CSR or POR?

tweis

DIS Veteran
I am a WDW newbie and I'm so confused as to which moderate resort to choose. Right now, I have a preferred room booked at CSR but now I'm thinking maybe I should have booked POR. We are a family of 4 and will arrive around noon on Saturday and will not go to the parks but will use this time to enjoy the pool and other amenities at the resort. On Sunday we will go to the MK and will probably take an afternoon break depending on how everyone is holding up. We will be checking out on Monday to head out on a cruise on the Disney Magic, so only two nights at the resort. Any opinions on which would be the better option? TIA

In my opinion you should go with POR. The day you arrive early, you can hop on a ferry boat to Downtown Disney and stroll and shop.

POR is also smaller and more intimate. CSR is a bigger, more sprawling resort that caters to conventions. If you end up in a room on the far side of the lake, you'll have a long hike to the eateries.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit biased since I've stayed twice at POR and loved it. ;)

Thank you. I have a preferred room booked which should get me closer at CSR I think and there are no preferred rooms available at POR, would that sway your opinion at all? Also, the pool is quite a bit smaller at POR, is it usually very crowded?

In my opinion you should go with POR. The day you arrive early, you can hop on a ferry boat to Downtown Disney and stroll and shop.

POR is also smaller and more intimate. CSR is a bigger, more sprawling resort that caters to conventions. If you end up in a room on the far side of the lake, you'll have a long hike to the eateries.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit biased since I've stayed twice at POR and loved it. ;)

:thumbsup2

I think it will depend on what you feel you will get the most out of the resorts since you will spend some time there.

I have stayed at CSR and loved it. I have not stayed at POR so can't comment on it. But I took full advantage of the spa and pools while at CSR.

It is a hotel with a convention center, but I wouldn't say it caters to conventioneers. They are placed in one area of the resort, and during my 10 day stay, never saw anyone attending the convention going on at the same time. I ate several time at Pepper Market and Cafe Rix.

I was in the Ranchos section (requested) and the walk to El Centro took 5 - 7 minutes at most.

I thought the spa and pool was exceptional. Even the quiet pools were excellent.

For more info Google Coronado_Springs tripod site. It's a great unofficial website on the resort.

Thank you. I have a preferred room booked which should get me closer at CSR I think and there are no preferred rooms available at POR, would that sway your opinion at all? Also, the pool is quite a bit smaller at POR, is it usually very crowded?

With the amount of resort time you are suggesting IMO there is more to enjoy at CSR. The pool is larger, the water slide is better, the hot tub is the largest on WDW property. The pool area has beach volleyball, shuffle board, playground, arcade, pool side bar etc. CSR also has a fitness center, spa, salon, sauna, and a large night club style lounge as well as a 3rd lounge by the lagoon. Also IMO there is no prettier resort at WDW when it's all lit up at night. I think there is more options for you to enjoy there. And for the record CSR and POR are close to the same size. POR has some bridges that make some of the walks 1-2 mins shorter but its still a large resort as well.

The best location at CSR is the Business Class rooms, if you can get one of those they are more centrally located to everything than the prefered rooms. Preferred rooms are close to the food, but some of them are aways from the pool. The BC rooms are a 2 min walk from the pool or food court.

I would definitely not say POR is smaller or more intimate than CSR. Both are large. In fact, POR has 2048 rooms compared to CSR's 1915. CSR's pool area is really great with playground, "Dig site," beach volleyball, huge hot tub, pool and waterslide, CS restaurant and bar plus arcade. It is the only place we will stay other than a Deluxe and we enjoy it. The convention aspect is a plus because a number of guests are off in meetings, not at the pool, etc.

With the amount of resort time you are suggesting IMO there is more to enjoy at CSR. The pool is larger, the water slide is better, the hot tub is the largest on WDW property. The pool area has beach volleyball, shuffle board, playground, arcade, pool side bar etc. CSR also has a fitness center, spa, salon, sauna, and a large night club style lounge as well as a 3rd lounge by the lagoon. Also IMO there is no prettier resort at WDW when it's all lit up at night. I think there is more options for you to enjoy there. And for the record CSR and POR are close to the same size. POR has some bridges that make some of the walks 1-2 mins shorter but its still a large resort as well.

The best location at CSR is the Business Class rooms, if you can get one of those they are more centrally located to everything than the prefered rooms. Preferred rooms are close to the food, but some of them are aways from the pool. The BC rooms are a 2 min walk from the pool or food court.

:thumbsup2

I would just drop the preferred room. That will only get you close to the main building(food), but the furthest away from the pool. If business class is available do that...or just go for a standard room and save the money. With Business class you get close to food, close to pool and a selection of food, drinks during the AM and early evening. IF you go standard, ask for something close to the pool since it sounds like you want pool time. You can always hop on the first bus that comes along to get to the food court or restaurant if you don't want to walk. You can google a map of any of these resorts to see what the layout is of them.

I would definitely not say POR is smaller or more intimate than CSR. Both are large. In fact, POR has 2048 rooms compared to CSR's 1915.

The number of guest rooms is irrelevant to my point. :teacher:

CSR has a big lake in the middle of the property, so it's geographically larger and more spread out. Compare the size of the jogging trails in the center of each resort. If you're on the wrong side of that lake, you're going to have a longer walk to the amenities. :moped:

POR has bridges connecting the farthest rooms to the island with the pool, so guests on the far side of the resort can cut through the middle to get to the main buildings.

It seems like OP has made arrangements to get a room that's closer, so maybe it's a non-issue.

Yes, I have a preferred room booked at CSR and there are no preferred rooms available at POR. Do you need a preferred room at POR? My DU agent actually suggested the preferred room at CSR due to the size of the property. I initially booked CSR because of the pool but I love the way that POR looks. I know that's a silly reason to book but there ya have it. ;)

My last stay at POR, I did the fax request for room preference and we got the room we chose. We asked for a room in Building 15, nearest to the bus stop that is directly in front of the main building. It was a great location. There is a path leading from the parking lot over to where the bus stop is. It's a quiet location, near one of the quiet pools.

I love CSR! It is my favorite resort. Your preferred room puts you right by the main building. The lake is beautiful and the pools are just amazing. POR is also very nice but I prefer the pool and hot tub over at CSR. The health club is another nice perk! I would leave it.

I have stayed at all moderate resorts except for POFQ, and my favorite is CSR as we feel CSR is as close to a deluxe as you can get with water craft rental options, as well as a fitness center and spa. But, as another pp stated, I think with a stay as short as yours you might like the boat ride from POR to DTD. I wouldn't worry about a preferred room in your situation as you'll not be visiting parks that much.

I changed our reservation from the preferred room at CSR to a royal room at POR. We are only going to be there 2 nights and we definitely plan on going to DTD for lunch shortly after arriving so I figure we can take the boat from POR and then enjoy the pools for the rest of the afternoon before having dinner (not sure where yet). Sunday we will be at MK all day with maybe an afternoon break at the pool. They both look awesome but POR just really appeals to me. Thanks for all your great advice. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter