for tips or small souvenirs. While I might not hesitate to use my credit card in Portugal or Spain, I definitely don't like using it in many other places that Disney sails to.

Thanks for the answers. We've got a debit card with a major bank that we'll use for larger purchases (no exchange handling fees) but I wanted some currency for tipping, small stuff, etc. Should be okay using Guest Services onboard currency exchange service. Glad to know Disney offers this. Once again, thanks to everyone who replied.

Thanks for the answers. We've got a debit card with a major bank that we'll use for larger purchases (no exchange handling fees) but I wanted some currency for tipping, small stuff, etc. Should be okay using Guest Services onboard currency exchange service. Glad to know Disney offers this. Once again, thanks to everyone who replied.
Just to restate, when using your debit card if given the option to pay in US Dollars - don't. Pay in the local currency.

We never use a debit card. If you misplace or lose a debit card the finder can wipe out whatever amount is on it or in some cases your entire savings account. Credit cards that are lost or stolen usually only make you responsible for the first $100 charge or even nothing like our Discover Card as long as you report it immediately. And nowadays you're usually required to call the card owners and give them detailed itineraries of where you'll be and when. We've traveled across the pond nine times now for land trips throughout western Europe and cruises and have always used credit cards wherever they're accepted. We've also usually purchased a small amount of local currency at our local bank ahead of time and larger amounts at railroad stations and banks while abroad. Also, guest services will exchange any remaining Euros/kroners etc. you return to the ship with back to dollars. That was very handy when we sailed on the Northern European cruise because of the different currencies of the Baltic countries. Oh, and while in Iceland we just used our credit card exclusively and tipped with dollars.

We never use a debit card. If you misplace or lose a debit card the finder can wipe out whatever amount is on it or in some cases your entire savings account. Credit cards that are lost or stolen usually only make you responsible for the first $100 charge or even nothing like our Discover Card as long as you report it immediately. And nowadays you're usually required to call the card owners and give them detailed itineraries of where you'll be and when. We've traveled across the pond nine times now for land trips throughout western Europe and cruises and have always used credit cards wherever they're accepted. We've also usually purchased a small amount of local currency at our local bank ahead of time and larger amounts at railroad stations and banks while abroad. Also, guest services will exchange any remaining Euros/kroners etc. you return to the ship with back to dollars. That was very handy when we sailed on the Northern European cruise because of the different currencies of the Baltic countries. Oh, and while in Iceland we just used our credit card exclusively and tipped with dollars.
I don't think your premise is correct regarding a lost or stolen debit card, assuming you report it in a timely manner. See the FTC web site for details: https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-debit-cards . With a timely report (defined as within 2 business days), you are only responsible for the first $50 on debit cards at most, and for $0 if you report the loss prior to when it is used. By the way, that is also the limit on credit cards, rather than the $100 you indicate.

Interestingly, both my Bank of America and Chase cards do NOT require (or accept) travel notifications anymore.
As long as you have a current phone and email with them, they will contact you if they "detect" fraud.

Interestingly, both my Bank of America and Chase cards do NOT require (or accept) travel notifications anymore.
As long as you have a current phone and email with them, they will contact you if they "detect" fraud.
While true, this can be a problem when traveling internationally. For example, Chase will send an email and/or text alert to your phone and you may need to respond in real time in order to authorize a suspect transaction for it to go through (I have had this happen while making a substantial down payment on a home renovation project, with the transaction blocked because it did not match my usual purchase pattern. Fortunately, I was able to respond immediately to an included link indicating that it was a legitimate charge, so the person processing the transaction could just put it through a second time to get it approved). That might not work if you are out of the country when it happens, unless you add a daily phone/internet option so you can receive emails and/or text messages (we use AT&Ts international plan that costs $10 per 24 hours whenever it is activated).

While true, this can be a problem when traveling internationally. For example, Chase will send an email and/or text alert to your phone and you may need to respond in real time in order to authorize a suspect transaction for it to go through (I have had this happen while making a substantial down payment on a home renovation project, with the transaction blocked because it did not match my usual purchase pattern. Fortunately, I was able to respond immediately to an included link indicating that it was a legitimate charge, so the person processing the transaction could just put it through a second time to get it approved). That might not work if you are out of the country when it happens, unless you add a daily phone/internet option so you can receive emails and/or text messages (we use AT&Ts international plan that costs $10 per 24 hours whenever it is activated).
And I thought of this, not sure how to handle it. My cell service doesn't include free international.... Guess I should be reachable while in port and pay the roaming and accept calls.
I do hope to use cash from an ATM and only use the VISAs for purchases I just can't live without :rolleyes: (if any!)
I think we will try to eat meals on the ship, so some cash for snacks...

we have always used US dollars for tips…the guides are happy to get them. If we are going to spend more days thsn we might exchange for euros at an ATm. We did the transAtlantic last year from Miami To Barcelona and spent an extra night in Barcelona. We never got euros. I took US dollars in 5, 10 and 20 for tips and we used credit cards for everything else.

Perhaps not. My bank outsources foreign currency exchange for consumers who want to purchase foreign currencies in advance of trips to Travelex, the same people who operate currency exchange booths at our local airports (O’Hare and Midway in Chicago), so not great rates. I assume that business customers doing large exchanges get much better rates. The exchange rates for credit and debit card transactions in foreign currencies are competitive except that the bank tacks on a 3% foreign exchange handling fee. As a result, we now instead use credit and debit cards issued by our credit union, where we maintain small savings and checking accounts. They do not charge any foreign exchange fees and also refund any debit card ATM fees for using an out-of-network ATMs. Our usual bank debit and Disney Chase credit cards are our backup cards when we travel out of the US.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for this information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter