• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CT to JFK or Newark ?

jlcd

DIS Veteran
We are considering driving from CT to either JFK or Newark due to the availablity of better prices. Does anyone have experience with the drives in and out of these airports? Which one is easier? TIA

I've never driven to JFK but used to have to drive past it to get to one of my agents' offices. It wasn't bad (at least for me) because I stuck with the parkways (no big trucks).

I live in NJ and avoid JFK. Traffic is unbearable at times. At least driving to EWR you have multiple routes you can take to get there.

Hum good question it all depends on the time of day it is.

As a Staten islander I don't care for the belt parkway but I go to airport that has the best deal for me.

EWR is always quick ride. But JFK has more nonstop flights to mco. I would say go to whichever one suits your pockets and the time you want to fly at.

I was lucky for my upcoming trip I don't have to go to JFK but I have to go to LGA and fight the BQE but the price was right

Part of it depends on where in CT. Driving from along I-95 (New Haven, etc.,), especially closer to NY, it might be easier to get to JFK as you would avoid the Cross-Bronx Expy and the GWB to get into NJ. (There might be better ways to get to EWR; I'm not that familiar with that route.) Coming from further north along I-84 (Waterbury, Danbury, even Hartford), I would say it's easier to get EWR via the Tappanzee and Garden St Pkwy. (I drive Boston to NJ every couple of weeks, so I know the I-84 route very well.) I have to admit, however, I don't know the route to JFK well as we lived near the junction of the Prospect Expy and the Brooklyn-Queens Expy, much further west than the airport. My wife's Aunt and Uncle live in Westchester Co and generally fly from LGA. They flew from EWR a while back and commented on how easy the drive the airport was. (If you from further north in CT, have you also considered Stewart Airport in New Burgh, NY? It's near where I-84 & I-87 (the NY Thruway) come together and is served by JetBlue direct to MCO.)

Thanks for the replies. We would be driving in from the Hartford area so we could adjust to take 84 or 95 as needed but we live off 84. I have looked at Stewart and we have used White Plains in the past (and would like to again) but right now the flights are really high. I am hoping they come down, but watching Newark or JFK into Tampa in case they don't. It's more driving on both ends but at least we are not looking at $700 a ticket.

I always fly out of JFK since it is only 15 minutes from my house . I have never had a problem leaving . comming home usually to get out of the airport min 15-20 minutes due to all in comming traffic . but to me it is the closest and Jet blue is amazing too.

Have you considered flying out of Islip on Long Island? Someone on here suggested that to me for our trip in April of '08. We flew on SW and saved about $1,000 over flying out of Hartford or Providence. We drove to Bridgeport and took the Port Jefferson ferry over to Long Island to avoid the NY traffic.

HTH!

Have you considered flying out of Islip on Long Island? Someone on here suggested that to me for our trip in April of '08. We flew on SW and saved about $1,000 over flying out of Hartford or Providence. We drove to Bridgeport and took the Port Jefferson ferry over to Long Island to avoid the NY traffic.

HTH!

Thanks. I have a good chunk of Jet Blue credit I want to use, so Islip is out unless they are really cheap which I doubt. I am hoping the fares don't go up before SW comes out because I would like to compare but I think they will be high, especially out of Hartford.

We live in West Haven and I grew up in NJ, so we have done both airports. From my perspective, I would say it is much easier to get to Newark.

You can take 287 to the Parkway down to exit 142 (78) to Newark. By doing that, you avoid having to take either the Triboro or Whitestone and you don't need to go on the Cross Bronx. Plus I have always found onsite parking at Newark to be more accessible than JFK.

We live in West Haven and I grew up in NJ, so we have done both airports. From my perspective, I would say it is much easier to get to Newark.

You can take 287 to the Parkway down to exit 142 (78) to Newark. By doing that, you avoid having to take either the Triboro or Whitestone and you don't need to go on the Cross Bronx. Plus I have always found onsite parking at Newark to be more accessible than JFK.

Thanks! We are leaning toward Newark at this point. May have to do an overnight on one side so will probably look into some park and fly hotel options. Even with the parking and possible hotel we are going to come out way ahead in terms of money at this point.

grew up in jersey and live in stratford now, so i'm very familiar with both. if you have an early flight out, and leave from hartford that morning, it won't make much of a difference, and JFK might be a little bit closer. but if you are going to do a park and fly, i agree that newark would be a better option. traveling out to JFK via 95 at any time other than the crack of dawn can be a nightmare. if you are going to go to newark, you can take 84 to 684 to 287 (over the Tap) to the GSP and then take Rt 78 east out to the airport. or you can take 84 to 684 to 287 to 87 towards the city to 95 and go over the GW straight to the airport (but i would check to see if there is a home Yankee game or a Giants game if you are going to do this).

as you mentioned Westchester is a better option than either if you see the prices come down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter