Crystal Palace or Sci Fi Drive In?

gracerussell

Mouseketeer
We ate at CP last trip. It was fun, good food, but not our favorite. This time around I would like to try Sci Fi Drive In. We have 2 kids, DS7 and DD2. Thoughts?

I really did not enjoy sci-fi. The "movie was a short thing that looped over and over, must have watched the same clip 20 times during dinner. I also was not impressed with the food (basically Diner fare) or the service (slow and impersonal) there. I would much prefer to go to Boma or Ohana, or even Crystal Palace over Sci-Fi. HS really doesnt have any great choices for me as I dont really care for Brown Derby's menu....

I'd go to Sci Fi Dine In over CP just because of the price different, which is significant because of the characters at CP. However, if you are looking for a character meal, then CP would be a good choice.

I prefer the Sci Fi because I think the movie clips are hilarious, the atmosphere is fun and the food is not outrageously priced. I do not like the character buffets because they are crazy expensive and the food isn't that great for the price you pay. If I wanted to pay $50 for my meal, I'd go to signature dining instead.

P.S. The fried pickles at Sci-Fi were great!

I like Sci Fi a lot and it's a fun venue. As a PP said, the food is kind of "diner" style foods (hamburgers, sandwiches, etc.), but still tasty. The only major drawback is seating. The car benches are generally designed for two people (or three is one is a very small child). If your party is split between two benches, it's kind of hard to talk. But there are movie clips and cartoons to watch!

The movie clips consist of "sci-fi themed" cartoons, clips/previews from very old sci fi movies, and fake drive in commercials. All in all, they pretty cute, but if you have a very sensitive child, they might be a little scared by some of the monsters. Here is a link to a thread with a list of the clips (it doesn't include the "ads"). The loop itself is about 45 minutes in length, so you'll probably see the first few things twice, but a meal at Sci Fi takes about 60 minutes.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2772886

DW and I really enjoy Sci Fi. The food is good(not great) but the whole experience is fun.

Thanks! We already have four character meals booked (CRT, CM, Tusker and BOG - which is not a full on character meal but sort of) - so we will do Sci Fi. Appreciate the feedback!

We are doing Sci-Fi for the 1st time in February. My boys are 8 & 6 and I think they will really enjoy the atmosphere. Hope you enjoy your meal and have fun!!!

Hmmm, we love SCI FI and we love CP - for different reasons. Sci Fi for the atmosphere and experience and CP for the character interaction. That's a tough choice. Food is great at both but maybe a little more "interesting" at Sci Fi.

Love both places. But SciFi is one of our faves. Love the quiet and cool atmosphere. Love the drive-in style. Clips are funny. And most important, the food to us has always been good. Most recently i had the picnic burger. It was great!!! And the oreo shake was truly to die for!

I would actually go against the grain and not suggest Sci Fi just because of your family make-up and the seating arrangements there, as someone mentioned. Basically you sit two people in a "car" seat. You could squeeze in a third very small child, but it will be tighter. At 2, I'm assuming your daughter might still need help with some things, so easier to be sitting next to one of the adults. If that's the case, either you or your husband will sit with each child in one seat. This will make it next to impossible for the two adults to have a conversation at all. Or you sit your daughter between you and then your son's all on his own. Or you sit the two kids together and then trying to help with anything they need becomes a hassle.

Is any of that making sense at all? We went when the kids were older and had a great time! I'd save this one for a later trip!

I agree with @mom2! My kids when they were 2 would not do well with the movies being shown or the sitting in the dark (they scared easily). I really liked Sci Fi though. And my kids are older now and just love it.

I think if you actually WENT to drive-ins and saw some of the movies they show clips of, then you will really enjoy Sci-Fi Dine In. Since more and more people never lived those experiences, it doesn't surprise me they are not interested. It all depends on your experiences when you were coming of age. I also doubt any little kid would get it.

We have eaten at both, and I think sci-fi has better food. I got the veggie burger and it was the best one I have ever eaten!

I think if you actually WENT to drive-ins and saw some of the movies they show clips of, then you will really enjoy Sci-Fi Dine In. Since more and more people never lived those experiences, it doesn't surprise me they are not interested. It all depends on your experiences when you were coming of age. I also doubt any little kid would get it.

Our dd7 is obsessed with Sci-Fi, and never heard of a drive-in. She could watch the clips all nite!!! We love "the cat that hated people" !!! :rotfl2:

We have never eaten at Sci Fi, but we recently ate at CP and I thought the food was terrible. The character interaction was just Ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter