Cuise Activities for 13 year old boy?

BuzzLightYear3

Mouseketeer
Hi....since they moved the 7-day cruise next Summer to the West Coast, we're delaying our first cruise to Summer of 2006. (So far away!) At that point, our oldest DS will be 13. I was really looking forward to taking him on the cruise because I thought he'd love hanging out in the Oceaneer Lab, but in 2006, he'll be too old for that by 1 month. Question is, what kind of activities do they have for 13 year old boys? I've read about the 'coffee house' for teens, and granted, I'm sure he'll change a lot over the next two years, but I just can't him imagine he'll be out of his video game stage by then, and I'm not sure he'll be outgoing enough to be socializing with the girls either. Certainly there have been other just-turned-13 boys as well though. What does DCL have to offer them as far as activities?

Well, there are lots of activities that would interest a 13yr old boy. Even if he doesn't want to hang out in the teen club, there is an arcade he can go to. There are ping pong tables on deck 9 (or I think it is deck 9). But the teen club has an itinerary for everyday, just like there is for everything! So there are lots of fun activities going on, and I'm sure he will find some activity to join!

I am sorry, I don't have an answer really. We went on our first cruise when DS was 12. He didn't want any part of that Oceaneers Club then. He said it looked "baby-ish". He preferred to do whatever we were doing. (DD was 17 then) Last summer he was 13, and no different. He could have gotten into the teen club, but had no interest. He did spend a little time in the arcade.

At home he is an outgoing, popular kid. He plays two sports, baseball and hockey, and does not lack for friends. Onboard he just wanted to be with the family.

Maybe if we had brought along one of his friends he might have ventured off on his own a little. But for our family cruises, he loved going to the deck parties, meals, movies, shows and dinners with all of us. He also loved snorkeling on CC.

Maybe your son will be the same.

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

We just returned today.:( We had an awesome time. We have a ds-13 and we barely saw him except for dinner, our island time and one show (We've been on before and have seen most).

He stayed up until 2 and 3 each night. Everytime I asked what they did, he said "stuff".

I'm not sure how much of the activities they did with the stack, but I know he went to hang out and then "cruise the ship".

I had originally asked him if he wanted to do the Teen Wild Side at CC. He said no, but of course once on board and he had met some kids going on it, he wanted to. Luckily, there were a few spots open. He had a blast.

We didn't mind him not being around. I know some people will think, but it's a family vacation. My dh and I teach in his school, and ds has been brought up during all our music rehearsals. Now we are all on summer break. We all needed a little rest from the 90% togetherness of home. LOL

Lorie

We were on the 3 day in April. My 13 yr old (as of January) was NOT ready for the coffeehouse and pleaded with me to try to get him into the 10-12 "lab". The staff at the sign-up were very flexible - no problem. I ended up having to drag him out of there when I wanted him. He played on the computer, made flubber, went on the bridge tour, found a girl that he hung out with off and on, had a great time!
I have to say he is still more of a "kid" than a teenager, not interested in sitting around a coffeehouse. But use your judgement and check out both places with him. They probably will give you the choice.

Linda55,

I had the same concerns with my son. We have gone the past two Junes on the Wonder (2002,2003) and my son was in the Lab. He had a great time even last year when he was 3 months shy of his 13th birthday.

He even asked if he could go back this year!! He loves the computers, and anything organized.

He has also been brought up since 6 weeks old with high school kids in our band. He has traveled on every band trip and football game etc. since he was 3, so he has a very good understanding of teens. He makes friends very quickly!

Sometimes the clubs, labs and/or the teen club are not for everyone. There will always be some who love it and some who don't. There is no way to please everyone.

Lorie

As with most things Disney the key words are "Talk to the CMs". If your son is just barely 13 talk to the CMs in the Lab and they will probably allow him to participate in the Lab activities with the 10-12s.

In my experience, boys don't mature as fast as girls. My DS is 3 years older than my DD and I had two going through puberty at THE SAME TIME. It certainly was interesting.

The goal of the CMs is for you and ALL your family to have a Magical time so they will work with you to find the best placement if you talk to them.

My stepson turned 14 in March and we went on the 7-day Eastern at the beginning of the month. He loved the Stack--best I could tell, they pretty much "hung out" and played video games.

I saw him walking the ship sometimes with his friends, and he was always back at the room promptly at curfew--which was 2am on some nights.

He doesn't get a lot of freedom at home with his mom--and I think this week was good for him to grow. He got to make decisions about what HE wanted to do and really enjoyed himself. That being said, we have very few pictures of him on this cruise except for dinner when he was required to join us. (He often left before dessert to join his friends again at the Stack.)

On CC, he "hung out" at the teen beach most of the day. I would say, however, that the teen activities at the Stack seemed to be preferred by the younger teens--but that could have just been our cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter