CSR and Poly trip completed - our highs and lows (quite long)

nabby

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

We stayed at Coronado Springs Resort from 16/08/15 for 4 nights. It was the first time we'd stayed there (or at any moderate resort at Disney). We had a ground floor room facing the car park (set back though) in Cabanas 9A. It was a 2 minute walk to the quiet pool from our door.

Highs:
1) Really friendly, helpful CMs all over the resort. Nothing was too much for them. One amazing CM in the resort shop in the main building who was super-kind to my daughter for her birthday.
2) Amazing main pool. If you haven't seen it, it's fantastic. It's based around a Mayan pyramid and has a nice slide. The pool bar and quick service were very good too. Also, there are lots of shaded areas and a children's playground next to the pool.
3) Great food at Maya Grill and Pepper Market. We ate at Maya Grill the night we arrived and had an amazing rib-eye steak for two. Pepper Market had some great choices for a quick-service restaurant and loads of seating.
4) Our quiet pool was nice and quiet. It too had enough seating areas and was fun for our kids to splash around in.
5) Location. With a car we never felt that anything was too far. On our third day we drove to MK and it took 9 minutes to arrive in the MK TTC car park for our 8:15 breakfast at BOG. When we went to AKL to eat at Boma, it seemed to take next to no time to get there.
6) Resort setting. We loved the setting of CSR around the lake and our room was no more than 5 minutes walk to the main building. Likewise, the main pool was 5 minutes away. It was smaller than it seemed to be on a map. But as it is nicely spread out we were ever bothered by noise at night, except for fireworks from the parks!

Lows:
1) You notice the difference in room size and amenities between CSR and the deluxe resorts. It wasn't too cramped this time but might have been in a couple of years or so. The bathroom felt tiny, especially after we walked into our room at the Poly a few days later!
2) The direct access to the room from outside didn't make us feel any less secure but it did mean we had more "creatures" in our room than we might have done in a deluxe resort.

Overall:
We loved it enough to consider staying there again if the price was as good as we paid this time. We'd only have to be concerned about room size when our kids are older so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

We then stayed at the Polynesian from 8/20 to 8/29 in Tuvalu. We were on the top floor in the last room (3415) with a pretty nice view back towards the marina and GCH/main pool/Trader Sam's terrace. This was our first stay at the Poly but the second time we'd stayed at a deluxe resort.

Highs:
1) CMs were almost all fantastic at the Poly (as they were at CSR, to be fair). The one exception was the barman I got on the one night I went to Trader Sam's to buy cocktails for my wife and I. He was friendly but distracted and I didn't feel "the vibe". The drinks were excellent though. A big shout out to Tyler in Bell Services, Victoria at check-in (who saw my daughter's birthday button when we were checking in and brought her a small Stitch stuffed toy as a gift) and the staff in the shops and eateries. Whenever we met a CM walking about we were greeted with a smile and "Aloha!" and actually even the contractors doing maintenance and construction would often say hello to us.
2) The resort architecture was breathtaking and I may be in a minority here but I prefer the new GCH ground floor area to the old one. The weird smell has gone and the light pours in now.
3) The main pool is lovely and we had a great time in here with our kids, both at the children's play area and in the main pool. At no time did we find it crowded. We did make a note of going just before 9am to get our preferred location near to the gate by the marina and the pool was noticeably busier in the afternoons when we were about (as Brits, we are not used to such heat and humidity so we tended to leave the pool by 1pm at the latest). I think that the children's play area is possibly the best one amongst the Disney hotels on-site.
4) Captain Cooks had nice food and was convenient.
5) The main ground floor shop (the name escapes me for now) had a nice variety of items and souvenirs and always played the best music. It's my favourite of all the resort shops now and puts the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Contemporary and GF stores to shame, in my opinion. I picked up some wonderful souvenirs from here.
6) Monorail services were excellent, with the exception of one return journey on our final day from MK to the Poly, where we must have sat at two stations of the three for 10 minutes at each station.
7) Kona Cafe was very good and we enjoyed the coffee (of course!) and the food, especially the Pineapple-Macadamia Nut pancakes!

Lows:
1) The Poly's main pool isn't as warm as the one at Coronado Springs by some distance, even though the CSR main pool appears to be bigger.
2) Lining up for food orders at Captain Cook's was pure pot luck. Some days the line moved quick, some days slow. There was too little space and too many folk hanging around waiting for their orders getting in the way unintentionally.
3) The self-service soft drinks machines at Captain Cook's were constantly out of ice or not working. Often there was a lot of wasted ice sitting in the drip trays and I witnessed many kids going up unsupervised (not an issue in itself), pushing in front of others (more of an issue, imo) then taking an age to decide what they wanted before filling their cup with ice to the brim and then pouring half or more of it away. Parents - have a word please!!!
4) The grooves in the countertops by the drinks machines in Captain Cook's must have been designed by someone out for revenge as they have been made to be something like an 1/8th of an inch too close together to allow a refillable mug to sit in between them without it leaning over.
5) 'Ohana breakfast was a disappointment from the POV of the food. Little in terms of food for non-meat eaters. Two small pieces of bread for four of us when we sat down and a small platter of fruit. The biscuits, which are way too salty for our tastes as a family and especially for our kids, went to waste. Our server was nice though. But compared to two years ago when we last ate here for breakfast, it was not as good. No welcome photo and garland. There was a Memory Maker photographer following Stitch around the tables but only Stitch, not the other three characters.
6) The lights on the path around the marina to the Tuvalu building were never turned on at night, which made it a pain when pushing a stroller and carrying a sleeping child. Also the path flooded just before you reach the Tuvalu entrance and took ages to drain away and dry out.
7) The Poly elevators. In the GCH there are only two and given people are going to/from the second floor for the monorail or dining/shopping options it seems a tiny number. Additionally we saw a lot, and I mean a lot, of fit people who didn't need to use an elevator but chose to, which added to delays for us (we had a stroller with child in it) and many others who had strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs or walking aids. Also the GCH elevators are grotty inside, and I mean grotty. In our longhouse the elevators were tiny and we could barely fit two adults and two kids (one in a stroller) inside.
8) The beige/taupe Polynesian Resort Hawaiian shirts were only in stock in a medium and the CMs had no idea when other sizes were due in. At no point during our stay did I see any other sizes for adults. Surely they're missing a trick here!!

Overall:
We loved the Poly (big surprise!) and would love to stay there again, if we got a great room deal like this time. The resort is beautiful, the ongoing works didn't bother us at all and the location is fantastic. It seems to have more soul than the other deluxe resorts, although I think the GF might run it close (not stayed there so can't comment).

General comments on our trip:

Things we liked:
1) The CMs everywhere at WDW were very good.
2) The weather was very good and the almost daily thunderstorms didn't bother us too much.
3) We loved all four Disney Parks. Yes, even HS!
4) The character interactions we had were fantastic, especially Anna and Elsa! Our daughter (who was five on 21st August) and Elsa played peek-a-boo with our 18 month old son using Elsa's dress to hide behind.
5) Biergarten Restaurant at Epcot (Germany) was very, very good and we met a lovely family from Seattle who were at our table.
6) Visible improvements to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, although there is a lot more to go!
7) Some nice shopping bargains at a number of places.
8) The food at Hollywood 'n' Vine was far, far better than on any previous visit. I'd happily do breakfast here again next time.
9) Our daughter getting signed birthday cards from the Big Five at Chef Mickey's and from Belle and Beast at Be Our Guest.
10) Our daughter being brave enough to ride ToT, BTMRR, SplashM and HM multiple times and enjoying each one hugely! She's a big Scooby Doo and Gravity Falls fan so ToT and HM were right up her street. But SplashM was her favourite. She was just too short for EE and SpaceM so those will be next time.
11) Disney Mini Golf. Always fun!

Things that bothered us:
1) Boys and men walking out of the restrooms and not washing their hands. Especially out of the stalls!!! I can't believe people do this. I saw this constantly, both inside Disney and outside. Nationality or ethnicity didn't seem to matter. They just didn't give a -----.
2) Linecutters. One, on Under The Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid at MK, who used his young daughter as an excuse to cut past everyone in a 20 minutes line (standby), saying he was trying to get out, only to get past the second CM checkpoint and skip round a whole load more people to jump onto the ride. Another in the FP+ line for TSMM at HS. The family in front of us let another family in line in front of them as "their fast passes were valid from that exact time". Annoying when you've lined up for 5-10 minutes already. Go to the back like everyone else, people!
3) Very poor customer service experience at the Michael Kors outlet in Vineland Road Premium Outlets. Bad enough to put my wife off shopping there ever again.
4) Traffic chaos at Downtown Disney on a Saturday evening. We ended up going back to the Poly via Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf and went to DD another day in the morning, which was way more relaxed.

Most amusing thing I saw (at least to my slightly warped, British sense of humour):
I had just parked the stroller outside Hollywood 'n' Vine for our breakfast and was walking back along the raised "verandah" waiting area towards the entrance to the restaurant. An elderly lady (in her 60's or 70's I'd say) came along in her ECV, possibly at about 10mph. Too fast, anyway, for where she was riding and where she was going. As she approached the last of the strollers lined up and spied a a parking spot for her ECV she did a hard left turn to drive up towards the dwarf wall and promptly drove into the wall with a large bang as she had completely forgotten to use the brakes! Cue a lot of sniggering from me and few others who saw what happened. A CM rapidly appeared on scene and helped her off the ECV. And she was fine. He then gave a quick crash-course (LOL, pun intended) in how to use the darn ECV properly.

Given the increasing number of these things flying around the paths of WDW, perhaps some sort of licensing is needed (perhaps with some breathalyser tests too for good measure)!

We're staying at CSR for the first time next year (we did SSR last year, and were upgraded to a one bed villa for the two of us, so we had HEAPS of space!) and it was really great to read your highs and lows of it! So many people seem to be unhappy with it, but it's great to hear such positive stuff! Glad you had a great time! :)

It sounds like you had a great trip with not too many lows. :) We did breakfast at H and V too. We found the food fine but the characters coming around to the tables seemed very slow compared to other character meals we did.

Sounds wonderful! Also glad to hear positives about CSR - we hope we'll like it too! The Poly also sounded great, we always like to have an evening there, but missed it last time due to renovations. Planning dinner at Kona and a cocktail at Trader Sam's next summer. :beach:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter